Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Religious Organizations Enforcement of their Beliefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I preach and teach on Matt 18:15-17 --- that's the process. I'm pretty firm on that.
    As I said, they've done the first two already. Now they want to bring the matter before the whole church. What happens now?
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

As I said, they've done the first two already. Now they want to bring the matter before the whole church. What happens now?
      Ah, sorry - I've been focused on this Rittenhouse trial... lemme go back and read back up.

As always, TM, I enjoy interacting with you, and don't want to sell you short.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ah, sorry - I've been focused on this Rittenhouse trial... lemme go back and read back up.

As always, TM, I enjoy interacting with you, and don't want to sell you short.
        I always enjoy interacting with you.

I do sometimes wish others would chime in. I find the more perspectives, the better. Sometimes I feel like it's just you and me talking. Maybe we should have our own talk show. How does the "Cow-Monk Show" or "The Thoughtful Poke Hour" sound to you?
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

I always enjoy interacting with you.

I do sometimes wish others would chime in. I find the more perspectives, the better. Sometimes I feel like it's just you and me talking. Maybe we should have our own talk show. How does the "Cow-Monk Show" or "The Thoughtful Poke Hour" sound to you?
          I would advice against Monk-Poke if it were to ever come up.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The subject of Cow Poke's post was priests denying the Eucharist to pro-abortion Catholics. Let's pick this up in a non-Catholic setting.

Your church has a statement that abortion is morally wrong. One of your members in a legislator, mayor, governor, etc. (i.e. a person with political power) who consistently votes pro-abortion. Some members of your church have come to you and said this is causing a scandal because he is advocating a position different from our church. To simplify the discussion, the members have already followed Matthew 18 and gone individually and as a group to the politician and there has been no change. They are now bringing the matter to the church.

What should the church do in this case?

Does it make a difference of the politician is also in a church leadership position?
            That seems to me to be a case of "sewing discord among the Church", and I would have to ask him to cease and desist or leave. Seriously.

However, I don't see how such a person could ever hang around, as our church is very much involved in pro-life causes, even supporting a Pregnancy Center and related causes.
            I think the problem would solve itself, because such a person wouldn't want to be identified with a church that was so clearly pro-life.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That seems to me to be a case of "sewing discord among the Church", and I would have to ask him to cease and desist or leave. Seriously.

However, I don't see how such a person could ever hang around, as our church is very much involved in pro-life causes, even supporting a Pregnancy Center and related causes.
              I think the problem would solve itself, because such a person wouldn't want to be identified with a church that was so clearly pro-life.
              This probably would be a question that would arise in a bigger church

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                And the "bigger churches" tend to be less conservative and it's easier to get "lost" in them. That's why a lot of politicians (in the old days) would suddenly be active in a local church so they could put on their campaign material, "choir member of First United Methodist" or whatever.... but in the case of Democrats, they tend to want to disassociate themselves with churches and religion.

Comment

And the "bigger churches" tend to be less conservative and it's easier to get "lost" in them. That's why a lot of politicians (in the old days) would suddenly be active in a local church so they could put on their campaign material, "choir member of First United Methodist" or whatever.... but in the case of Democrats, they tend to want to disassociate themselves with churches and religion.
                  I believe I've mentioned before how the father of two of my friends suddenly became an active member in our church a couple of months before announcing he was running for county commission, and disappeared after he lost.

Comment

I believe I've mentioned before how the father of two of my friends suddenly became an active member in our church a couple of months before announcing he was running for county commission, and disappeared after he lost.
                    Yeah, I was in a big Church in Tyler, TX - and we had a LOT of that.

The other thing was "Church League Baseball". You had to be an active member to play on the team, so we would suddenly see lots of young men being "active members" during baseball season.

One interesting side note on that, however....

One year, we had a coach who decided that practice was bogus, so he insisted that we would focus on "winning men to Jesus", and not on "winning games".
                    (I shared this with the Mormons)
                    We didn't have quite the swell of membership during baseball season, but the phenomenal thing that happened was that we won 12 Men to Jesus --- AND won every game we played!

Comment

You're probably are right. I think how this gets handled would depend on how much the larger church believes what they stand for. The more they care, the more likely they would do something.

Yup, this is a megachurch, multilocation church, and denominational issue where membership requirements and expectations are differently applied depending on the church/location. So in a conservative denomination, that's how a liberal faction can appear. I guess it doesn't happen in liberal churches because the conservatives don't join or vote with their feet.
                      Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 11-20-2021, 01:02 PM. Reason: Changed probably to are

Comment

Before he was president, Obama was a member and apparently active in Jeremiah Wright's church. Of course when it became convenient, Obama had no problems throwing Wright under the bus.

It's sad to see a church be used.

Comment

It a sign of the change in our society that being a church member has gone from being a positive to a negative.

Comment

It a sign of the change in our society that being a church member has gone from being a positive to a negative.
                            I think it's also kind of the wheat and chaff being separated --- those who "joined the church" to enhance their own political or financial futures no longer see that as useful as it once was.

(I say financial futures, because many a lawyer or accountant or whoever would join the bigger churches to increase their access to clientele)

So, in a way, it's kind of a purge.

Comment

I would advice against Monk-Poke if it were to ever come up.
                              I can't believe nobody mentioned the obvious: Pokémonk

You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I can't believe nobody mentioned the obvious: Pokémonk

You're welcome.
                                Just substitute "Sparko" for "Sternn"

Comment