Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How much should you try to help someone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess Dave doesn't hold the door open for the person right behind him and lets the door slam in their face. After all, we hold doors open to get dogs back in the house!
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post

Jesus has pure motives. We do not. That's why we give without people knowing where it comes from.
      Wow. Your motives stink so bad that you have to hide behind the Salvation Army, Dave?

Seriously, this is yet another example of where you pick, Cafeteria Style, the verses to justify the way you want to do things, and totally ignore the totally of God's Word.

Too bad the Salvation Army wasn't around when the Good Samaritan spent so much time on the guy who needed help!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jesus was forbidding what we might call "virtue signaling ". Dave also doesn't know what a hyperbole is. He probably thinks any figure of speech is tantamount to lying.

Comment

So, the Good Samaritan, let's review... (and I'll stick with the KJV just for Dave)

Scripture Verse: Luke 10

25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? 26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? 27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. 28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live. 29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. 31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
          32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side. 33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him, 34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?

37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

© Copyright Original Source

Perhaps the Gospel According to Dave would change that last phrase to "Go, then, and donate generously to the Salvation Army".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jesus has pure motives. We do not. That's why we give without people knowing where it comes from.
            So you believe Jesus taught "Do as I say, not as I do." That would make him a hypocrite.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

So you believe Jesus taught "Do as I say, not as I do." That would make him a hypocrite.
              You can wind up in an affair you didn't plan on unless you do it according to scripture.

Comment

“But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms [charitable giving] may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.” Matthew 6:3–4 (KJV 1900)
                You are decontextualizing those two verses. You should look at the entirety of Matthew 6:1-4 "Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." (NIV)

I don't think the main point Jesus is going at is to give in anonymously. I think He is going for not making a show of your giving. The best modern analogy I can come up with of what Jesus is talking about is when a rich person donates a bundle to an organization and gets mentioned in the local media and maybe a building named for them.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

You are decontextualizing those two verses. You should look at the entirety of Matthew 6:1-4 "Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." (NIV)

I don't think the main point Jesus is going at is to give in anonymously. I think He is going for not making a show of your giving. The best modern analogy I can come up with of what Jesus is talking about is when a rich person donates a bundle to an organization and gets mentioned in the local media and maybe a building named for them.
                  Give according to scripture. You are setting yourself up for all kinds of trouble if you do not.

Comment

Or just don't do it so everyone else thinks you are a great person. Help others because helping others is good.

Comment

You can wind up in an affair you didn't plan on unless you do it according to scripture.

I think we need Paul Harvey to tell us the rest of the story.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

“But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms [charitable giving] may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.” Matthew 6:3–4 (KJV 1900)
                        So basically you are just being greedy trying to give in secret so you can get more rewards rather than just helping someone because it is the right thing to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

So basically you are just being greedy trying to give in secret so you can get more rewards rather than just helping someone because it is the right thing to do?
                          Jesus says to not be known when doing your alms. You can really trip up in this one if you ignore Him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I think we need Paul Harvey to tell us the rest of the story.
                            Your flesh is an easy target unless you do it Jesus' way.

Comment

So, when that beggar asked Peter and John for money, they should have just left instead of healing him? Again, CONTEXT MATTERS! Stop ripping verses out of context and stop taking hyperbolic statements literally! Or you get stuff like Judas went and hung himself... Go,therefore, and do likewise. The Bible doesn't actually recommend suicide. Just a joke showing why you don't rip things of of context.

Comment

Your flesh is an easy target unless you do it Jesus' way.
                                How? You think we have the free will of an inanimate object.

Comment