Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jesus COMMANDED us to order dead people to come back to life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus COMMANDED us to order dead people to come back to life

OK, that's not my opinion, but something I encountered that was quite unsettling.

Gotta get this off my chest.

As EMS Chaplain, I received a callout (after having been out all day dealing with fatality accidents) because one of the EMS Paramedics (let's call him John) discovered his own father having difficulty breathing.
    Long story short, John called his District Chief who sent help, and his dad was in cardiac arrest when they arrived.
    John had been doing CPR on his dad, when the first to arrive was a police officer friend of mine who is CPR certified, and he took over for John.
    Very shortly after that, several EMS units arrived, and they worked well as a team to revive John's Dad.
    They actually "got him back" for about 4 minutes, then he went into arrest again, this time, unresponsive to any treatment.

They transported the body to the hospital, as is standard procedure when EMS is involved, and I arrived at the hospital shortly thereafter.
    I was still in uniform from all the activity earlier in the day, which made it much easier to access areas of the hospital normally restricted.

One of the family members was there in the ER nurse station lobby, and pointed me to the room where the body lay.

Mom was sitting next to the body, leaning over it, holding her husband's hand, sobbing.... and I sat next to her, my arm around her, not saying anything.
    John was there at this point, and he explained to his mom that I was their Chaplain, and he was glad I was there.
    In cases like this, I try to find an opportune moment to ask if they have a pastor they'd like me to call, or can I call anybody or do anything.
    She responded that they had just started going back to Church after many years of not, and she didn't know if her pastor would come.
    We called him anyway, and I continued to sit with the family.

After some time, the door opened, and four people I did not know entered, one of them in a coat and tie, and I'm thinking this must be the pastor.
    They were rather abrupt in their entry, walking to the head of the bed, and the "pastor guy" spoke loudly -

On behalf of the family, we are going to pray to bring the dead back to life - because Jesus COMMANDED us to order dead people to come back to life.
    There is no guarantee this will work, but it's what Jesus COMMANDED us to do. (No doubt a reference to Matthew 10:8 - (Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons.)
    So, all four of them stretched out their hands over the body, and the "pastor guy" began to pray, ORDERING the deceased to "come back", and peppering his prayer with "in the Name of Jesus and the Power of His Blood".... "Come BACK"... we order you in the name of Jesus to come back to us....
    He kept praying like that, as the others were praying silently, but I could tell they were "using their prayer languages".
    It was VERY awkward as they took times ORDERING the deceased to come back.

At one point, I glanced over at John to see how he was responding, and he was looking right at me like "what do I do?"
    All of this caught me so totally off guard, and if this WAS their pastor, it's not really my place to interrupt.

Then I happened to look out the window of the room into the nurses' lobby, and I saw the Justice of the Peace - a good friend of mine - and quietly slipped out the door to greet him.
    I knew he was there to pronounce death, so I told him it might be a while, because they were praying, and had been for a good 10 minutes or so.
    JP looked at me and said "a real prayer meeting, eh?" I told him they were commanding the body to come back to life.

JP is very quick-witted and always has a sense of humor, and he responded, "Great! That will save me some paperwork!"

Anyway, they finally finished praying, the body stayed dead, and JP entered the room to do his pronouncement.

I have NEVER encountered anything like this. Anybody?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Bethel Church in Redding, Bill Johnson, Word of Faith, NAR, did the same thing with a little girl named Olive, the daughter of people in the "church", who died. Didn’t work.

These are typical faith healers and false prophets who take scripture out of context and do horrible damage to the lives and spiritual condition of those who follow them. The pop preachers thread here on the site probably mentions the Bethel incident, but here is an article from Bethel itself.

https://www.bethel.com/news/olive-heiligenthal

Bethel is among the worst of these WoF groups.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Bethel Church in Redding, Bill Johnson, Word of Faith, NAR, did the same thing with a little girl named Olive, the daughter of people in the "church", who died. Didn’t work.
      Yeah, this "pastor" seemed to acknowledge at the beginning that this happens elsewhere, but he made the comment, "we have heard reports where this works" --- I'd love to have a discussion with him to find out where "this works".

These are typical faith healers and false prophets who take scripture out of context and do horrible damage to the lives and spiritual condition of those who follow them. The pop preachers thread here on the site probably mentions the Bethel incident, but here is an article from Bethel itself.

https://www.bethel.com/news/olive-heiligenthal

Bethel is among the worst of these WoF groups.
      As I watched John's facial expression, he appeared to be very uncomfortable with this. I do not believe John is a Christian, but I do believe he's on the way. He's a really good guy, and I believe he is seeking. I will have some good follow-ups with him.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ordering God to perform miracles is like expecting God to be discoverable through scientific inquiry.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Ordering God to perform miracles is like expecting God to be discoverable through scientific inquiry.
          And that's what it was - COMMANDING the deceased to return --- then they'd turn to pleading, then back to ORDERING him to come back, rinse/repeat.
          It really was uncomfortable, and I am very curious to know what mom thought about it all.

To me, it seemed like they were, at best, pushing false hope. John and I have a good relationship, so somewhere down the road, he'll let me know.

Meanwhile, as EMS Chaplain, the head of the organization (who is a very solid committed Christian) and I have an agreement where I don't tell him about interactions with "our people" because of the expectation of confidentiality.

On THIS, however, I felt he really needed to know about it, as he will be interacting with John as we move toward the funeral plans.

Comment

By the way - I'm keeping an eye out for the Obit, because it will list what church or organization is presiding over the funeral.
            I have my suspicions, but I'm waiting for the actual Obit.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              According to WoF, God cannot act until we give Him permission to do so.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I remember somebody telling me of an incident about thirty years ago in southern New Jersey. I was attending a Nazarene Church at that time, and several of the members had family in a local AOG church. There was a funeral at the AOG church, and during the funeral somebody got up and commanded the dead person to come back to life in Jesus' name. Of course, it didn't. But it was an embarrassment to the family.
                When I Survey....

Comment

For REAL!?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                    I remember somebody telling me of an incident about thirty years ago in southern New Jersey. I was attending a Nazarene Church at that time, and several of the members had family in a local AOG church. There was a funeral at the AOG church, and during the funeral somebody got up and commanded the dead person to come back to life in Jesus' name. Of course, it didn't. But it was an embarrassment to the family.
                    So, if you're going to command a dead person to come back to life, it's best not to start off with a disclaimer that "this may not work". Either you have faith to do it or you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And that's what it was - COMMANDING the deceased to return --- then they'd turn to pleading, then back to ORDERING him to come back, rinse/repeat.
                      It really was uncomfortable, and I am very curious to know what mom thought about it all.

To me, it seemed like they were, at best, pushing false hope. John and I have a good relationship, so somewhere down the road, he'll let me know.

Meanwhile, as EMS Chaplain, the head of the organization (who is a very solid committed Christian) and I have an agreement where I don't tell him about interactions with "our people" because of the expectation of confidentiality.

On THIS, however, I felt he really needed to know about it, as he will be interacting with John as we move toward the funeral plans.
                      Desperate despairing people do desperate despairing things.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

My reaction changes the middle letter in WoF

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Desperate despairing people do desperate despairing things.
                          I don't think these people were even really attached to the family in any way --- again, waiting for the Obit, but I suspect I know who they are, and I suspect that the "pastor" is actually a newly ordained "elder" of this particular Church. He knew me and greeted me my name, but I only kinda sorta know who he is from seeing him around.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

For REAL!?!?!?!
                            Yes.

Comment

I started learning about the WoF and NAR and the like more than a decade ago. The mother of a young man in our church attended one of these, and became ill with cancer.

"have enough faith and you’ll be healed," they said. "You don’t need doctors, just have faith," they said.

This young guy watched his mom die in despair because she thought she didn’t have enough faith. They use faith as a hammer instead of a comfort and an encouragement.

MelMak had been listening to Justin Peters, who, because of his own illness and experience (or lack thereof) with faith healers, has made it his life's work to expose these people. We also found Chris Rosebrough of Fighting for the Faith, and Steve Kozar of The Messed Up Church. All excellent resources for learning about theses heretical teachers.

Comment