Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is this a disrespectful way to clean a church building?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

Well, we are in the process of building our own building. Soon, we won't need the old place anymore.
    That was going to be my other suggestion, either burn it down (which would be disrespectful) or abandon it.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      The mangy pirate knows.

Back in 1998 he walked into a gay bar on a dare and he's still pulling glitter out of pockets -- including of clothes he just bought!
      Not any more. I burned down my entire wardrobe except one glitter filled sock which I hid in your house. Enjoy.

Comment

I don't think it's necessarily disrespectful, but it's bad cleaning technique because it's simply relocating the dust and dirt instead of removing it.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yeah, it's not like we proposed the idea to the parish council or anything. My dad just kind of snuck the thing in and did it behind my mother's back. I think the priest only just found out yesterday. I don't know who told him. I did hear one other person disapprove, but it was for the reason Sparko brought up; the potential for dust to scatter. That's actually the reason it's been restricted to the seating area and not up front where the altar is.
          Was the priest unhappy with it?

I think it's a great idea, as long as you have pretty good control over where the dust is going.

And I don’t think it’s disrespectful at all. The building is just a building, after all, and the Lord resides within His people, not within the walls of a building. So I would hazard an opinion that He is not bothered by it at all. Unless if it causes some kind of division among the people.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

And, wouldn't a vacuum be a better option all around? A broom takes a long time, and the vacuum would pick up the dust as you go.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Not any more. I burned down my entire wardrobe except one glitter filled sock which I hid in your house. Enjoy.
              A sock? Might be years before I ever touch it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                I don't think it's necessarily disrespectful, but it's bad cleaning technique because it's simply relocating the dust and dirt instead of removing it.
                The only advantage is getting is that it apparently got it out from corners as well as nooks and crannies that kept getting missed. Just be sure to dust after, not before.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  And, wouldn't a vacuum be a better option all around? A broom takes a long time, and the vacuum would pick up the dust as you go.

We have a vacuum, but it's a very old, very heavy, very bulky Kirby, which we use for carpeted areas only. Regardless, my mother hates it when any of us use a vacuum on hard floors. She insists that a broom is the only thing that can be used to clean a hard floor, and everything else (even a vacuum cleaner) just spreads dirt around. I don't know why she thinks that.
                  Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

We have a vacuum, but it's a very old, very heavy, very bulky Kirby, which we use for carpeted areas only. Regardless, my mother hates it when any of us use a vacuum on hard floors. She insists that a broom is the only thing that can be used to clean a hard floor, and everything else (even a vacuum cleaner) just spreads dirt around. I don't know why she thinks that.
                    Okay, then. I am always looking for an easier solution for things, that involve less work.

So is your mom upset enough that your dad won't do it again?

Comment

Was the priest unhappy with it?

I think it's a great idea, as long as you have pretty good control over where the dust is going.

And I don’t think it’s disrespectful at all. The building is just a building, after all, and the Lord resides within His people, not within the walls of a building. So I would hazard an opinion that He is not bothered by it at all. Unless if it causes some kind of division among the people.
                      He did say it was fine, as long as it's restricted to the seating area only. He doesn't want too much dirt stirred up near the altar. So we still just sweep that.

Comment

He did say it was fine, as long as it's restricted to the seating area only. He doesn't want too much dirt stirred up near the altar. So we still just sweep that.

So you just need to convince your mom that it's ok.

Is there a way the church would invest in a little vacuum that would be lighter than the Kirby? Something portable that doesn't weigh much? We have one here in the house that's pretty good. Might be a Shark, I can't remember for sure right now. It has a handheld piece that you can use separately, which attaches to a wand with a power bar sort of thing with 2 settings, one for floors and one for carpets. It is handy when I don't want to pull out the built-in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Glitter is of the Devil!!! You can never get rid of it. It's worse than dog hair!
                          It can also take people's eyes out. A YouTube channel called Brew did a video on it. Don't watch it unless you have a strong stomach. That goes for most of the videos on the channel.

Comment

Quanta, your church doesn't have glitter coming out of the a/c vents like the WoF churches have? You're not showering the people with "gold dust" which those churches claim is a sign of God's glory?

Comment

Okay, then. I am always looking for an easier solution for things, that involve less work.

So is your mom upset enough that your dad won't do it again?

I am the same way. I'd rather vacuum than sweep, and I think it's actually ideal. Brooms do stir up some dust, whatever my mother thinks.

Even if we had a suitable vacuum cleaner, she would probably have fits if he tried to use it anywhere other than the rooms that are carpeted.

Comment

I am the same way. I'd rather vacuum than sweep, and I think it's actually ideal. Brooms do stir up some dust, whatever my mother thinks.

Even if we had a suitable vacuum cleaner, she would probably have fits if he tried to use it anywhere other than the rooms that are carpeted.
                                I guess as long as she's willing to sweep, may as well let her where the leaf blower isn't to be used by the altar.

Comment