Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bible Versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bible Versions

I need a new Bible. I have been thinking about which version to buy. I have narrowed it down to TNIV or the NET bible. Which would you choose, and does anyone have reason to persuade me away from either of these translations?

Thanks.

PS: Please feel free to recommend another translation you feel is superior to the two listed above.

I recommend KJV and NASB, in that order. Actual translations, not interpretations. I think NET is pretty much the worst. And if you like a really PC, feminist-friendly Bible, certainly go with the latest NIV.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
      ..I think NET is pretty much the worst..
      Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
        I need a new Bible. I have been thinking about which version to buy. I have narrowed it down to TNIV or the NET bible. Which would you choose, and does anyone have reason to persuade me away from either of these translations? Please feel free to recommend another translation you feel is superior to the two listed above.
        ESV enjoys broad evangelical consensus for accuracy, albeit its readability is occasionally clunky. TNIV (now known simply as NIV, because the old NIV is not currently published) has come under fire for a degree of gender egalitarianism that has the effect of obscuring some OT passages fulfilled in Christ.

Comment

It depends on what you're using the Bible for. I use (and would recommend) NET for studying because at just about every interpretational juncture there's a footnote detailing other possible renderings (and why they were not chosen). These cover issues ranging from textual criticism to grammar to the English diction used.

Comment

Have you even considered a Parallel Bible?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just learn Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. They are not as hard as people think. It takes some time, so in the meantime you can just focus on a few verses at a time. I really think this is the best way to approach the Bible. Why waste time with translations? It can be useful to consult many translations of others while you are learning to read the inspired texts, but try not to waste too much time on them. God will greatly value your faithful efforts.
              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I need a new Bible. I have been thinking about which version to buy. I have narrowed it down to TNIV or the NET bible. Which would you choose, and does anyone have reason to persuade me away from either of these translations?

Thanks.

PS: Please feel free to recommend another translation you feel is superior to the two listed above.
                You may wish to check out the Holman Christian Standard Bible if you haven't already. There a numerous margin notes and the translation of the text seems to lie somewhere between the New International Version and the English Standard Version. It is a kind of compromise between dynamic and formal equivalence referred to by Holman as "optimal equivalence" (somewhat gimmicky, I know). The publishing house is Baptistic in orientation.
                Last edited by The Remonstrant; 03-22-2014, 09:03 AM.
                For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                  ESV enjoys broad evangelical consensus for accuracy, albeit its readability is occasionally clunky. TNIV (now known simply as NIV, because the old NIV is not currently published) has come under fire for a degree of gender egalitarianism that has the effect of obscuring some OT passages fulfilled in Christ.
                  I would second RBerman's recommendation for the English Standard Version. I will typically use this version of the Bible in conjunction with the HCSB. You may have noticed that I often quote texts of Scripture from the ESV on T-Web. The ESV is in the same basic vein as the NASB, RSV and the NKJV. The one thing I do prefer about the Holman is its copious notes (margin notes and bullet notes).
                  For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

New American Standard.

ESV would be my second choice.
                    Last edited by mossrose; 03-22-2014, 02:19 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I'm rather fond of my 1599 Geneva Bible, but I can't really pinpoint any particular translational reason for this. I just like it.

Otherwise, I have always been comfortable with the NASB, and heard only good things about the ESV.
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

I am still strongly considering the NET bible for reasons cited by Paprika. I like the NASB, however, when was the last time it was updated/revised? I shy away from the ESV because I am concerned about sectarian bias, however, is this of my own imagining? The ESV also seems to be a favorite of the New Calvinists and Piper cubs, and I like to be just a bit different.

Comment

As I've heard ESV and NASB are the two most literal of modern translations, I use ESV myself, though it is a bit clunky.
                          Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

I am still strongly considering the NET bible for reasons cited by Paprika. I like the NASB, however, when was the last time it was updated/revised? I shy away from the ESV because I am concerned about sectarian bias, however, is this of my own imagining? The ESV also seems to be a favorite of the New Calvinists and Piper cubs, and I like to be just a bit different.
                            ESV and NASB are quite similar.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

An issue with the ESV was pointed out by Daniel B. Wallace:

"The elegance of the translation is excellent, and the translation is very good. I am happy to endorse the ESV, with the understanding that the scholarship, largely because it was restricted to evangelicals and was, within this realm, not as broadly based as some would like to see, took a downturn from previous iterations. (The translation committee, for example, used some irritating evangelical ‘trump cards’ in places where the text really does not say what they want it to say. No cardinal doctrine is involved in these places, but they nevertheless are problems in regard to accuracy.)"

https://bible.org/article/net-niv-es...cal-comparison

So, despite the fact that no translation is flawless, I would nevertheless like to steer clear of the ESV for the above reason(s) alone.

Comment