Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Discipling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Shared this before, but...

Even when I'm not pastoring, I still attend Church. I was between Churches for a while about 10 years ago, so we started attending a Bible Church.
    REALLY GOOD expository preaching, but we had to endure the "praise and worship" music.

What was amazing --- the "praise team" would "lead" in such a way that they appeared to be "really into it" - eyes closed, faces heavenward, arms uplifted....
    but I'd look around and almost NOBODY in the audience was singing --- the "praise team" was doing their own thing.

Then, every once in a while, they'd break out a traditional hymn, and I'd look around and see nearly EVERYBODY singing!!!

It's a mind-boggling thing!
    I remember 30 or so ago sitting in a mainline church and listening to the pastor preach that worship was for the audience of God and not the congregation. The point being the choir was to lead the congregation to worship God and not to entertain the congregation. I think the point got emphasized over multiple services.

Certainly, don't recall hearing that klnd of teaching in the more evangelical churches I've attended. They'll say "Give the praise to God" but sometimes I'm not sure that message sinks in.

Ah well, no church is perfect.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I remember 30 or so ago sitting in a mainline church and listening to the pastor preach that worship was for the audience of God and not the congregation. The point being the choir was to lead the congregation to worship God and not to entertain the congregation. I think the point got emphasized over multiple services.

Certainly, don't recall hearing that klnd of teaching in the more evangelical churches I've attended. They'll say "Give the praise to God" but sometimes I'm not sure that message sinks in.

Yes and don't let anything or anyone except of course outright heresy put you off. We also need to go to be a blessing not to just receive. From what I can gather you and your wife will add value and be a blessing to any church or group you join.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Yes, this is something that the more liberal churches do tend to get right; they have more of a focus on everybody in the congregation participating in the service.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I have a problem with preachers who say, "It doesn't matter if you don't like the music style. It's for worshiping God, not for entertaining YOU."

True enough, but proper music will enhance our worship experience. And yes, worship and everything else about our relationship with God should be EXPERIENCED. If we're having to make a conscious effort to wrestle with the music, it takes our focus off the Lord. It's a hindrance to worship.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post

Yes and don't let anything or anyone except of course outright heresy put you off. We also need to go to be a blessing not to just receive. From what I can gather you and your wife will add value and be a blessing to any church or group you join.
            I wonder how possible it would be today to have most church services practice 1 Cor. 14:26.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              I have a problem with preachers who say, "It doesn't matter if you don't like the music style. It's for worshiping God, not for entertaining YOU."

True enough, but proper music will enhance our worship experience. And yes, worship and everything else about our relationship with God should be EXPERIENCED. If we're having to make a conscious effort to wrestle with the music, it takes our focus off the Lord. It's a hindrance to worship.
              Last Sunday, I cringed a little when the man opening the service said "We hope you enjoy the service."

I agree proper music will enhance our worship of God by helping us focus on Him. I won't go as far as to say because we are worshipping God, we'll feel His presence.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

After missing the previous Sunday, I made it to church last Sunday. My wife had a rotten night's sleep and needed to rest.

I was glad about 10 people asked how she was doing. In the previous church, I'd be lucky if it was one person who would ask.

No change on the music front.

The sermon was definitely more expository than previously. He preached on salvation, water baptism, and communion and how salvation is the prerequisite for the other two. He says over the next weeks he will be preaching on the AoG's 16 fundamental truths.

They also celebrated communion. I was wondering as I got ready when they did that.

After the service, I said I was glad he was preaching on the topics and how so infrequently you hear preaching on this. He responded he's amazed how many Christians seem to have forgotten what the Bible says. He may not be the greatest preacher, but he does look to be on the right track.

Found out the church in addition to sending a missionary has a general fund for missionary support. I'm now praying about should I support that in addition to the specific missionary plus what God wants me to give to the general fund of the church. Touchy subject at home because my wife doesn't want me used for the money God has given me to steward.

Also praying for how fast and deeply I want to get involved. They have an interest survey on their website which I haven't completed yet.

Next step, push myself to go to the Friday night Bible study and see what that's like.

For those that are interested, here are the 16 Fundamental Truths according to AoG. Link with more discussion https://ag.org/Beliefs/Statement-of-Fundamental-Truths.
                1. The Scriptures Inspired
                2. The One True God
                3. The Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ
                4. The Fall of Man
                5. The Salvation of Man
                6. The Ordinances of the Church
                7. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit
                8. The Initial Physical Evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit
                9. Sanctification
                10. The Church and its Mission
                11. The Ministry
                12. Divine Healing
                13. The Blessed Hope
                14. The Millennial Reign of Christ
                15. The Final Judgment
                16. The New Heavens and the New Earth
                Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 05-24-2022, 08:06 AM. Reason: Added List of 16 Fundemental Truths

Comment