Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Cycle of Life, Spinning wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycle of Life, Spinning wheel

It seems we are either laughing, crying, angry or calm with moments of sleep in between.

Ever talk to your guardian angel or any spirit you think was assigned to watch you and apologize for your boring life while they follow you around? I did that once. I asked 'How can you stand it?'.

Ever bury your emotions for years (without realizing it) because there is work to do at home and outside and you are on auto-run. Childcare etc... excitement and fun are non essentials for a healthy spirit and I don't do it anyway, placing happiness in a spouse is a mistake, only God can grant you joy if you are obedient to Him. Disappointment is a huge part of life.

Dying to self. This means even when you know someone is wrong for the umpteenth time you just don't bother to address it anymore, you tuck it away inside and even though we are told holding in emotions is bad, it makes your spirit stronger as you practice patience....or it festers horrible resentment, or both, actually. Apathy builds. Divorce.

Intellectuals will tell you the problem of evil has its answers already, have you not read the book? A Christian can have this 'problem' resurface time and again, when they are praying for themselves or family members comfy at home, they see on their tv's children being sold as slaves and a little girl telling her story with tears in her eyes, than you can't finish breakfast and you stop praying. What the hell am I doing? Look at this child and look at me, who can pray for themselves after this? All I pray for these days is for God to protect my children, such is the scariness of this world, there is no room for other life enhancing prayers other than this world is horrid please spare the ones we care for and anything else is a bonus.

so our emotions can block the minds old response to this problem of evil on a daily basis, and it stops you from praying or feeling growth spiritually.

The good fortune is there is not much emotion anymore, just tiredness of being in the same place, wondering if this is a circle or if there is a new path spiritually.

I think it's arrogant for those people to claim that we have all the explanations for why there is evil. We just don't know. All we have is the solution, which is Jesus.

"I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by princesa View Post
      It seems we are either laughing, crying, angry or calm with moments of sleep in between.
      Life is quite pointless; I agree.

Ever talk to your guardian angel or any spirit you think was assigned to watch you and apologize for your boring life while they follow you around? I did that once. I asked 'How can you stand it?'.
      Honestly, no; I only pray to God. Usually I pray to the Father or Jesus. Scripturally the precedence is to pray to the Father in the name of Jesus. I believe I have only prayed specifically to the Holy Spirit a few times, but he is every bit as much as God as the Father and the Son (to put it somewhat crudely). I do not believe it is God's desire that we cast our concerns on angels but on him alone (cf. 1 Peter 5:6).

Life can be quite monotonous. The longer one lives the more he or she should come to appreciate this. Sometimes life can feel excruciatingly futile. We have to repeat the same things all the time in order to maintain a neat and orderly existence. We fall asleep, arise, make our beds, brush and floss our teeth, shower, put on clean clothes, work, return home, wash clothes, go shopping, pay bills and taxes, talk to people we wish we had nothing to do with (sometimes family members), &c.

Ever bury your emotions for years (without realizing it) because there is work to do at home and outside and you are on auto-run.
      This may be the first step to awareness. This is a good insight. Many people are on autopilot day in, day out. Surely you already know this. This pattern may continue unabated for several years in some persons' lives, if not decades. Sometimes it takes a cataclysmic event in order to shake people out of their dullness. It can be so easy to sleepwalk through one's life. There is no present moment, only moments past and the worrisome future (which, incidentally, is an entirely imaginary construct). I believe it is a positive thing to awaken from autopilot, but it's not necessarily a pleasant experience.

Childcare etc... excitement and fun are non essentials for a healthy spirit and I don't do it anyway, placing happiness in a spouse is a mistake, only God can grant you joy if you are obedient to Him. Disappointment is a huge part of life.
      It's true. Unfortunately, absolutely everyone is a letdown. Christians sometimes even seem to find solace in this notion so it puts them in the clear for being like everyone else (which is quite unfortunate, actually). I would agree, however, that we should seek to find our completeness in our union with God through Christ. God does expect us to be faithful, but he oftentimes blesses us tremendously even when we are quite faithless. We like to carry him in our back-pocket and pay lip service to him at formal church gatherings but it's all one big sham. God knows how utterly fake we can be. The only ones who don't seem to recognize the charade is us when we're in it. It's too bad what a letdown everyone is though. We could collectively make our lives and the lives of others so much better if we weren't all such selfish jerks. Alas! Everyone is waiting around for others to change so no one ends up changing. I may change, you may change. It seems the best thing we can do in the meantime while everyone is waiting about for everyone else to change. Meanwhile no one changes. It seems quite silly when you think about it.

Dying to self. This means even when you know someone is wrong for the umpteenth time you just don't bother to address it anymore, you tuck it away inside and even though we are told holding in emotions is bad, it makes your spirit stronger as you practice patience....or it festers horrible resentment, or both, actually. Apathy builds. Divorce.
      Regarding the expression "dying to self", honestly I must say I am not all that fond of it. Jesus does refer to denying oneself, taking up one's cross and following him, but this call to serious self-sacrifice is for the purpose of ultimately gaining life. Believers may not be used to thinking of it in these terms, but Jesus is appealing to our rational self-interest as creatures made in his image. Allow me to cite a couple of passages to this effect:
      Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wants to come [after] Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will find it. What will it benefit a man if he gains the whole world yet loses his life? Or what will a man give in exchange for his life?" (Matthew 16:24-261)

"The one who loves his life will lose it, and the one who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life." (John 12:25)

Jesus calls us to extreme self-sacrifice so we might make ourselves fit for his everlasting kingdom in the age to come. There is nothing here of genuine self-hatred or a masochistic desire to imperil oneself. The concern is that we avail ourselves of the grace of God and so are welcomed into the kingdom at the return of the King (cf. Matthew 25:34). The present age is transitory, but the coming age has no end.

Another possible misconception I would like to briefly address is this: Love is patient and kind, yes, but there is nothing positive to be said for constant repression of "negative emotions". Are we to forgive? Yes. Can forgiveness be excruciatingly difficult? Yes. But the absorption of incessant mental and emotional abuse is not incumbent upon us. We are not made of steel. It is not good, wise, healthy or loving to be told we are to just take whatever nonsense comes our way and deal with it in sanctified silence. Sometimes the godliest thing we can do is walk away. Should we continue to enable abusers? I think not.

Intellectuals will tell you the problem of evil has its answers already, have you not read the book?
      I would submit to you the one thing I do know for certain concerning evil: it does not have its origin in God. There is indeed a mystery of iniquity. You and I are caught in the middle of this raging battle. All things are not yet under Christ's feet. A battle between good and evil is being waged inside our hearts. Everyone is unwittingly caught in this battle. We have no choice to opt out, only to choose which side we are to take, day by day, hour by hour, moment by moment.

God is not a god of shadows; in him is no darkness. He is not pulling the strings on everything. Let no one tell you otherwise. God is working to redeem his wayward creation. His work may be subtle and seem to lie so far underneath the surface we may wonder if he is really there. Perhaps he is not. Perhaps he is indifferent. Perhaps he is dead. No, God is alive and we may rest assured that he is seeking to bring good out of evil. We must remember, however, that the evil is not his doing.

We may think we have gauged God, but in fact he works in unexpected ways: the incarnation, the cross, the resurrection. Who would have ever guessed in a thousand eons?

We experience disappointment in God. Life does not go as expected or as preferred. So many Christians are atheists in their basic mindset, and consequently, in practice. We need to change.

A Christian can have this 'problem' resurface time and again, when they are praying for themselves or family members comfy at home, they see on their tv's children being sold as slaves and a little girl telling her story with tears in her eyes, than you can't finish breakfast and you stop praying. What the hell am I doing? Look at this child and look at me, who can pray for themselves after this? All I pray for these days is for God to protect my children, such is the scariness of this world, there is no room for other life enhancing prayers other than this world is horrid please spare the ones we care for and anything else is a bonus.
      No doubt, this world is indeed a very frightening place. The kingdoms of this world belong to Satan (Matt. 4:8,9; Luke 4:5-7). The whole world lies under the power and control of the Devil (1 John 5:19). He goes about deceiving the whole world (Rev. 12:9). Christianity as a whole has neglected the pivotal role Satan plays in its worldview. We have conveniently forgotten him. Now we are primarily concerned with our own personal little journey with Jesus and God in our back-pocket as a good luck charm to bring greater comfort into our lives. If we were to take Scripture seriously, however, and apply its truths to our lives, we would have to come face to face with the truth that we have an Enemy who is more intelligent, powerful and wicked than we can possibly imagine. He is second only to God in this respect (with the possible exception of Michael the archangel). The Devil is no laughing matter, but a personal being who actively seeks to destroy the people of God (cf. 1 Peter 5:8,9).

You may not believe it, but I have preached more to myself than to you in this message.

Note

1 Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holman Christian Standard Bible.
      Last edited by The Remonstrant; 03-19-2014, 04:37 PM.
      For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

By the way, princesa, I should say that your opening post is the only message I have encountered on T-Web that I have personally found genuinely engaging in a very long time. So much of the content here is so utterly tepid and lacking in reality it nearly brings me to the point of vomiting.
        For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
          By the way, princesa, I should say that your opening post is the only message I have encountered on T-Web that I have personally found genuinely engaging in a very long time. So much of the content here is so utterly tepid and lacking in reality it nearly brings me to the point of vomiting.
          Agreed.

I must take some time to pray and meditate on the OP before I try to respond to it.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I think it's arrogant for those people to claim that we have all the explanations for why there is evil. We just don't know. All we have is the solution, which is Jesus.

Personally, I've almost stopped asking why something is the way it is. Now I try to figure out how to respond.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
              Hello. Nice name by the way. Just curious, why do you find the content here "tepid and lacking in reality?" I'm actually just curious since I am fairly new to posting here. And if this is true, what can people do to make more engaging conversation? Thanks.

Comment

Thank you KG, TM and thank you Rem. Rem, I read your response days ago and had so many responses for you, the truth is...i'm tired right now but didn't want to go another day without telling you how much I appreciate everything you wrote. I always read your posts especially, many times over. and I've read your post here many times. Please know each time I appreciate you even more, my brother in Christ, thank you. And i'm so glad you answered as I was hoping you would reply actually.

Ofcourse, as we all know, some days are better than others, some are brutal and others are kind. I've had a kind past 2 days but I know that can shift. Wisdom is my hope right now as I am working on myself, my grace and patience is paramount to all forms of peace. Selflessness is an exercise that is painful. I chastise myself as I remember that God loves a quiet spirit.

thank you again, very much.
                Last edited by princesa; 03-21-2014, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Thank you KG, TM and thank you Rem. Rem, I read your response days ago and had so many responses for you, the truth is...i'm tired right now but didn't want to go another day without telling you how much I appreciate everything you wrote. I always read your posts especially, many times over. and I've read your post here many times. Please know each time I appreciate you even more, my brother in Christ, thank you. And i'm so glad you answered as I was hoping you would reply actually.

Ofcourse, as we all know, some days are better than others, some are brutal and others are kind. I've had a kind past 2 days but I know that can shift. Wisdom is my hope right now as I am working on myself, my grace and patience is paramount to all forms of peace. Selflessness is an exercise that is painful. I chastise myself as I remember that God loves a quiet spirit.

thank you again, very much.
                  Many humble thanks to you as well, princesa, and of course you are welcome too.

I tend to find persons who have not suffered in any great, sustained depth do not seem to know what I am talking about when I address issues like the futility of life and the like. Pain can deepen us. It is never pleasant, of course, because pain is pain and not pleasant. Of course. (If that makes any sense.)
                  Last edited by The Remonstrant; 03-22-2014, 09:28 AM.

Comment

As I read through and meditated on your post, I realized you are fighting with a most hideous adversary: apathy. Someone once said the opposite of love is not hatred but apathy.

There is much to not like about this world. As you perceive the differences between what God intended for humanity and what the world has become it can grieve your spirit. No wonder then that your child tells you about slavery that it breaks your heart. I don’t think that God wants you to bottle that inside you. Pray to Him about how you don’t like how the world is. The Psalms have many psalms like this. Awhile back when I was struggling with a similar issue, I found Psalm 55 a help.

I hope you have not encountered someone who teaches “do not complain to God.” I believe God is big enough to handle complaints. Again, reading Psalms can help. Many have a “the world is like this and I don’t like it” theme. Be honest with God and allow Him to work it through with you both emotionally and intellectually.

I suggest that you have a wrong view of dying to self. The idea is more dying to your desires to more closely follow Jesus. Not confronting evil is not part of that. Jesus desires that evil and wrong are confronted. Admittedly, the issue is how to do it lovingly and you may be right – not saying anything maybe the best choice. I suggest dying to self should not necessarily leave emptiness inside you.

I understand about how you think life is boring. I think part of the issue is the world tries sell you that life is exciting. I’m not sure it’s Scriptural. I think the world is trying to make you so busy that you don’t think about purpose or meaning or eternal matters. So please ask yourself is this God telling you your life is boring or the world trying to cast you down.

The one book I’ve read that works on this issue is The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. When you feel like reading, give it a try.
                    I pray that this is helpful to you. May God be with you and yours always.

(Posted with princesa's prior permission.)

Comment