Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Fur-damentalists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Apparently there are at least a few fundamentalists who maintain that every story Jesus told is literal history (the position is fairly common at least in the case of the Rich Man and Lazarus, with the argument that the usage of a real name makes it real). I wonder what such people make of Judges 9:8-15.
    It is interesting that is the only parable where Jesus gave a participant a name. I have wondered if it is somehow related to the Lazarus who Jesus raised from the dead.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

It is interesting that is the only parable where Jesus gave a participant a name. I have wondered if it is somehow related to the Lazarus who Jesus raised from the dead.
      Yes, and since my wording wasn't clear, I don't think that believing that this particular parable was a real event (for the reason you stated, as well as Abraham being a character) is unreasonable or a "fundamentalist" position. I don't personally think it was one as it doesn't seem all that compatible with other biblical data of the afterlife and there does seem to be some evidence it may have been a folk tale of the day, but it's perfectly plausible to think it was.

My strong disagreement is more with the idea that everything recorded in the Bible, regardless of genre, has to be taken as straightforward history.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Apparently there are at least a few fundamentalists who maintain that every story Jesus told is literal history (the position is fairly common at least in the case of the Rich Man and Lazarus, with the argument that the usage of a real name makes it real). I wonder what such people make of Judges 9:8-15.
        Jesus wasn't born in Judges. He didn't tell that story.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Jesus wasn't born in Judges. He didn't tell that story.
          Sorry, what I meant to say is that what I've heard was that everything recorded in the Bible literally happened, including the parables. But I didn't type it right.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I tend to think the Rich Man and Lazarus could be real history, but I think it is untenable to say all of the parables of Jesus were historical.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I think it's a pretty bad line of reasoning to claim acting is equivalent to lying. It's like saying fiction/parables are wrong because none of it happened in reality. It's really just the same arguments that got recycled against film, TV, and video games. Every time a new medium for art is widely adopted it becomes a social boogeyman. Plays and actors apparently weren't exempt. Sure, some actors become degenerate, but so do people in other professions, especially if they become celebrities.

I'm not exactly a fan of Augustine, outside of a few insights here and there I find many of his arguments to be poorly thought out. The whole thing about "false emotions" is a really weak argument too. How can you claim someone else's emotions are "false"? Are emotions a result of acting? Could it not be that acting is allowing people to express their true emotions more accurately for others? Those are rhetorical, but I'm going to give my answers.

You can't claim someone else's emotions are "false" unless you have evidence they are lying. If you don't have that then saying the emotions aren't there or are "false" is at best ignorance, and is very close to, if not gaslighting.

A good actor can cause emotions, yes. And yes, an actor can portray false emotions. This does not mean an actor can cause false emotions in others. Causing emotions in others is true of any medium of art. A good painter can get you to feel emotions looking at their art, a good poet can get you to feel emotions reading their poems, and a good writer will get you to feel real emotions and attachments to the characters, even if they and their situation is not real. Stories like that have allowed me to learn about other people and myself. Without storytelling and acting none of that would have been possible for me to reach the level of understanding I have now.

Yes, learning to act can help you express your real emotions. I'm autistic, and in my case I have a hard time showing my emotions and have a rather flat affect. In order for people to understand my emotions I have to "act" in a way that other people understand to be in line with said emotions. My default state is perceived as something different to what I feel internally. I've been told I look sad/mad/upset etc. when I'm not even feeling anything at all. I don't have any training in acting, but it's not needed for it to count as "acting".

As a counter to the positives of acting that I mention acting can also be harmful, and I know that all too well. I've been hiding a lot of my autistic traits, and a lot of my emotions partly as a defense, and partly out of a fear of rejection. In fact I've been masking so long that I have a hard differentiating what is due to masking, and what isn't. So, acting can hide real emotions, or show ones that aren't really there. I'm working on not doing that any more. Not only can it be considered dishonest*, but it's exhausting physically, emotionally, and mentally. The real problem here is in how acting is used, but not that it exists.

Sports is just one more medium of entertainment, and while I don't like sports I'm not going to hold it against a person who does like them. Well, as long as they aren't being hypocritical and will realize that disliking sports is valid. The more reasonable fans are going to have fun going to a game whether their team wins or loses, face paint or no face paint, in the stadium or watching on TV. Sure, if your team loses it's understandable to be a bit disappointed. I don't think it should go much beyond that so long as there was no foul play involved. If foul play is involved I think anger is a pretty natural response. Even that should be kept to a minimum.

*Even in though the case I mention is autistic masking, everyone does this to some degree. You can't be 100% honest with every little detail at all times. Figuring out which details are harmful to omit/hide and which are harmful to tell isn't easy, but is necessary to be able to have any kind of lasting relationship. The issue is not as black and white as I once believed.
              I think in this case, he had detected that he had been poorly spiritually impacted from his past theater attendance pre-conversion, and did correctly note that there were some problems there, but maybe went too far to extrapolate that it was wrong for everyone. You might see that today from a new convert who had been watching trashy movies and tehn went out and declared that all movies were wrong for everyone. (I've been looking for our copy of the Confessions and can't find it, but I will admit that I'm not a big fan of Augustine either.)

I agree with your analysis that at its best, drama can help us more fully appreciate the human experience, just like good literature can, and the existence of inappropriate books doesn't erase that. Your example of your personal life is a good one, but even beyond that, it's easy to see how we can get benefits from watching plays and learning (Shakespeare's Julius Caesar has excellent insights on how power corrupts and how good intentions do not justify bad actions), but there's also a sense of teamwork from the act of making a play. (The same could be said for a possible benefit of participating in team sports.)

Comment

I think in this case, he had detected that he had been poorly spiritually impacted from his past theater attendance pre-conversion, and did correctly note that there were some problems there, but maybe went too far to extrapolate that it was wrong for everyone. You might see that today from a new convert who had been watching trashy movies and tehn went out and declared that all movies were wrong for everyone. (I've been looking for our copy of the Confessions and can't find it, but I will admit that I'm not a big fan of Augustine either.)
                That sounds rather plausible. Augustine also seems like the kind to do that kind of thing based on what I've read of his works. I think more people need to learn "I don't like X" or "X was bad for me" doesn't mean it should be banned. There was a person over in the UK who campaigned against the "video nasties", which with her definition ruled out nearly all movies. She admitted that she didn't even watch any of the movies or shows she complained about. She wanted to stop shows like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Dr. Who. Both of which are pretty benign.

I agree with your analysis that at its best, drama can help us more fully appreciate the human experience, just like good literature can, and the existence of inappropriate books doesn't erase that. Your example of your personal life is a good one, but even beyond that, it's easy to see how we can get benefits from watching plays and learning (Shakespeare's Julius Caesar has excellent insights on how power corrupts and how good intentions do not justify bad actions), but there's also a sense of teamwork from the act of making a play. (The same could be said for a possible benefit of participating in team sports.)

I gave the personal examples because it is more concrete than something as basic as "people can learn from X" which is true of literally everything. Even if it is just what not to do. I think these benefits can be gained from every artistic medium to some degree. Some are better than others for certain things. Books and literature often work better for learning on your own, plays, sports, and video games can help you learn to work as a team. All of them have valuable lessons that can be taught, even if not all of the individual works are good. Paintings, sculptures, and other similar works have their own merits too.

Comment