Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

I need some help with a song!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I did a search for all three phrases, and couldn't find anything that looked close.
    Did the same. Came up empty.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I did a search for all three phrases, and couldn't find anything that looked close. It did lead me to a nice homeschool curriculum, however.
      Glad I could help!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Did the same. Came up empty.
        Thanks.

I'm starting to wonder if the song I recall on the record was an addendum to another, more familiar song. Which may have only been written for that particular instance.

I’m going to go through Mom's library again, and I’m going to ask my 2 sisters that we’re living at home about the same time as I. Hopefully I'll figure it out.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Thanks.

I'm starting to wonder if the song I recall on the record was an addendum to another, more familiar song. Which may have only been written for that particular instance.

I’m going to go through Mom's library again, and I’m going to ask my 2 sisters that we’re living at home about the same time as I. Hopefully I'll figure it out.
          Also possible that you might have got the phrasing slightly off.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Also possible that you might have got the phrasing slightly off.
            Very possible. I did try "no eye has seen", but no luck with that, either.

Comment

Thanks.

Write it and publish it!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Write it and publish it!
                I don't think I could, but I know someone who can!

The Melody Maker

Comment

My sister remembered!

It's called God's Great Grace. The record it was on was a different one than I had remembered, but the same group. Hence, it's not in the songbook I have. I can't find a version of that choir singing it, but I found this one, which is the same, but sung by a soprano, so it's very high pitched.

The part I remembered is the chorus, and the last line is:

"T'will stand unmeasured while the ages roll."

Now, I need to hunt down the lyrics. I find the singer in the video somewhat hard to understand, but that might be my hearing aids. I struggle sometimes with higher pitched sounds.

There! We've all learned something today!

Comment

The album is Paul Mickelson's Choirsing Volume 3. I have the book for Volume 2.

I've asked my sisters if one of them has the book or the album. Can't find another rendition on line, at all.

Comment

Here's what I was able to make out with the help of The Needle™. See if it looks right to you.

1. No man hath known, nor can we grasp the reason,
                      The reach of grace that's lifted you and me.
                      When we were sinners, still the Father loved us:
                      'Twas love that led my Lord to Calvary.

CHORUS:
                      Eye hath not seen, nor hath the depths of love been sounded:
                      O love divine that ransomed my poor soul!
                      My sin was great, but God's great grace much more abounded:
                      T'will stand unmeasured while the ages roll!

2. When pressures of this life increase your burden --
                      When strength is needed in abundant store --
                      'Tis then, we hear the Saviour's blessed promise:
                      "My grace is all-sufficient. Trust Me more."

CHORUS:
                      Eye hath not seen, nor hath the depths of love been sounded:
                      O love divine that ransomed my poor soul!
                      My sin was great, but God's great grace much more abounded:
                      T'will stand unmeasured while the ages roll!
                      (And I had the worst time figuring out that last line of the chorus until I re-read one of your previous posts saying what it is. )
                      Last edited by The Melody Maker; 08-29-2023, 05:47 PM. Reason: Fixed a few minor details after re-listening.
                      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                        Here's what I was able to make out with the help of The Needle™. See if it looks right to you.

(And I had the worst time figuring out that last line of the chorus until I re-read one of your previous posts saying what it is. )
                        I can't remember most of it. What's The Needle?

Comment

I can't remember most of it. What's The Needle?
                          In this context, this is "The Needle™".
                          ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post

In this context, this is "The Needle™".
                            Oh! Interesting. I've been using Goldwave for many years but never for that particular function. It does a great job of cleaning up defects and damage on old records and making them sound presentable again.

Comment

The album is Paul Mickelson's Choirsing Volume 3. I have the book for Volume 2.

I've asked my sisters if one of them has the book or the album. Can't find another rendition on line, at all.
                              https://www.amazon.com/ChoirSing-Mic.../dp/B09NRSP58Y ?

Comment

Thanks. I don’t want the record. One of my sisters has it, I think. I wouldn’t mind the songbook, but I don’t know if mom ever had it, and if one of my sisters has it they aren’t telling me so.

I really just want the music in order to sing the song.

And I think MelMak is working on that. He hears music and creates sheet music for it, the talented fellow.

He might need to write a third verse, too. Hint, hint…

Comment