Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Discipling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discipling

After my wife and I find a new church home, I've come to realize that I need serious discipling. I've lost a lot of ground during Covid. This is a multipart discussion so please contribute to one part even if you don't want to respond to all.

First, has anyone had a discipleship experience they want to share?

What should I expect as a disciple? After thinking about this for awhile, I've coming to realize the best analogy is marriage counseling. Instead of me and the wife, it's me and God. I don't want this to become self-help therapy - manage anger, family responsibilities, what happened this week, etc. These will probably come up in the course of discussion but I really don't them to become the focus.

What should I be looking for in a discipler? Certainly a man who has strong belief and relationship with God. Ability and desire to help others grow in their relationship with God. I think, also, someone who has a good handle on the difference between the essentials and non-essentials.

If you were going to be a discipler, what would you see as your role and how would you do it?

While I don't see this as a rest of my life activity, just a more disciplined time-commitment for a period, I also don't want it to be one or two meetings and done. I'm guessing at least a year? My hope is at the end I have a relationship with God such that He is more present and more discipling of me than now.

On a side note, I've heard about people providing spiritual guidance. When I look around here for people that do that, generally they seem to be non-Christians. Do you think spiritual guidance and discipleship are the same thing or something different? Is there overlap?
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Just some real quick notes....

the 2 Timothy 2:2 thing should be a part of this, I think. (I'll stop adding "I think" if you'll accept that this is all "what I think" )

Scripture Verse:

And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

© Copyright Original Source

I think (did it again) that there needs to be a greater focus on men discipling men - as women seem to find prayer circles, prayer groups, ladies' Bible studies, etc....

So, what Paul tells Timothy leads me to believe that every Timothy needs a Paul, and every Paul needs a Timothy.

Unfortunately, there aren't many Churches that have a strong men's group, or men's discipleship program.

I have been lax in this area since (and through) Covid, but you are reminding me I need to get back to this.

I have had a "Paul" in my life, in the form of my Pastor, Robby Wynn, who recently went to be with the Lord. GREAT influence in my life.

And I have had a number of "Timothy" individuals, and currently have two. Discipling them means, to me, more "accountability" than anything else.
    Started off with something simple like challenging them to memorize the books of the Bible, then specific verses, like 2 Tim 2:2.

And as they become more "discipled", the challenge will be for them to be a "Paul" to a "Timothy".

You, sir, have inspired me to reinstitute the "Paul and Timothy" program in my church again.

More, later... I think.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Just some real quick notes....

the 2 Timothy 2:2 thing should be a part of this, I think. (I'll stop adding "I think" if you'll accept that this is all "what I think" )

Scripture Verse:

And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

© Copyright Original Source

I think (did it again) that there needs to be a greater focus on men discipling men - as women seem to find prayer circles, prayer groups, ladies' Bible studies, etc....

So, what Paul tells Timothy leads me to believe that every Timothy needs a Paul, and every Paul needs a Timothy.

Unfortunately, there aren't many Churches that have a strong men's group, or men's discipleship program.

I have been lax in this area since (and through) Covid, but you are reminding me I need to get back to this.

I have had a "Paul" in my life, in the form of my Pastor, Robby Wynn, who recently went to be with the Lord. GREAT influence in my life.

And I have had a number of "Timothy" individuals, and currently have two. Discipling them means, to me, more "accountability" than anything else.
        Started off with something simple like challenging them to memorize the books of the Bible, then specific verses, like 2 Tim 2:2.

And as they become more "discipled", the challenge will be for them to be a "Paul" to a "Timothy".

You, sir, have inspired me to reinstitute the "Paul and Timothy" program in my church again.

More, later... I think.
        We sometimes seem to think that God has one purpose when something happens. I think He accomplishes multiple things with one event. That's my way of saying part of God's purpose for the OP may have been to prompt you to restart the "Paul and Timothy" group. I pray it will be a blessing to the participants.

I know every post is someone's thinking so you don't have to say it unless, of course, "I think therefore I Cow Poke."

I agree most churches don't have strong groups for men. My wife mentioned a church she'd like to try. I looked it up and it had a women's activities but nothing for men. The more I read about why men don't go to church the less surprised I get that Christianity is the only major religion where the majority of the adherents are women. I think it's going to get worse as the lack of men's activities result in men leaving the church.

You also reminded me that I use to copy books of the Bible. I think I'm to start doing that again. The one part of the Bible I've never really read is the minor prophets so I think I'll start with those books.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

My wife's Catholic church has a men's Bible study. I actually attended once as a resident non-Catholic before my work schedule changed. I found that what I had to say was still welcome. At one point, the topic of homosexuality came up and I was able to talk about why I thought it was wrong. I wouldn't have felt as comfortable talking about that sort of thing in mixed company. Being able to just honestly discuss spiritual things turned out to be the sort of fellowship with other men that I crave and I didn't even know it.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I hope no one minds that I occasionally post here describing what's going on in my spiritual life. I really don't have anyone to talk to about it otherwise.

It's going badly. I have this enormous fatigue about doing things by myself. I just can't get myself to make the effort. Also, I have a possibly irrational fear of looking like a hypocrite to my wife.

Maybe the one positive is I remembered I really have a heart for supporting missionaries. A local Bible college has a missions program. I think after Christmas, I'm going to reach to them and see how I can be connected to a missionary as a supporting person.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
              I hope no one minds that I occasionally post here describing what's going on in my spiritual life. I really don't have anyone to talk to about it otherwise.

It's going badly. I have this enormous fatigue about doing things by myself. I just can't get myself to make the effort. Also, I have a possibly irrational fear of looking like a hypocrite to my wife.

Maybe the one positive is I remembered I really have a heart for supporting missionaries. A local Bible college has a missions program. I think after Christmas, I'm going to reach to them and see how I can be connected to a missionary as a supporting person.

Have you ever talked to your wife about your fears?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Is there a food pantry or faith-based charity or something at which you and she can volunteer together? Or is that something not in your nature. (not everybody feels comfortable doing that)
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Have you ever talked to your wife about your fears?
                  Unfortunately, this is an area of conversation my wife isn't very good at. She seems to work off the stereotype that men don't have feelings.

Yes, I should do this but only after and waiting to discern the right time.

Comment

Is there a food pantry or faith-based charity or something at which you and she can volunteer together? Or is that something not in your nature. (not everybody feels comfortable doing that)
                    That's a very good idea but it's going have to wait for post-Covid. We're both nervous about contracting it and right now we have a very high transmission rate here. We don't go to church right now for that reason. About all we do is go to the store, the doctor, and a couple family members. We're very thankful that I can work from home.

We've both done volunteering in the past so this should be something we pick up again someday. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

That's a very good idea but it's going have to wait for post-Covid. We're both nervous about contracting it and right now we have a very high transmission rate here. We don't go to church right now for that reason. About all we do is go to the store, the doctor, and a couple family members. We're very thankful that I can work from home.

We've both done volunteering in the past so this should be something we pick up again someday. Thanks for the suggestion.
                      Where there's a will, there's a way. My mom was a "prayer warrior". She would get the prayer list from the Church and go into a bedroom she had converted into a prayer/reading room. She had diabetes, and eventually she lost most of her sight. So Dad would print the prayer requests in REALLY LARGE FONT, and Mom would sit and read those and pray, and have Dad write cards to the people, and she would pray for them, sign the cards, and mail them...

I'm not suggesting you do that, but it's always been an inspiration to me that there's ALWAYS something we can do, despite our situation or perceived liabilities.

Comment

A short update on my efforts at self-discipling.

My wife and I are doing better at praying together. Also, we're beginning to pray more for needs of others than just our daily bread.

Neither of us are reading the Bible like we should.

Haven't started work on finding a missionary to support.

Given my wife's fear of Covid, not expecting to start looking for a church home until April.

Thanks.

Comment

A short update on my efforts at self-discipling.

My wife and I are doing better at praying together. Also, we're beginning to pray more for needs of others than just our daily bread.

Neither of us are reading the Bible like we should.

Haven't started work on finding a missionary to support.

Given my wife's fear of Covid, not expecting to start looking for a church home until April.

Thanks.
                          Update appreciated. I have a Jewish friend our Church is supporting through "Hope for Israel". I can attest he's a worthy candidate to consider.

Comment

After my wife and I find a new church home, I've come to realize that I need serious discipling. I've lost a lot of ground during Covid. This is a multipart discussion so please contribute to one part even if you don't want to respond to all.

First, has anyone had a discipleship experience they want to share?

What should I expect as a disciple? After thinking about this for awhile, I've coming to realize the best analogy is marriage counseling. Instead of me and the wife, it's me and God. I don't want this to become self-help therapy - manage anger, family responsibilities, what happened this week, etc. These will probably come up in the course of discussion but I really don't them to become the focus.

What should I be looking for in a discipler? Certainly a man who has strong belief and relationship with God. Ability and desire to help others grow in their relationship with God. I think, also, someone who has a good handle on the difference between the essentials and non-essentials.

If you were going to be a discipler, what would you see as your role and how would you do it?

While I don't see this as a rest of my life activity, just a more disciplined time-commitment for a period, I also don't want it to be one or two meetings and done. I'm guessing at least a year? My hope is at the end I have a relationship with God such that He is more present and more discipling of me than now.

On a side note, I've heard about people providing spiritual guidance. When I look around here for people that do that, generally they seem to be non-Christians. Do you think spiritual guidance and discipleship are the same thing or something different? Is there overlap?
                            Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: Bill the Cat

This area of the forum is for orthodox Christians only. Please refrain from posting in this part of the board.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Bill the Cat; 01-12-2022, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Update appreciated. I have a Jewish friend our Church is supporting through "Hope for Israel". I can attest he's a worthy candidate to consider.
                              Thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider him.

Comment