Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Sponsoring Muslims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsoring Muslims

I would like some thoughts on this topic.

A dear friend of mine has attended a church for several decades, and like so many other churches, this one has degraded itself into a seeker-sensitive wishy washy caricature of what a church should be.

My friend and her husband stopped going during the lockdowns, and have decided not to go back. She is still friends with a few people, and gets the emailed newsletter from the church. Which they will probably also be not getting anymore.

Through the newsletter and one friend, they have learned that the church is sponsoring a Muslim family of 5 from Afghanistan. This family will be brought here and housed and given free health care, etc. As all immigrants, legal and illegal get.

My friend asked a lady what the extent of the church's help would be for this family. Apparently they will be helping with food, housing, and will be driving them around to wherever they have to go.

My friend asked if the church would be witnessing to this family and telling them about Christ. No. They are not allowed to speak about Christ to them.

My friend asked if they would be driving this family to mosque. Yes. They will be taking them wherever they need to go.

My friend and I have serious problems with this.

Why is the church not sponsoring a Christian family, as we are pretty sure there are many who are being oppressed in Afghanistan?

Why is the church agreeing to take people to their places of worship but are not allowed to witness to them?

I am interested in what others have to say about this.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

I appreciate wanting to help them out, but for a church to take this on and then tell people that they are not allowed to Jesus or the Bible is odd. The only reason I could see for is it (and that clearly does not seem to be the case) would be if they were themselves doing something and didn't want anyone interfering/upsetting things

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

In my role as a Chaplain, it is my job to "provide assistance" in a crisis. My primary mission in that role is to give comfort, NOT to evangelize. However, it is absolutely no secret that, in the process of providing comfort, I am watching for any opportunity to share Christ.

If I were restricted from any evangelistic engagement, I would not agree to be a chaplain. I feel the same way here. They're providing comfort to a lost family, but it should be known that our purpose in engaging those in need is ultimately eternal.

Our faith based mission provided comfort to a Muslim family, but it was through all of that love and care that the door to evangelism was opened, because, in their words, "our religion is all about fear, and your religion is all about love". They are now a Christian family.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Our faith based mission provided comfort to a Muslim family, but it was through all of that love and care that the door to evangelism was opened, because, in their words, "our religion is all about fear, and your religion is all about love". They are now a Christian family.
        And I guess that's the hope in all this.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

If they are "not allowed" to speak about Jesus, that "church" is an apostate lost cause.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            If they are "not allowed" to speak about Jesus, that "church" is an apostate lost cause.
            They are, as I said, so far away from teaching the word of God already that apostasy isn't far away.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

They are, as I said, so far away from teaching the word of God already that apostasy isn't far away.
              So, like too many "churches", they are more a social club?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Driving people to the mosque on a church's behalf is what strikes me as especially problematic.

The early church in Acts 19 took radical conversion so seriously that they burned scrolls used in sorcery. I'm not saying the church needs to have a Quran bonfire (that probably wouldn't be prudent), but to actively transport people to a worship service in another tradition in the name of Christianity is the polar opposite of anything you would see in Acts.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Not only that, but they have adopted the seeker-sensitive style of worship. Entertainment to get the people in the door. My friend told me that last Christmas the message on Christmas Eve was "Did the angels sing in scripture, or did they only speak".

She said there was not one word about the birth of our Saviour.

That's when they decided not to go back.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    Driving people to the mosque on a church's behalf is what strikes me as especially problematic.

The early church in Acts 19 took radical conversion so seriously that they burned scrolls used in sorcery. I'm not saying the church needs to have a Quran bonfire (that probably wouldn't be prudent), but to actively transport people to a worship service in another tradition in the name of Christianity is the polar opposite of anything you would see in Acts.
                    Indeed, that and the inability to speak of Christ are very problematic for me.

Comment

Took the words right outta my mouth.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Not only that, but they have adopted the seeker-sensitive style of worship. Entertainment to get the people in the door. My friend told me that last Christmas the message on Christmas Eve was "Did the angels sing in scripture, or did they only speak".

I heard that claim -- that the angels did/do not sing, that only humans sing -- at a Christmas service back in the '80s, but it was not "the" message.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

That would do it.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I heard that claim -- that the angels did/do not sing, that only humans sing -- at a Christmas service back in the '80s, but it was not "the" message.
                            I have posed that as a discussion topic from time to time, but only as an aside.

Comment

Why isn't that mosque sponsoring them then?

Jesus talked about helping others IN HIS NAME. Which means telling them the good news about Jesus as well as helping their physical needs.

Comment