Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The STRANGEST Spiritual Gifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The STRANGEST Spiritual Gifts

No, not talking about Tongues.

I'm talking about "spiritual gifts" that some people think they possess, which raise an eyebrow.

My favorite comes from a guy who was new to our Church, and on the FIRST SUNDAY, he came up to introduce himself.

After the customary exchange of pleasantries, he kinda reared back a little, and announced, very clearly....

"My spiritual gift is - Pastor CorRECtor" (he said it just like that .... coor REC tor - heavy emphasis on the middle sylable)

He explained that it was his job to take notes during my sermon, and let me know where I erred.

I think his name was Dave something... last name... starts with an L.

(ok, KIDDING about that last part, but not the rest)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

On the other hand, I knew a man who was well taught but said he wasn't a fruit inspector. It may have been his way of dealing with at the time our current pastor who changed his positions as the fads in the Christian church changed. I get you can't be nitpicky on every little detail, especially in the nonessentials, but I can't see the pastor being a position that is exempt from correction.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      I can't see the pastor being a position that is exempt from correction.
      In truth yes - but the one appointing himself as "pastor corrector" is certainly not qualified for the role
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

In truth yes - but the one appointing himself as "pastor corrector" is certainly not qualified for the role
        Agreed.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Haven’t seen pastor corrector listed in the spiritual gifts I. Scripture. Perhaps you could ask him to show you where in the Bible it is?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Haven’t seen pastor corrector listed in the spiritual gifts I. Scripture. Perhaps you could ask him to show you where in the Bible it is?
            I figured that it would be impolite for me to mention the point - but more anciently established people are of course not subject so such considerations.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

On the other hand, I knew a man who was well taught but said he wasn't a fruit inspector. It may have been his way of dealing with at the time our current pastor who changed his positions as the fads in the Christian church changed. I get you can't be nitpicky on every little detail, especially in the nonessentials, but I can't see the pastor being a position that is exempt from correction.
              I worked for a pastor as secretary and he told me one day that he wasn’t accountable to anyone, after the board of elders took him to task for some undesirable things a pastor should not be doing. I asked him if he was accountable to, firstly God, and secondly, to the congregation that paid his salary.

He became angry and made my job so miserable that I quit and we left the church. That was 29 years ago.

All pastors are accountable, as are everyone in authority everywhere.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I worked for a pastor as secretary and he told me one day that he wasn’t accountable to anyone, after the board of elders took him to task for some undesirable things a pastor should not be doing. I asked him if he was accountable to, firstly God, and secondly, to the congregation that paid his salary.

He became angry and made my job so miserable that I quit and we left the church. That was 29 years ago.

All pastors are accountable, as are everyone in authority everywhere.
                When a pastor says he's not accountable to anyone or only accountable to God, it's probably a good time to leave that church. If for no other reason, you're under an authoritarian leader who is probably only interested in his needs and concerns and not yours.

Comment

Here's a list of some of what the author calls "spiritual gifts – those unusual abilities that are so beyond-the-natural they had to come from the Holy Spirit – that aren’t mentioned in the Bible":

Ten MORE Spiritual Gifts You Won’t Find in the Bible (it links to his first ten)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Pretty sure that's a red flag. Someone thinking they aren't accountable to anyone.... may be a cult leader or other variety of wolf in sheep's clothing. At best, an arrogant fool.
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

When a pastor says he's not accountable to anyone or only accountable to God, it's probably a good time to leave that church. If for no other reason, you're under an authoritarian leader who is probably only interested in his needs and concerns and not yours.
                      That's why we decided to leave, as well as the fact he was doing some things with the churches money that he shouldn't have been doing. About 30 people left at the same time.

Comment

Absolutely agreed -- I just don't see that - as he claimed - to be a Spiritual Gift. Discernment? Yes. Teaching, Exhortation.... yes.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He's no longer on the planet. In fact, he didn't last long at all at that Church, as one of "the sweet old ladies" lit into him about his arrogance and lack of tact.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

He's no longer on the planet. In fact, he didn't last long at all at that Church, as one of "the sweet old ladies" lit into him about his arrogance and lack of tact.
                            Ok, then.

It would have been interesting to know where he got the idea that "pastor corrector" is a spiritual gift.

Comment

Ok, then.

It would have been interesting to know where he got the idea that "pastor corrector" is a spiritual gift.
                              I suspect from the father of all lies. He actually had a notebook, and took notes on the sermon, and would offer damning condemnation like "you said 1 John for that one reference, but it was actually 2 John....."

(I will often say something like, "and the verse about [such and so] - I think it's Romans 4...." --- clearly not intended as a "thus sayeth the LORD".)

Comment