Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pop preachers and their heretical beliefs

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Yeah, she's silly.

But JP is fairly silly also. His stodgy view of God fixates on Him as the stern King, and ignores that He is the welcoming Abba. Jesus is Lord of lords, but He also calls us His friends and brothers and sisters.
    He's not silly. He holds a high view of God, respecting and fearing His righteousness as we all should do. Most WoF fruitcakes do not. They treat God like their best buddy and are extremely flippant in their attitude to His holiness.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• So about 10 years ago, some false prophetess pulled a random pastor out of his seat during her tent meeting and started speaking all kinds of good things about him and gave him the microphone to say a few words. He started proclaiming the true Gospel message and rebuked her false prophecies, upon which she took back the microphone and rebuked him as being a devil. Todd Friel shares and comments:

Good on that pastor.
      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

• That was so great!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Oopsie.

Comment

• Her look at 3:10 when he calls her out: priceless.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Her look at 3:10 when he calls her out: priceless.
              A Prophet of God using her Gift as a Prophet, recognizing another Prophet of God, giving him license to speak, Declaring Him a Prophet, then declaring him a false prophet.....

Yeah, entertaining at best.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• So after Benny Hinn's faux repentance and Todd White's faux repentance, Creflo Dollar decided to jump on the faux repentance bandwagon. Apparently faux repentance is becoming a trend.

~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                  So after Benny Hinn's faux repentance and Todd White's faux repentance, Creflo Dollar decided to jump on the faux repentance bandwagon. Apparently faux repentance is becoming a trend.

There were some rumors going around this weekend that he told his congregation to get rid of anything they have of his where he says tithing is necessary because he had a revelation that tithing is an OT practice and no longer relevant.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• So about a year ago, Ken Copeland had a wheelchair disaster:

Recently, Todd White -- who says he's learned so much from Ken Copeland -- had a wheelchair disaster of his own.
                    Last edited by The Melody Maker; 09-05-2022, 06:43 PM. Reason: Fixed some spelling and punctuation errors.
                    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

• Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

So about a year ago, Ken Copeland had a wheelchair disaster:

Recently, Todd White -- who says he's learned so much from Ken Copeland -- had a wheelchair disaster of his own.
                        Was it Copeland who had people with leg and back problems sit in wheelchairs and then after they were wheeled onstage tell them to stand and walk (which they previously could do but painfully), so that when the crowd saw them stand and hobble about a bit (just like they could do previously) they would think it was a miracle?

Or was that another televangelist's shtick?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Was it Copeland who had people with leg and back problems sit in wheelchairs and then after they were wheeled onstage tell them to stand and walk (which they previously could do but painfully), so that when the crowd saw them stand and hobble about a bit (just like they could do previously) they would think it was a miracle?

Or was that another televangelist's shtick?
                          You could make a list and they might all be on it. Benny Hinn might be at the top…..

Comment

So about a year ago, Ken Copeland had a wheelchair disaster:

*sigh*

A'ight, I'm gonna g'head and pee in the punch bowl.

I did not see any "disaster" in the Cope one. AFAICT, fall-over guy was not harmed. The title is click-bait.

At this point, I have only watched part of the Todd White one. He's not from my era, and his loud style is very annoying. As of about 1/3 of the way through, it also does not appear to be a "disaster."

Regarding Cope, I definitely take issue with his opening remark. It's a cute turn of phrase, but when analyzed, it takes all responsibility off the preacher/healer and dumps it all on the head of the hearer. The burden it places on everyday believers is one of the biggest faults of WoF theology.

I have very minor issues with one or two points of the last two+ minutes where Cope has the congregants lay hands on each other and pray.

Nothing else Cope said or did jumped out at me or made a particularly negative impression.

Honestly, I have about as much disdain for the "Messed up Church" team as I do for WoF preachers. The way they manipulated the videos -- echo, slow-mo, silly music, repeating stuff over and over, inserting their snark and satire -- did nothing to advance their cause. And a lot of their narrative and inserted "commentary" gives the impression that they are uncomfortable with any kind of Pentecostal-type doctrines and practices, not just Word-Faith and Prosperity Gospel.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• I decided to go back and review the first few pages of this thread. Some observations:

-- The "Berean Faith" site linked in Post #8 and possibly elsewhere no longer exists.

-- The "AFC Ministry" link in Post #5 now links to a site with the same name, but the site-title at the top of the browser window says this:

"God's Rules for Sex: Sexual Chat and Prohibitions."

A sidebar lists this purpose:

God Loves Us

We all have desires, and We all have dirty minds. We are humans. God forgive us, but there are ways that we will not hurt our relationship with god and getting pleasure without being guilty.

That's the purpose of this blog.

Those little glitches are not my main concerns. My main concerns are the title of the OP, and in general the sources chosen as authorities on orthodoxy and heresy.

Clearly many of the things appearing in those citations are *at least* strange and/or erroneous. But I would prefer to see the person posting each one at least briefly cite what "heresy," if any, is being presented.

I would like to know about the sources of the citations. I'm waiting for a reply from Steve Kozar at "Messed Up Church" to find out whether his organization completely opposes everything Pentecostal and Charismatic, or only the Word-Faith, Prosperity, and NAR stuff. Stuff available by download or purchase from PFO make it clear they are completely opposed to Pentecostal and Charismatic beliefs and practices. ACT / Deception in the Church claims to accept the "charismatic gifts" and to only oppose Pentecostal "extremism," but I'm not sure exactly what they consider "extreme."

Basically, if these mooks are the arbiters of orthodoxy, this thread is a farce. If, as should clearly be the case, I were The Decider, I would declare anyone who considers Pentecostalism or Charismaticism to be heretical or even heterodox to himself be a heretic. Of course, I also hold firmly to the truism that "Everybody is somebody's heretic."
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• C'mon, man.

Just let go of your thinking! And it will all become clear.

Comment