Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The STRANGEST Spiritual Gifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    On the other hand, I knew a man who was well taught but said he wasn't a fruit inspector. It may have been his way of dealing with at the time our current pastor who changed his positions as the fads in the Christian church changed. I get you can't be nitpicky on every little detail, especially in the nonessentials, but I can't see the pastor being a position that is exempt from correction.
    This is good stuff, so lemme come back to this.... I OFTEN point out to my church that Matt 18:15ff ALSO applies to the Pastor - he is not exempt from it. But it ALSO should be applied in the same manner as the rest of that "Church Discipline" section --- to win somebody back, not to drive them off.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I suspect from the father of all lies. He actually had a notebook, and took notes on the sermon, and would offer damning condemnation like "you said 1 John for that one reference, but it was actually 2 John....."

(I will often say something like, "and the verse about [such and so] - I think it's Romans 4...." --- clearly not intended as a "thus sayeth the LORD".)
      Yuh.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Oh, and bacon.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I miss Jed.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I has the spearchul gift of attracting trolls. And forgetfulness. That last one comes in handy a lot.

Comment

I need to put on my glasses. I read your post as it is below.

Absolutely agreed -- I just don't see that - as he claimed - to be a Spiritual Gift. Discernment? Yes. Teaching, Extortion.... yes.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This is good stuff, so lemme come back to this.... I OFTEN point out to my church that Matt 18:15ff ALSO applies to the Pastor - he is not exempt from it. But it ALSO should be applied in the same manner as the rest of that "Church Discipline" section --- to win somebody back, not to drive them off.
                So easy to say and yet hard to do right. Probably no wonder many churches neglect discipline.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I need to put on my glasses. I read your post as it is below.
                  Now, if that had been said by the Pirate...

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

So easy to say and yet hard to do right. Probably no wonder many churches neglect discipline.
                    This is why, every church I have been in, I manage to preach that passage at least once a year, and refer to it multiple times - ALWAYS laying down the groundwork about it being for the purpose of salvaging a relationship, not severing one.

Comment