Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Transhumanism, AI, the Supernatural, and the Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transhumanism, AI, the Supernatural, and the Bible

Transhumanism, the Singularity, and AI in relation to Christian theology. Are these bad things, good things, or neither in relation to theology? Where does the line cross between the acceptable advancement of technology and where it's unacceptable? The thread is open to any discussion about these topics.

Here's one for starters (for the Christians who believe in demons): If demons can posses or manipulate biological forms to behave certain ways, whether human or animal, could they somehow manipulate a complex system like AI? Where does the line cross between a biological form and an AI in this regard?
    "What am I doing here?" -- Joe Biden 2021

So to clarify here, what do you mean by demons utilizing AI? And how would that be different from demons already interacting with technology that exists (like taking down servers hosting Christian websites?)
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      So to clarify here, what do you mean by demons utilizing AI? And how would that be different from demons already interacting with technology that exists (like taking down servers hosting Christian websites?)
      That's a good question. Here's the definition of AI:

Artificial intelligence (AI) is the ability of a computer or a robot controlled by a computer to do tasks that are usually done by humans because they require human intelligence and discernment.

I'm not sure a website qualifies since it requires a human to interact with the site (i.e. click a link to the site, click buttons, etc). Normally we view AI (at least in movies and media) as functioning as an intelligent entity, possibly an autonomous robot or drone, at least that's where the philosophical discussions lead to and why a lot of folks are disturbed and troubled about the future of AI technology. The question is, could a demon take over and control such an entity, like they can a human being?
      Last edited by seanD; 11-21-2021, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Please may I fix the thread title?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I took the liberty
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Thanks!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It's certainly possible. Job 1 suggests that Satan was allowed to send a wind at one point, which might imply a limited power to control the weather. And we know demons can control animals (the herd of pigs) So it's not a stretch to say it could happen in the case you describe.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I grant mods permission to correct any of my thread titles at anytime. I have a tendency to carelessly push the post button without checking and then noticing the error too late.

Comment