Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pop preachers and their heretical beliefs

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Heresy Hunters are so comical. Why do they always go for the shiny, juicy, low-hanging fruit? As a typical Pente-hostile Lutheran, Chris is obviously, by his own words, dismissive of all Pentecostal and Charismatic beliefs. Why doesn't he target people influential in academia? If his goal is really to protect the Church, shouldn't he target those who are teaching the next generation of leaders? For example...

Craig Keener.

Wayne Grudem. (PDF)

The late Gordon Fee.

Sam Storms. (In regard to so-called "false" prophecies, see esp. pp. 125-6 of Practicing the Power.)

Ben Witherington III in Conflict and Community in Corinth, p. 286.
    I'll give them a more thorough reading when opportunity permits, but right now Grudem's assessment seems to have quite a few questionable assumptions. Not least among them is the claim that
    Jesus introduced "apostle" as a new term for a "prophet."
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

I'll give them a more thorough reading when opportunity permits, but right now Grudem's assessment seems to have quite a few questionable assumptions. Not least among them is the claim that
      Jesus introduced "apostle" as a new term for a "prophet."
      Yeah, that's odd. I skimmed to the part where he was talking about the "gift" of prophecy in the NT, and the different "rules" from OT prophecy.

One could kinda sorta make sense of that claim about apostles if pretty much all you had to go on was Eph. 2:20. One could interpret that as Prophets for the OT, Apostles for the NT, meeting at Jesus. But that doesn't make sense of the other places where both "apostles" and "prophets" occur together.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Several times now, while glancing at thread titles, I've seen this as "Pop preachers and their hysterical beliefs."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Several times now, while glancing at thread titles, I've seen this as "Pop preachers and their hysterical beliefs."
          Well, they are that, also.
          When I Survey....

Comment

Several times now, while glancing at thread titles, I've seen this as "Pop preachers and their hysterical beliefs."
            I'd prefer that title, since a lot of them, wacky as they are, do not rise to the level of "heresy."
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Yeah, that's odd. I skimmed to the part where he was talking about the "gift" of prophecy in the NT, and the different "rules" from OT prophecy.

One could kinda sorta make sense of that claim about apostles if pretty much all you had to go on was Eph. 2:20. One could interpret that as Prophets for the OT, Apostles for the NT, meeting at Jesus. But that doesn't make sense of the other places where both "apostles" and "prophets" occur together.
              More a matter of judges (and perhaps kings, over God's objections) for the Old Testament, apostles for the New, I think.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

That's hysterical!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Those same false preachers also teach that believers ought to be able to handle snakes and drink poison without getting hurt, and so many people actually try it deliberately -- and fatally. It would be "hysterical" if it wasn't so tragic.

~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                    Those same false preachers also teach that believers ought to be able to handle snakes and drink poison without getting hurt, and so many people actually try it deliberately -- and fatally. It would be "hysterical" if it wasn't so tragic.

Yeah. That last bit of Mark that wasn’t in the original has caused quite a lot of this sort of thing over the years.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Yeah. That last bit of Mark that wasn’t in the original has caused quite a lot of this sort of thing over the years.
                      If the people concerned considered that Jesus didn't turn stones into bread, nor jump from a high place, they might apply that perspective to the passage in Mark (most of which, by the way, is embedded in the other gospels).
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Those same false preachers also teach that believers ought to be able to handle snakes and drink poison without getting hurt, and so many people actually try it deliberately -- and fatally. It would be "hysterical" if it wasn't so tragic.

"[C]essationism is at least heterodox and unbiblical."

The clowns at "Messed up Church" are more messed up than any of those wackos they showed in the video.

"Nice" Christians like to say we need "unity." I think we may really need a new "Great Schism." Messed up Church, Wretched Radio, Justin Peters, and the rest of those Pente-hostile mopes clearly believe that all "continuationists" are seriously in error, and I'm with Dr. Olsen in what I quoted above. Instead of just calling out "NAR" and "Word-Faith," let them start calling out my whole side, in video after video. Name names. Craig Keener, Sam Storms, Ben Witherington, Lucy Peppiat, Cherith Fee Nordling, Wayne Grudem...

Regarding the "traditional Christians have always believed" jazz, see the "kenosis" threads.

Regarding the content of the "long ending" of Mark, those who view it as a later addition often consider it represented what was actually commonly observed among "believers" in the Early Church. The "serpents" thing was literal, with Acts 28 as an example. The account in the apocryphal "Acts of John" was probably an example of the "drink deadly poison" thing.

Regarding Luke 10, the context suggests "serpents and scorpions" in that context were metaphorical, but that's not particularly important.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

• Ok...images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBTn7VoIIXqpIdqUUve354M5OYo1CbbuleXPoK0gJSpA&usqp=CAU&ec=48665701.jpg

Can someone point me to a specific example of Heidi Baker or Randy Clark saying something outright "heretical"? I've been looking around online for a couple of days, so far mainly for stuff about Heidi. I've watched videos by Rosey from F4F. So far, I have not heard him use the words "heresy" or "heretical." He accuses her (and really, virtually all Pentecostals) of "disobeying" 1 Cor. 12:30 and 14:27-28; I'm not sure whether his doing so is intentional slander, or just ignorance of different hermeneutical approaches. In any case, even if his hermeneutical approach is correct, her/our "error" would not qualify as heresy, so at least he doesn't go that far.

Other than that, I've seen him mock her a lot -- and frankly, I'm not totally comfortable with her style -- but so far, I have not found him pointing out any particular teaching as "heresy."

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luke 18:11
                            "The Pharisee stood and was praying thus to himself, `God, I thank Thee that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax-gatherer.
                            ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

Truly awful.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• So one heretical belief that the pop preachers profusely propagate is that those who follow Christ should do "greater miracles" than He did, which is a terrible twisting of that part of Scripture:

That said, here's a "grater thing."

Now I can't but wonder whether there's a roguetech variant in keeping with its style.
                                ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment