Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Choosing life in the face of pandemic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing life in the face of pandemic.

This article about Faith and the pandemic expresses a lot of how I feel about Christianity as I have experienced it and the pandemic. There is a lot that was mishandled, but the way Christians I have seen express their feelings about some of the basic restrictions was well expressed.
    https://www.americamagazine.org/fait...eighbor-241359
    I am become death...

Having read the article a couple times, I'm not sure what to make of it. It starts out by discussing the government restrictions on religious gatherings, suggests that those who defied the restrictions were motivated by greed, and then at the end suddenly pulls in pro-lifers expecting sacrifices from pregnant women. I'm not sure where to start in response.

I guess I'll start with a bunch of bullet points and see what happens.
    • I certainly agree that there was a lack of charity between those who followed the government restrictions and those who defied them. I certainly can see both arguments making sense so there should have been more allowance for people following as God led.
    • I had my usual reaction: does the author have a point where she would disobey the government? Not within the scope of what she was trying to say but I feel more connected to someone who says, "In this we can obey the government but here's the line when we shouldn't."
    • Admittedly this is looking back now, but on-line church is not as beneficial as in-person church. Given the article was from Sept. 2021, that was the view. Now from little I'm seeing on comparisons between in-person and on-line, on-line is not looking as positive as advertised.
    • As has been discussed over in Civics, what the government has said about Covid changed over time. Charitably, you can say they were learning. Unfortunately, I do see enough evidence that my welfare wasn't their primary concern through all these lockdowns.
    • Yes, Christians didn't love their neighbor as they should have through the pandemic.
    • I'm not comfortable with ascribing money has the cause for Christians to defy the lockdown mandates. I'm sure that's true in cases but I have trouble believing that's all cases.
    • There is a difference between the unborn who are totally dependent and people who are able to take care of themselves. Not sure I like the precedence that's being set that the government can control me by saying it's for my health. What happens if the government starts saying, "Your health expenses are too much. It's time for you to die."
    • There is a big difference between a group of people saying, "you should do this" and the government with all the power it can bring to bear saying, "you shall do this."
    • Since everything can be done better, I do agree that Christians can and should do more to support women who chose to keep their baby through comes as the baby grows up
    • Yes, Covid was a life-event. Everyone now says before Covid and after Covid. I think it's naive, and not very charitable, of the author to be so dismissive of the people who didn't do as she thinks they should have. Sounds rather controlling.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Ok, my turn. Unlike TM, I'm kind of an uncharitable jerk, so my tone will reflect that.

-- I'm not a Catholic, so anything in the article about the idea of failing to meet in person being a "sin" that would need to be forgiven is silly to me.

-- I don't know of anyone who insisted on attendance as "a true witness of our devotion to God."

-- Even back in Sept. 2021, in fact even before that, the issue was not that leaders "should only care for our souls" as opposed to physical health. It was always well known that Covid was not equally dangerous to all persons.

-- "I was told I was fearful because I obeyed the bishop and followed lockdown directives, and that if I were a true believer I would be doing all I could to get to the Holy Mass." Well, then you were surrounded by idiots, and if you believe that was representative of all believers who opposed lockdowns, you're ignorant.

-- "Love your neighbor as yourself, Christ commanded." If you think locking down was the only, or even best, way to show "love," again, you're an idiot. "Love" can also be shown by standing up and opposing creeping fascism, such as by meeting together if relatively young and healthy, and staying home if you're old or infirm.

-- The bit about women in crisis pregnancy centers is straight-up retarded. A successful abortion results in a dead human 100% of the time. Catching Covid at that point in the pandemic resulted in death maybe 2% of the time.

-- The bit about "common good" is weak if not retarded. The lockdowns spread more "common harm" than "common good."

-- She has an asinine martyr complex that sees anyone opposing lockdowns and fascism as self-centered, when most were and are concerned about that harm they do to *everyone.*

Typical NY libiot.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

You really need to not be so rude. This isn't Civics and AD deserves better interaction than that.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          Ok, my turn. Unlike TM, I'm kind of an uncharitable jerk, so my tone will reflect that.

-- I'm not a Catholic, so anything in the article about the idea of failing to meet in person being a "sin" that would need to be forgiven is silly to me.

-- I don't know of anyone who insisted on attendance as "a true witness of our devotion to God."

Typical NY libiot.
          As I recall in the Protestant world, John MacArthur preached along the lines of attendance was a witness of our devotion to God. I could believe he would agree with your first point.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment