Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Reacting to the Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reacting to the Election

As I said over in Civics, I went about 0 wins and 5 losses on my votes in the election. Now that I'm over my post-election funk, I'm thinking about how to respond to the election.

I'm a conservative in a deep blue state and in a pretty blue county of the state. From what I can recall reading, I think only mossrose is in the same position as me. She has Trudeau and I have his sister Hochul. There have always been debates about how Christians should interact with the government. Usually, the discussions are somewhat abstract as none of the participants actually face hostility. For me, the debates are losing the abstractness and becoming more how should I now live. Certainly, I am in a state and supporting with my taxes, a government that I believe is taking society down the wrong road. Right now, NY is investigating crisis pregnancy centers. I'm wondering how long until they start investigating the supporters of crisis pregnancy centers. That certainly will lead right square into many churches plus parachurch ministries. Given how many churches in the state folded in the face of lockdown mandates, I'm not hopeful the churches will grow a spine.

Certainly, I could move somewhere but maybe God wants me to stay here to be a witness. The Bible isn't a real help here as I can think of passages that say "go" and others that say "stay." I've always struggled with finding God's specific will for my life.

Yes, I will continue to vote. However, it is looking like an exercise in futility if I expect things to change. Even getting involved in the Republican or Conservative parties will only match me up with like-minded people. Besides, I would rather work on building the kingdom of Heaven rather than an earthly institution. That leads me to think I have to focus on God.

Which brings me to what should I do? The gifts of the Spirit can be divided into two categories: those that bring people into the church and those that build the church up. My gifting seems to be towards the later. It still doesn't get me to the specifics.

Action plan, maybe? Spend less time posting in Civics. More time reading the Bible and in prayer. Developing patience, while I wait for God to open a door.

Does any of this make sense?
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

I just wanted to say I feel your pain here in Oregon. I had 0 wins as usual and we have another extreme leftist governor elected

Comment

Just remember even if your side doesn't win, your vote cancels out one vote from the left, meaning one person on the other side's vote doesn't count either.

Comment

I can't recall specifically who said it, but a Texan of some notoriety was welcoming displaced Californians to Texas - under the condition that they left their voting habits behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          I can't recall specifically who said it, but a Texan of some notoriety was welcoming displaced Californians to Texas - under the condition that they left their voting habits behind.
          A Texan meeting his new neighbors

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Celebrian View Post
            I just wanted to say I feel your pain here in Oregon. I had 0 wins as usual and we have another extreme leftist governor elected
            I saw that several of your counties are moving forward with joining Idaho.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Just remember even if your side doesn't win, your vote cancels out one vote from the left, meaning one person on the other side's vote doesn't count either.
              These days, I don't think margin of victory matters. In my case, I fully expect Hochul to roar on with her agenda even though it appears distinctly unpopular with a good portion of NY.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

I remember that. Right now, moving and especially a move of that distance doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                  Action plan, maybe? Spend less time posting in Civics. More time reading the Bible and in prayer. Developing patience, while I wait for God to open a door.

Does any of this make sense?

Comment

I remember that. Right now, moving and especially a move of that distance doesn't seem to be in the cards.
                    If New York is anything like California, be prepared to be harassed if/when you leave. Everyone I know that migrated out of California was hounded by the state's Franchise Tax Board after leaving, claiming they owed back taxes. They dinged my credit and made it difficult to get a driver's license in my new state, until I finally got hold of a sympathetic person in that agency that wiped it out. I didn't owe the state anything, but they were claiming I owed them some $1200 or so. Extortion against people who have difficultly fighting it from a distance, and where California has nothing to lose because the people have already left and won't be paying taxes there anymore. I hate California.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Yes, Eastern Oregon is very rural and red, but I don't know if they can actually join Idaho. My county is very blue, so like Thoughtful Monk, there isn't much I can do but pray and wait on the Lord.

Comment

These days, I don't think margin of victory matters. In my case, I fully expect Hochul to roar on with her agenda even though it appears distinctly unpopular with a good portion of NY.
                        No doubt the Dems in general across the nation are going to roar ahead with their agenda, and that agenda is going to continue to be economic destruction. The people got what they voted for apparently and they're going to regret it. As far as politics, I'm with you and I think I'm going to back away from it pretty much moving forward, or at least not engage in it as much I've been. I think it's basically over for US conservatives, and I doubt they'll win another major election, not as long as this universal ballot system and system of lawlessness is in place. It's time to move on to more pressing spiritual matters IMO.

Comment

Don't Californicate my Texas!
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

This is for real?
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My reaction....

same thing for many other situations....

Work like it depends on you (vote)
                              Pray like it depends on God (and leave the results to Him)

Maybe we, as a Nation, haven't been judged enough?

Comment