Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Religious Organizations Enforcement of their Beliefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I can't believe nobody mentioned the obvious: Pokémonk

You're welcome.
    Words fail me.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

There are multiple examples of Paul calling for church discipline, and he addresses both conduct and belief. He mentioned Hymenaeus and Philetus, who taught that Jesus's second coming had already happened (2 Timothy 2:17. That's not just your garden variety dispute over (insert secondary doctrine here), that's a pretty big deal. On the conduct side, there's also the incest guy in 1 Corinthians 5.

If we're talking about politicians, I think Paul would be just as concerned with those politicians who talk a good game about being pro-family while having a mistress on the side. To bring this in the real world, I can think of one high level conservative politician who has been attested by many sources to be active in homosexual behavior, but nobody seems willing to call him on it or even question it.
      Last edited by KingsGambit; 11-21-2021, 12:36 PM.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        There are multiple examples of Paul calling for church discipline, and he addresses both conduct and belief. He mentioned Hymenaeus and Philetus, who taught that Jesus's second coming had already happened (2 Timothy 2:17. That's not just your garden variety dispute over (insert secondary doctrine here), that's a pretty big deal. On the conduct side, there's also the incest guy in 1 Corinthians 5.

If we're talking about politicians, I think Paul would be just as concerned with those politicians who talk a good game about being pro-family while having a mistress on the side. To bring this in the real world, I can think of one high level conservative politician who has been attested by many sources to be active in homosexual behavior, but nobody seems willing to call him on it or even question it.
        Unfortunately, that's not a big deal anymore. Rick Grenell is openly gay, conservative, and "Christian."

Is this "high level conservative politician" in a heterosexual marriage? There would be reasons to "call him on" infidelity, but not on gay behavior per se.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Unfortunately, that's not a big deal anymore. Rick Grenell is openly gay, conservative, and "Christian."

Is this "high level conservative politician" in a heterosexual marriage? There would be reasons to "call him on" infidelity, but not on gay behavior per se.
          And is he one who pushes "Family Values"?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No. I was told by somebody who would be in a position to know that there is something to the rumors; otherwise I wouldn't have said anything.

But, yeah, it probably doesn't matter. Conservatives, even Christians, went gaga for Milo Yiacantspellhislastname (before he repented).
            Last edited by KingsGambit; 11-24-2021, 06:27 PM.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Back somewhat on topic, I think it would be reasonable to use church discipline against a politician voting to legalize abortion, but only because abortion is such an extreme case (legalized murder). I don't want to open up the floodgates to every other issue. Christians can reasonably disagree on issues like war, the death penalty, affirmative action, no matter what certain people say. Church discipline should be a last resort.

Comment

Back somewhat on topic, I think it would be reasonable to use church discipline against a politician voting to legalize abortion, but only because abortion is such an extreme case (legalized murder). I don't want to open up the floodgates to every other issue. Christians can reasonably disagree on issues like war, the death penalty, affirmative action, no matter what certain people say. Church discipline should be a last resort.
                Assuming, of course, that the Church in question was pro-life - since so many "churches" these days are pretty much "anything goes".
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No. I was told by somebody who would be in a position to know that there is something to the rumors; otherwise I wouldn't have said anything.

But, yeah, it probably doesn't matter. Conservatives, even Christians, went gaga for Milo Yiacantspellhislastname (before he repented).
                  FTR, I have definite problems with Guy Benson and Rick Grenell describing themselves as "Christians." Both are in homosexual marriages.

I find both of them likable, and I especially appreciate Rick's role in the Trump administration. But... "Christians"?
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Pfft. You are obviously wrong here since that just makes too much sense.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

FTR, I have definite problems with Guy Benson and Rick Grenell describing themselves as "Christians." Both are in homosexual marriages.

I find both of them likable, and I especially appreciate Rick's role in the Trump administration. But... "Christians"?
                      Yeah, being "married" to a same sex person is over the line from being "tempted" to be gay.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, being "married" to a same sex person is over the line from being "tempted" to be gay.
                        That's pretty much is surrendered to it and became a collaborator.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

That's pretty much is surrendered to it and became a collaborator.
                          Yup, a full blown endorsement - a declaration.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Assuming, of course, that the Church in question was pro-life - since so many "churches" these days are pretty much "anything goes".
                            I'm assuming that most any church that even bothers with church discipline probably would be.

Comment

I agree that public church discipline should be the last resort - especially if it means casting the person out of fellowship. You've got to leave home for people to grow into a more mature position as God leads them.

However, I think a politician exploiting a church for his political gain should be cast out.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I agree that public church discipline should be the last resort - especially if it means casting the person out of fellowship. You've got to leave home for people to grow into a more mature position as God leads them.

However, I think a politician exploiting a church for his political gain should be cast out.
                                What about businessmen who see it as an opportunity to network and establish contacts?

Comment