Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Religious Organizations Enforcement of their Beliefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Nothing like unconditional love and acceptance is there? I think that's one reason got created animals - so we could have pets.
    Thank got

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I just wish I was half the man he thought I was.
    Nothing like unconditional love and acceptance is there? I think that's one reason got created animals - so we could have pets.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Dogs are like little kids. What they can get away with doesn't count.
    I just wish I was half the man he thought I was.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Jake and I have an agreement - what I don't know can't hurt him.
    Dogs are like little kids. What they can get away with doesn't count.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I'm now starting to understand why you never let Jake sell Amay.
    Jake and I have an agreement - what I don't know can't hurt him.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    They tried - wife always declined. She'd buy, but not sell.
    I'm now starting to understand why you never let Jake sell Amay.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

That's true. On a pastoral level, with a DUI, it would be good for the pastor or an elder to ask if they may be struggling with a drinking problem, but it's not something it would be appropriate to drag someone to the front of the congregation over.
    This is something I always stress in my role as "intentional interim pastoral advisor" - yeah, that's a thing - that the committee calling a pastor do a sufficient background check, including asking if there would be anything that could surface as an embarrassment in the future. While we can always be forgiving when there's an "ooooops", it's harder to be forgiving when there's intentional misleading.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Avon never called?
    They tried - wife always declined. She'd buy, but not sell.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

It was actually some great financial strategies which I employed without becoming an A L Williams customer - but the fact is that I got "hit on" a lot to represent this product or program or that one simply because I had a large "contact base" over which I had influence.

I'm fundamentally opposed to getting gain in such a manner. Wife feels the same way - no Tupperware or Mary Kay or anything like that.
    Avon never called?

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    There's a difference between "committed a crime" and living a criminal lifestyle or committing the same acts over and over.

One act that can fall into both would be DUI/DWIs. They can be a single act or something someone gets in trouble for multiple times.
    That's true. On a pastoral level, with a DUI, it would be good for the pastor or an elder to ask if they may be struggling with a drinking problem, but it's not something it would be appropriate to drag someone to the front of the congregation over.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Sorry, no. I must have missed or been too young for AL Williams.
    It was actually some great financial strategies which I employed without becoming an A L Williams customer - but the fact is that I got "hit on" a lot to represent this product or program or that one simply because I had a large "contact base" over which I had influence.

I'm fundamentally opposed to getting gain in such a manner. Wife feels the same way - no Tupperware or Mary Kay or anything like that.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Yeah, remember when there was the A L Williams Insurance thing? "Buy Term and Invest the Rest" - I was HOUNDED by people who wanted me to sign up to be a sales person, but I adamantly rejected that because my "clients" would almost always be church members. They made it look really appealing at the time.
    Sorry, no. I must have missed or been too young for AL Williams.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I think the key here is publicly denying Christian values. I imagine that week would do the same thing for somebody who was in a church and committed a crime that was all over the news, or who got involved with the Ku Klux Klan. Politicians come to mind here because they are public figures, and by definition have more eyes on them.
    There's a difference between "committed a crime" and living a criminal lifestyle or committing the same acts over and over.

One act that can fall into both would be DUI/DWIs. They can be a single act or something someone gets in trouble for multiple times.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Having gone to a men's breakfast and subjected to a sales pitch by a business owner, I get your point. I suppose it's how aggressively he's selling to church members or advertising his membership. If he's low key about it and providing honest service, I guess it would be ok. Trying to exploit the church to get business or he provides poor service would be a big problem. I suppose the church could have legal liability if it appears the church is endorsing his business.

Personal note one: I avoid a business that claims it's Christian owned. I've been messed up too many times by a so-called Christian business.

Personal note two: I watch the show American Greed and one episode was about an investment con man who defrauded churches and church members. The sad part was the church leadership would give him a platform for his sales pitch. No matter how good the business is, I think it's out of bounds for a church to actively promote a business.
    Yeah, remember when there was the A L Williams Insurance thing? "Buy Term and Invest the Rest" - I was HOUNDED by people who wanted me to sign up to be a sales person, but I adamantly rejected that because my "clients" would almost always be church members. They made it look really appealing at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    What about businessmen who see it as an opportunity to network and establish contacts?
    As long as they're not disrupting the fellowship, there's a chance they might get saved.

Leave a comment: