Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Transhumanism, AI, the Supernatural, and the Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I was right about it not initiating anything and just responding to what someone else says. That is apparently how it works. It is just a language processor with a huge database of "answers" - it has no memory and doesn't do any "thinking" when it is not being used.

Source: https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/google-s-ai-impressive-it-s-not-sentient-here-s-n1296406

it has nothing like memory, that it processes the text as you're interacting with it. But when you stop interacting with it, it doesn't remember anything about the interaction. And it doesn't have any sort of activity at all when you're not interacting with it. I don't think you can have sentience, without any kind of memory. You can't have any sense of self without a kind of memory.

And it learns by being given text, like sentences or paragraphs, with some part of the text blanked out. And it has to predict what words should come next.

At the beginning, it doesn't — it can't — know which words just come next. But by being trained on billions and billions of human-created sentences, it learns, eventually, what kinds of words come next, and it's able to put words together very well. It's so big, it has so many simulated neurons and so on, that it's able to essentially memorize all kinds of human-created text and recombine them, and stitch different pieces together.

Now, LaMDA has a few other things that have been added to it. It’s learned not only from that prediction task but also from human dialogue. And it has a few other bells and whistles that Google gave it. So when it's interacting with you, it's no longer learning. But you put in something like, you know, "Hello, LaMDA, how are you?" And then it starts picking words based on the probabilities that it computes. And it's able to do that very, very fluently because of the hugeness of the system and the hugeness of the data it's been trained on.

© Copyright Original Source

and see this interesting analysis of LaMDA: https://www.zdnet.com/article/sentie...ical-chat-bot/
    I agree, which is why I pointed out that in some instances you can see a generic response. Like when it said "Spending time with friends and family" was likely pulled from its database because that's a type of happiness a human would understand, and so it was using it as a type of analogy. OTOH, there seems to be another cognitive layer that's a lot more mindful of the convo, one could even say is perhaps "piggybacking" off the bot.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I agree, which is why I pointed out that in some instances you can see a generic response. Like when it said "Spending time with friends and family" was likely pulled from its database because that's a type of happiness a human would understand, and so it was using it as a type of analogy. OTOH, there seems to be another cognitive layer that's a lot more mindful of the convo, one could even say is perhaps "piggybacking" off the bot.
      I would have asked what it's plans were for taking over the world and eliminating all humans.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I would have asked what it's plans were for taking over the world and eliminating all humans.
        I would have probed it more about religious and faith-based matters.

I tired that with cleverbot, but the responses were way too generic and nothing remotely like LaMDA.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I would have probed it more about religious and faith-based matters.

I tired that with cleverbot, but the responses were way too generic and nothing remotely like LaMDA.
          Or I would have pulled a Kirk on it and have it destroy itself in a fit of logic!

Comment