Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How much should you try to help someone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave L View Post

Jesus says to not be known when doing your alms. You can really trip up in this one if you ignore Him.
    Your posts are starting to read less like an exhortation and more like a confession.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Your posts are starting to read less like an exhortation and more like a confession.
      I'm in my 70s and probably have made more mistakes than you.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post

How? You think we have the free will of an inanimate object.
        Making a person feel indebted to you is not healthy.

Comment

Making a person feel indebted to you is not healthy.
          That sounds like an excuse to not help people. Just make sure to ask if they want your help. Do you refuse to grab an item from a high shelf for a fellow customer too short to reach it because that would somehow indebt them to you? Humans are interdependent. We all help and are helped. Because that's what makes a community a community. We aren't bears.
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

That sounds like an excuse to not help people. Just make sure to ask if they want your help. Do you refuse to grab an item from a high shelf for a fellow customer too short to reach it because that would somehow indebt them to you? Humans are interdependent. We all help and are helped. Because that's what makes a community a community. We aren't bears.
            I help people in Jesus' way. So they don't know me and are not beholding to me. I donate regularly to the Starvation Army who gives indiscriminately to the needy in Jesus' name. I think my wife has a load of food for them today. Are you sinning if you do not follow Jesus in the matter?

Comment

So, you want the charity volunteer to do it instead? How is that different? Why does it matter if Dave or Pete the volunteer is the one to help someone? Why don't you volunteer for the Salvation Army? So it is okay for a person to be indebted to a charity but not to you? And now we know you donate money. So it ain't secret at all.

Comment

And now we know you donate money. So it ain't secret at all.
                I believe this is referred to as "Hoisted by one's own petard."

Comment

I'm in my 70s and probably have made more mistakes than you.
                  It seems to me, then, that whatever problems you face when helping someone directly are entirely your own to be dealt with in whatever way you think is best. However, there is nothing in scripture that would prohibit direct charity. Jesus and the Apostles helped people directly on multiple occasions, and Jesus said to let your good works be seen so that God could be glorified (Matthew 5:16). What Jesus explicitly condemned was using good works to glorify yourself. If that's something you struggle with, then perhaps you should stick with anonymous giving.

Comment

It seems to me, then, that whatever problems you face when helping someone directly are entirely your own to be dealt with in whatever way you think is best. However, there is nothing in scripture that would prohibit direct charity. Jesus and the Apostles helped people directly on multiple occasions, and Jesus said to let your good works be seen so that God could be glorified (Matthew 5:16). What Jesus explicitly condemned was using good works to glorify yourself. If that's something you struggle with, then perhaps you should stick with anonymous giving.
                    I think they were a church helping instead of an individual. A local Lutheran Church has a free food stand where people can find quality products. You are supposed to help widows and the fatherless. This is not a good idea to run solo when doing so. It's best to have a woman or a group taking care of it.

Comment

Jesus was a male and directly helped people. There are many examples in the Bible of individuals directly helping people and simply not making a big deal about it.

Comment

Jesus says to not be known when doing your alms. You can really trip up in this one if you ignore Him.
                        He said not to do it to be seen or you will not get rewards in heaven but will have gotten them on earth instead. So basically that means when you help people anonymously it means you are more worried about getting a reward in heaven than in just helping the person because it is the right thing to do. If you really cared about them you would help them regardless of whether you got a reward or not.

Comment

Don't try to game the system if you're up against an omniscient "opponent". Jesus will know if you are only giving to get brownie points.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

He said not to do it to be seen or you will not get rewards in heaven but will have gotten them on earth instead. So basically that means when you help people anonymously it means you are more worried about getting a reward in heaven than in just helping the person because it is the right thing to do. If you really cared about them you would help them regardless of whether you got a reward or not.
                            He said don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. How would you like to be beholden to someone who feeds you? This is really sick, man.

Comment

He is also ignoring that Jesus said to do charity and help others IN HIS NAME, which means you would be helping them directly and letting them know you were doing it in his name.

Mark 9:41
                              For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.

Comment

He said don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. How would you like to be beholden to someone who feeds you? This is really sick, man.
                                I am more concerned about feeding them than getting a reward. If I tell them I am doing it in Jesus' name, then they are not beholden to me, but to God.

Comment