Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Canada goes further down the toilet with Bill C-4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada goes further down the toilet with Bill C-4

Bill C-4 was sold to politicians as a standard conversion therapy ban and is now the law of the land in Canada, but the definitions and language in the law are at best vague and poorly written, and at worse censorious and unconstitutional. Most people would agree that abusive, coercive, or forced conversion therapy should be banned, which is why it has been for some time in Canada already. In order to break down the intention behind this new law, we need to look at what it adds to existing conversion therapy bans in Canada.

When I explained some of the potential legal outcomes of Bill C-4 to several lawyers, they were understandably incredulous.

Under the new law, a parent could tell their 11-year-old daughter that she has to wait until she is 12 to wear make-up, but if that same parent told their 11-year-old son the same thing they could be determined to have “reduced non-heteronormative” behavior and potentially be subject to jail time. Yes… jail time.

If a spouse approached a pastor confessing to be engaged in a same-sex affair and the pastor counselled them to stop, per the either inept or malicious wording of this law, that pastor would be committing a crime.

Even if you dared refer an inquisitive friend who was experiencing same-sex attraction to a rabbi or imam who espoused traditional sexuality, that too is now illegal. Until these lawyers looked at the law for themselves at length, they could not believe that this was the law of the land in Canada.

While I certainly hope that these troubling and yet plausible hypotheticals will never result in someone being charged, the question remains: why bring in this new law, when conversion therapy bans are already in place, if you don’t plan on enforcing the new censorious elements of the bill?

Is this a malicious and ideologically driven attack on traditional sexuality, mere virtue signaling or just bad law?

I was joined by Director of Law and Policy from the Association for Reformed Political Action (ARPA) André Schutten to discuss Bill C-4 in light of the constitutional problems it poses for LGBTQ individuals and many faith communities across Canada.

We also discussed the lack of adequate response and opposition from the politicians who allowed this bill to be passed into law unquestioned.

https://www.rebelnews.com/legal_brea...hutten_of_arpa

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Is there any sense at all that Grass roots Canadians oppose this?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Is there any sense at all that Grass roots Canadians oppose this?
      I believe so. Rebel News is collecting signatures for a petition to ban the bill, but it is already law, so it's hard to change it now.

Our own local MP was against it the way it was originally written, and it doesn't look like he, or other Conservative MP's were able to do much to change the wording. When you get the NDP (far left) voting with the Liberals, and the Bloc (Quebec) throwing their support behind it, there isn't much chance of the bill not having passed.

It's a chilling attack on churches and pastors offering counselling to people with genuine desires to seek advice about such things. Not to mention parents with their own children!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I believe so. Rebel News is collecting signatures for a petition to ban the bill, but it is already law, so it's hard to change it now.

Our own local MP was against it the way it was originally written, and it doesn't look like he, or other Conservative MP's were able to do much to change the wording. When you get the NDP (far left) voting with the Liberals, and the Bloc (Quebec) throwing their support behind it, there isn't much chance of the bill not having passed.

It's a chilling attack on churches and pastors offering counselling to people with genuine desires to seek advice about such things. Not to mention parents with their own children!
        I mean the overall "slouching toward Gomorrah" thing --- do Canadians, in general, not really care about the country's demise?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

To me this is another sign of the growing disconnect between the ruling elites and the common people. Instead of "sheep" to be lead, the common people have become clay to be molded into the shape they desire.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            To me this is another sign of the growing disconnect between the ruling elites and the common people. Instead of "sheep" to be lead, the common people have become clay to be molded into the shape they desire.
            Which is why it's fun to watch American school board meetings. The sheep are waking up!

Comment

I mean the overall "slouching toward Gomorrah" thing --- do Canadians, in general, not really care about the country's demise?
              Oh, sorry. I thought you meant grassroots support against the bill.

I think the majority of people in this country are anti-God, anti-morality, self-serving pagans. They likely don't care about the Bill, and most of them don't care about what the government does, as long as they continue to get whatever social program money they think they are entitled to. After all, they re-elected Trudeau last September after he called a useless election in the middle of the pandemic.

Comment

Which is why it's fun to watch American school board meetings. The sheep are waking up!
                And the left has begun to complain about the politicization of school boards as a result.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think the majority of people in this country are anti-God, anti-morality, self-serving pagans. They likely don't care about the Bill, and most of them don't care about what the government does, as long as they continue to get whatever social program money they think they are entitled to. After all, they re-elected Trudeau last September after he called a useless election in the middle of the pandemic.
                  OK, that's what I thought, but was hoping I was wrong.

Comment

So pretty much the same crew down here that voted for Brandon

yes. I know

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

To think so many people think Canada is a better country than the USA. Now I'm not sure which one will reach Hell first.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        So pretty much the same crew down here that voted for Brandon

yes. I know
                        Yuh.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                          To think so many people think Canada is a better country than the USA. Now I'm not sure which one will reach Hell first.
                          I believe Canada is much farther down the road to Hell than the US. But I think the US is swiftly catching up.

Comment

One of the things on my bucket list was to travel cross country through Canada in an RV, in autumn, when I retired. I'm going to have to dump that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                              One of the things on my bucket list was to travel cross country through Canada in an RV, in autumn, when I retired. I'm going to have to dump that one.
                              Some of us are still nice!

Comment