Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

SBC booted Saddleback over female pastors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    On her Facebook page, Marg Mowczko reposted this article from May 2021 in response to the news: There are Women Pastors in the New Testament.
    I read through some of the responses on the linked page, including your own. The name, νυμφαν (nymphan), is in the accusative case which doesn't help to differentiate whether it is a masculine or feminine word. Accents don't help because they were seldom used in the first century - it would boil down to the translator's opinion of what the accent should be. The Byzantine text shows "his house," the UBS5 shows "her house." Altogether too murky an argument as support for either view.

As to Junia,

https://www.touchstonemag.com/archiv...id=21-08-022-f
    Who, then, is guilty of the sex change? Stand up the thirteenth (1927) edition of Nestle: the standard Greek Testament beloved of twentieth-century “scientific” and “modern” biblical scholarship! Again—Yes! Not Dark Age monks; not obscurantist popes; not medieval misogynist conspirators; not pre-Enlightenment bigots; it is the brightest and the best of liberal European and North American modern scholarship that took a reconstructive scalpel to Junia’s groin. All subsequent Greek Testaments, including the influential United Bible Society editions, slavishly followed the obviously infallible magisterium of the younger Nestle without qualm or hesitation.
    As far as translations are concerned, the Latin Vulgates give either Juniam or Juliam, a manifestly feminine name; and the sixteenth-century English translations, including the Authorized Version and the Roman Catholic version from Rheims, regarded the name as feminine. Belleville and Epp show that the overwhelming number of writers and commentators in the first Christian millennium and a half believed St. Paul was addressing a female Junia; and like Burer and Wallace, whose 2001 NTS article (arguing that Junia was not an apostle) ignited the present phase of this controversy, they agree that the feminine form of the name is overwhelmingly more probable (or, to use Eppspeak, certain).

The argument that Junia was said to be "deemed worthy by the apostles" only arose after the argument that she was a male finally collapsed under the weight of evidence. The problem with the "deemed" worthy story is - there is no "deemed" anywhere near the text; it has been pulled out of thin air. "They who are," not "they who are considered," and "outstanding among the apostles," not "outstanding by the apostles."
    Romans 16:7
    1 ασπασασθε vb: aor, mid, imprtvindctv, 2pp you (pl)   give <...> welcome greet, welcome, embrace, salute, pay one's respects, acclaim, hail   ασπαζομαι
    2 ανδρονικον τον noun: acc masc sgl Andronicus (name, dir obj)   ανδρονικος 〆
    3 και και cnjnctn and also, and, too broad and general connective use - e.g. connecting two nouns, may mean "of."
    4 ιουνιαν τον noun: acc fem sgl Junia (name, dir obj)   ιουνιας 〆
    τους 0 dem pronτον acc, masc, pl ... "the" (pl, dir obj), not applicable in translation ο
    6 συγγενεις η.τη noun: nom.dtv fem sgl ‡ relatives (dir obj) συγγενης
    5 μου pronoun: gtv 1ps of_me of_memymine εγω
    7 και και cnjnctn and also, and, too broad and general connective use - e.g. connecting two nouns, may mean "of."
    8 συναιχμαλωτους adj τους: acc masc pl   fellow prisoners (dir obj) co-captive, fellow prisoner   συναιχμαλωτος
    μου pronoun: gtv 1ps of_me of_memymine εγω
    10 οιτινες 2 reltv prnn: nom masc pl who (subj) who being
    9 11 εισιν vb: prs … indctv 3pp they   are prs: 1ps εγω ειμι; 2ps συ ει; 3ps αυτος.αυτη.αυτο εστιν; 1pp ημεις εσμεν; 2pp υμεις εστε; 3pp masc αυτοι fem αυται neut εισιν [infntv: ειναι]   ειμι
    12 επισημοι adj: nom masc pl   eminent (pl, + subject) splendid, prominent, outstanding, conspicuous, distinguishable/singular; marked, notable, remarkable, eminent notorious   επισημος
    13 εν 2 prpstn: dtv in, into, by (beside), at, among ⑨ in, into, by, at, among (of persons: as a member of a nominated group)   εν
    14 τοις def art: dtv, mascneut, pl the (+ ind obj)  to, with, by, et al.
    15 αποστολοις τοις noun: dtv masc pl   apostles (indir obj) commissioners.apostles
    16 οι 2 rel prnn: nom masc pl (they)   who who, they who, which same   οι
    17 και και cnjnctn and also, and, too broad and general connective use - e.g. connecting two nouns, may mean "of."
    21 προ prpstn: gtv fromtowithprior to  (movement) toward  (location) in the presence ofwith  (association) offrom  ΤΙΜΕ beforehand  προς
    22 εμου pers prnn: gtv of? me of_memymine
    18 γεγονασιν vb: pfct act indctv 3pp they   have been come to be, exist, occur produce, arise, start become, emerge be born acquire be present.situated    γινομαι 〆
    19 εν 2 prpstn: dtv in, into, by (beside), at, among ⑨ in, into, by, at, among (of persons: as a member of a nominated group)   εν
    20 χριστω τω.noun: dtv masc sgl ‡+   anointed [one] (ind obj) [title] Christ (Gk.), Messiah (Heb.), Anointed One (Eng.) the.an anointing; one having been daubed.anointed with paint, perfume, oil et al   χριστος

or if "by" is used, it means "alongside." Again, nothing can be inferred to give the impression that the apostles' opinions are being referred to.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

it doesn't make sense to say that leaders will "give account" for "watching over [the] souls" under their oversight (Heb. 13:17) if they don't have authority to match that kind of responsibility. It makes no sense to claim that, as householder-pastor, Nympha was legally "responsible" for gatherings in her home if she did not have authority to back up that responsibility.
      I have used that same argument, based in part on Paul's more than once stated claim that he did have authority to deal with unruly members, and requirement that congregation leaders do the same.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I've gently pushed back against that in a few interactions with her and those who comment on her blog and Facebook postings. I appreciate her point. Some groups are way too focused on authority and hierarchy. Back in the '80s, I attended a church where, in training sessions, those in "helps" ministries (ushers, greeters, deacons, etc.) were sometimes referred to as "armor-bearers," or likened to Aaron and Hur holding up Moses's arms, with the pastor being the king or Moses. We got training materials from Bob Yandian and Mark Barclay and Bob Lemon (under-shepherd to Dad Hagin's son-in-law Buddy Harrison).

They seem to interpret "servant leadership" and Matt. 25:21, 23 as meaning that one "serves" primarily for the purpose of climbing the ladder to become a "master."

I think many on the egalitarian (Marg prefers the more precise "non-hierchical complementarian") side believe local shepherds should emulate what the Good Shepherd said in Matt. 20:28.

I'm sympathetic to the latter view, but it doesn't make sense to say that leaders will "give account" for "watching over [the] souls" under their oversight (Heb. 13:17) if they don't have authority to match that kind of responsibility. It makes no sense to claim that, as householder-pastor, Nympha was legally "responsible" for gatherings in her home if she did not have authority to back up that responsibility. As a patron, Phoebe would have had *some* level of authority over those she assisted, in cases where her patronage was operative.

Interesting take. Your point regarding the authority and responsibility is particularly apropos.

I am not familiar with her, so when I read the article I understood her to mean more that there are people who misunderstand the purpose of Kingdom authority. (meaning many people view authority the way the world does, which is used to lord over people vs authority).

I am of the camp that tends to believe that:

1. That authority and responsibility go hand in hand
        2. Godly Authority does not entail lording over (in a worldly sense) to be served but rather an empowering and protecting understanding the weight of whom is under our care. (so this would include correction, rebukes, shepherding, etc)
        3. In order to execute authority, one must be under authority. (ultimately to God)

I believe these three tenets are starkly different from how most of the world views / executes 'authority'.

In any case, I enjoyed your post. Great points.

Comment