Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Astrodome Chaos and Travis Scott's Satanic Concert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Here is an article with everything they know about the concert and the tragedy so far. I didn't see any curse words in the article but it does link to some videos with cussing and the F-bomb.
    https://www.vulture.com/2021/11/astr...=pocket-newtab

Seems like this rapper has a history of people getting injured at his concerts and even encouraging someone to jump at one. (excerpt from the same article linked above)

Has anything dangerous ever happened at Scott’s other shows?

Repeatedly so. In 2017, Scott encouraged a concertgoer at his Terminal 5 show in New York City to jump off a second-floor balcony, remarking, “I see you, but are you gonna do it?” At that same show, fan Kyle Green was paralyzed after being pushed off a third-floor balcony, Rolling Stone reported. In 2019, during the second Astroworld festival, hundreds of people rushed metal barricades to break into the event. Three people were hospitalized “with minor leg injuries from trampling,” Rolling Stone noted. The Police Department first described the event as insufficiently staffed, tweeting that “promoters did not plan sufficiently for the large crowds,” according to the local ABC affiliate. The Police Department deleted that tweet. It then posted a far rosier depiction of events, claiming it was “successfully working together” with organizers.

In 2015, Chicago police arrested Scott at Lollapalooza after he allegedly urged fans to climb over security barriers and come onstage, Rolling Stone reported. Scott pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in 2018 for an incident at a Rogers, Arkansas, concert the year prior; local police said Scott “encouraged people to rush the stage” (per Billboard). Hip-Hop Lately also reported that Scott has deleted a tweet from May in which he seemed to support sneaking “wild” fans into his shows.

Live Nation, which produced Astroworld, has also been subjected to scrutiny for alleged safety problems, the Houston Chronicle reported. Over a three-year period from 2016 to 2019, Live Nation Entertainment and Live Nation Worldwide were “cited for ten OSHA violations and was fined for serious violations, including problems with a ladder, rope, and scaffolding that caused a fall at a theater in Connecticut in 2016,” the newspaper stated. Officials found “minor violations” at an event venue in Mountain View, California, in 2017, and while conducting an inspection in Washington State in 2019. A non-union staff member was taken to the hospital for cuts early September 27, 2018, “when he was struck by a six-foot steel post that fell in a staging area at another California event.” The promoter was handed a $10,000 fine for that incident, per the newspaper.Live Nation faced a civil suit after a concert attendee alleged she fractured her leg while in a packed crowd at an outdoor Gwen Stefani show in summer 2016.
    I've been to my share of concerts in my misbegotten youth and while rare it wasn't unheard of for the band to invite someone on stage. Of course that was decades ago. I think the last concert I went to was a bunch of 60s groups at a charity event -- where they served cocktails.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Here is an article with everything they know about the concert and the tragedy so far. I didn't see any curse words in the article but it does link to some videos with cussing and the F-bomb.
    https://www.vulture.com/2021/11/astr...=pocket-newtab

Seems like this rapper has a history of people getting injured at his concerts and even encouraging someone to jump at one. (excerpt from the same article linked above)

Has anything dangerous ever happened at Scott’s other shows?

Repeatedly so. In 2017, Scott encouraged a concertgoer at his Terminal 5 show in New York City to jump off a second-floor balcony, remarking, “I see you, but are you gonna do it?” At that same show, fan Kyle Green was paralyzed after being pushed off a third-floor balcony, Rolling Stone reported. In 2019, during the second Astroworld festival, hundreds of people rushed metal barricades to break into the event. Three people were hospitalized “with minor leg injuries from trampling,” Rolling Stone noted. The Police Department first described the event as insufficiently staffed, tweeting that “promoters did not plan sufficiently for the large crowds,” according to the local ABC affiliate. The Police Department deleted that tweet. It then posted a far rosier depiction of events, claiming it was “successfully working together” with organizers.

In 2015, Chicago police arrested Scott at Lollapalooza after he allegedly urged fans to climb over security barriers and come onstage, Rolling Stone reported. Scott pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in 2018 for an incident at a Rogers, Arkansas, concert the year prior; local police said Scott “encouraged people to rush the stage” (per Billboard). Hip-Hop Lately also reported that Scott has deleted a tweet from May in which he seemed to support sneaking “wild” fans into his shows.

Live Nation, which produced Astroworld, has also been subjected to scrutiny for alleged safety problems, the Houston Chronicle reported. Over a three-year period from 2016 to 2019, Live Nation Entertainment and Live Nation Worldwide were “cited for ten OSHA violations and was fined for serious violations, including problems with a ladder, rope, and scaffolding that caused a fall at a theater in Connecticut in 2016,” the newspaper stated. Officials found “minor violations” at an event venue in Mountain View, California, in 2017, and while conducting an inspection in Washington State in 2019. A non-union staff member was taken to the hospital for cuts early September 27, 2018, “when he was struck by a six-foot steel post that fell in a staging area at another California event.” The promoter was handed a $10,000 fine for that incident, per the newspaper.Live Nation faced a civil suit after a concert attendee alleged she fractured her leg while in a packed crowd at an outdoor Gwen Stefani show in summer 2016.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    What came to my mind is Travis's portrayal seems similar to the TV show Supernatural portrayal of "God". As one YouTube video puts it, the portrayal of "God" is a god that is "cruel, cruel, and capricious." Both take the Christian (and theistic religions in general) portrayal of God as powerful and benevolent and changes that image. This does seem to be a change in how God is viewed over my lifetime. When I was younger, people seemed to be either having the Christian portrayal or having God is dead; God doesn't exist. Since there is Satan in this somewhere, I'm thinking Genesis 3:1 and the serpent saying "Has God said? (paraphrased)" Satan maybe trying to get rid of Christians in the world by changing how God is viewed and saying how can you believe and follow such a god?
    "Supernatural" was originally mostly a "freak of the week" show, with the underlying "yellow-eyed demon" arc woven through it. Then they developed the "demon" concept a bit more, then around Season 3 introduced the idea that "hell" was real, then in Season 4 introduced "angels" and "archangels" and "prophets," and absentee-father God. At the end of Season 5, there was a clue that the "prophet" was really "God," and he was kind of ok. Later they revealed he really was God, and he was a basically good guy, but ultimately slightly less powerful than his "sister" (!?!?!?!), and than Death. Then in the last couple of years of the series, they revealed that he was actually a cruel, capricious, sadistic jerk.

The series really would not have been a totally terrible take on Judeo-Christian concepts if they'd stopped at the end of Season 5, which pretty clearly was the original plan.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    For several years Hollyweird has presented God and/or angels as power mad homicidal maniacs (Legion, Constantine, Supernatural ...) and Satan as humorous and maybe a little mischievous, but ultimately misunderstood and not all that bad of a guy (Little Nicky, Lucifer...).

Says a lot about Hollyweird
    My take on the music video: It is addressing the tendency to try to be god - with the track title and lyrics both saying "Cut it out - that's not who you are." It doesn't seem to be a shot at religion of any stamp, but at the desire for self appointment as god.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    I don't know about the concert so I'm passing over that. I'm going to focus on the god imagery being discussed.

I get the reason Travis pick god imagery. Christianity is very influential still in the US and most people will easily pick up on the images. That he twists them seems to related to a destroying their sacredness. of them. Sort of like someone using a rainbow colored stole to show support for the LGBTQ+ community. While he means well, it changes how the stole is viewed and eventually takes away it's sacredness.

What came to my mind is Travis's portrayal seems similar to the TV show Supernatural portrayal of "God". As one YouTube video puts it, the portrayal of "God" is a god that is "cruel, cruel, and capricious." Both take the Christian (and theistic religions in general) portrayal of God as powerful and benevolent and changes that image. This does seem to be a change in how God is viewed over my lifetime. When I was younger, people seemed to be either having the Christian portrayal or having God is dead; God doesn't exist. Since there is Satan in this somewhere, I'm thinking Genesis 3:1 and the serpent saying "Has God said? (paraphrased)" Satan maybe trying to get rid of Christians in the world by changing how God is viewed and saying how can you believe and follow such a god?
    For several years Hollyweird has presented God and/or angels as power mad homicidal maniacs (Legion, Constantine, Supernatural ...) and Satan as humorous and maybe a little mischievous, but ultimately misunderstood and not all that bad of a guy (Little Nicky, Lucifer...).

Says a lot about Hollyweird

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Since truth is now dependent on what someone thinks it is, we'll never discern what the truth of what happened is.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    And I note that there are all kinds of internet conspiracy theories popping up, so it will be even more difficult to discern the truth.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    I don't know about the concert so I'm passing over that. I'm going to focus on the god imagery being discussed.

I get the reason Travis pick god imagery. Christianity is very influential still in the US and most people will easily pick up on the images. That he twists them seems to related to a destroying their sacredness. of them. Sort of like someone using a rainbow colored stole to show support for the LGBTQ+ community. While he means well, it changes how the stole is viewed and eventually takes away it's sacredness.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Faber View Post
    I saw some video footage where hundreds of people, maybe over a thousand, barged through the gates to get into a concert while the guards, some on horseback, were totally unable to stop the crowd. Was that the same concert?
    Yes, and when I saw that BEFORE the concert, it was obvious it wasn't going to end well.

Two people told me that when Scott saw people apparently dead on the ground, he yelled "see you on the other side". I can't confirm that with actual video, but a lot of the video I have seen is so laced with the F bomb I can't even post it.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Interesting that Kanye was his mentor, especially seeing the direction West is going.

I never heard of Scott, but then again, I think rap is just stupid.

Leave a comment:

• Faber
    replied
    I saw some video footage where hundreds of people, maybe over a thousand, barged through the gates to get into a concert while the guards, some on horseback, were totally unable to stop the crowd. Was that the same concert?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Source: Travis Scott Speaks On “Wash Us In The Blood” & What Religion In Hip-Hop Means To Him

"I still find faith in everything."

Travis Scott recently reunited with his mentor Kanye West on “Wash Us in the Blood,” West’s latest foray into Christianity-infused hip-hop. While this is more of a new lane for Travis, the Houston MC is perfectly comfortable mixing rap and religion. In a recent interview with The Face Magazine, he reflected on dabbling in Christian rap alongside West.

"My grandmother and my grandfather always kept me in that. My mom and dad always. For sure, a thousand percent. I still find faith in everything,” he says. ​“I mean, I’ve made records where I don’t curse. Not every song has to have a curse word in it for it to be good. So it’s not about that. And I think, even in the beginning, [Kanye’s music] was church-inspired, too.”

He added that religious rap can still be “real talk… and sometimes a lot of real talk ain’t soft.”

On “Wash Us in the Blood,” Scott raps about the Sixth Commandment of “Thou shalt not kill,” comparing it to the United States' death penalty policy:

Execution, thirty states (That’s right)
    Thirty states still execute (Ah)
    Thou shall not kill, I shall not spill, Nextels at the rendezvous

He’s previously mixed some religious themes into his music, like on the ASTRWORLD cut, “STOP TRYING TO BE GOD,” when he raps:

Stop tryna be God Almighty
    [f-bomb] the money, never leave your people behind, yeah
    It’s never love, no matter what you try
    Still can see it comin' down your eyes
    ‘Cause they did not create commandments (Ooh-ooh)
    When you hustle, always make it fancy (Ooh-ooh)

Elements of religion are also in some of his earlier work. He opens his much-loved Days Before Rodeo mixtape with “The Prayer,” which finds him name-checking Jesus and rapping over a church organ.

While West has expressed a desire to only release Christian music going forward, it looks like Travis will continue selectively weaving religious themes into his work.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

As for the song... Here is the only postable explanation I found.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    started a topic Astrodome Chaos and Travis Scott's Satanic Concert?

Astrodome Chaos and Travis Scott's Satanic Concert?

I put this in a Christian only area, because I don't want it to go down the tubes like so many other threads about the state of our world from a religious perspective.

Before last week, I never heard of Travis Scott.

In the last couple days, I have talked to at least a half dozen young people who attended the concert, and very emphatically tell me it was a Satanic event.

Anybody know anything more about this?

Sadly, MOST of the videos and articles I have found on this are so full of curse words I can't post them.

Kylie Jenner is a Golden Angel in Travis Scott's 'Stop Trying to be God' Music Video

Travis Scott has officially unveiled a cinematic music video for "STOP TRYING TO BE GOD," and it's filled with Christian symbolism with a dark twist.

The clip shows negative aspects of religion, as he (acting as God) terrorizes a town with fire and lasers--a tribute to someone who ruins others by thinking too highly of himself. A modern day baptism and Travis Scott herding demonic sheep are also weaved throughout the visual.

Kylie Jenner makes an appearance as a golden angel comforting Travis as their house goes up in flames. At the end, Scott recreates a manger scene, with his lady Jenner in a farm holding a lamb, an animal often used to refer to Jesus.

I have seen several videos where people on stage are yelling to Scott that there are DEAD PEOPLE, and he keeps performing.