Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians and the use of sarcasm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never mind, would serve the purpose
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

True...but sarcasm is usually done to make a point.
      Or, if you're like H_A and get caught saying something dumb, you can always claim it was sarcasm, and it's your own fault for not catching it!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Or, if you're like H_A and get caught saying something dumb, you can always claim it was sarcasm, and it's your own fault for not catching it!
        An interesting pattern seems to be evident.

HA.jpg
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Facebook hates the Babylon Bee, ergo sarcasm and satire are godly.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            Facebook hates the Babylon Bee, ergo sarcasm and satire are godly.
            I think the supposed "fact checkers" hate them even more. Snopes had "fact checked" their satirical articles several times getting them in trouble with Facebook. Others, like Reuters and USA Today at least make it clear the site is a satirical site. IIRC, the NYT has also wrote several articles attacking the Bee.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I think the supposed "fact checkers" hate them even more. Snopes had "fact checked" their satirical articles several times getting them in trouble with Facebook. Others, like Reuters and USA Today at least make it clear the site is a satirical site. IIRC, the NYT has also wrote several articles attacking the Bee.
              All the right people hate them.

Now that I think about it, that -- his being maniacally hated by all the right people -- was the main thing that pushed me off the fence to vote for Bad Orange Man in 2016.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: sparko

This is a Christian only area. Please watch where you post. Thank you

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Sparko; 09-30-2021, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  Had an interesting question come across my feed on FB...

For a Christian, is sarcasm a good or bad thing?

Thoughts?
                  Got Questions has a article on this subject:

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-sarcasm.html

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post

Got Questions has a article on this subject:

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-sarcasm.html
                    A more accurate picture of the differences between irony, satire, and sarcasm can be found here: even so, it does not include a full range of meanings and applications of the terms.

George Orwell's Animal Farm is classified as satire - with irony underpinning its basic message.

It should be remembered too, that Jesus was known to use outright insult when circumstances warranted, so - the assessment by "gotquestions" needs a bit more than a bit of work.
                    Last edited by tabibito; 10-01-2021, 06:58 AM.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

And then there's this delightful site.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                        And then there's this delightful site.
                        There's that picture again.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

A more accurate picture of the differences between irony, satire, and sarcasm can be found here: even so, it does not include a full range of meanings and applications of the terms.

George Orwell's Animal Farm is classified as satire - with irony underpinning its basic message.

It should be remembered too, that Jesus was known to use outright insult when circumstances warranted, so - the assessment by "gotquestions" needs a bit more than a bit of work.
                          Something I've noted upon several different occasions

This is a point that I and others frequently raise when unbelievers start this crap.

Christ used insults Himself to drive home His message. He understood that some times it was necessary to speak plainly and directly, to explicitly call out something as it is by its right name rather than sugar coat it. This was something that folks like Paul, John the Baptist and the prophets and even Jesus often did. They did not shrink from using harsh language to make their point and did not beat around the bush because they were scared they might upset someone's delicate sensibilities. Jesus did not come to make "nice" but rather was honest and forthright

For instance, look at what Christ said in Matthew 23:33 to the Pharisees: "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell?" In the same exchange He repeatedly and explicitly referred to them as "hypocrites," as well as "whitewashed tombs" (looks good on the outside but full of rot and uncleanness on the inside), "blind fools" and even "child of hell" (in John 8:44 He said "You are of your father the devil"[1]).

Earlier at His baptism He called the Pharisees and Sadducees a brood of vipers (Matthew 3:7) and again after casting out a demon He said "You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil?" (Matthew 12:34).

And often the insults were much more subtle (at least to us in the 21st century) but just as telling. For instance in Matt. 12:5 when Christ asks the Pharisees "Or have you not read in the Law..." this was a very serious slap in the face. The Pharisees spent a great deal of their time reading and studying the Law so to ask them "have you not read" was akin to calling them morons and imbeciles for being incapable of understanding what they read.

Moreover Jesus did far more than merely use strong language as you alluded to. In the cleansing of the Temple account we are told in John 2 that Jesus made a whip or scourge out of cords and used it to drive out the money-changers (who's tables He over-turned in the process).

But atheists want us to believe that Jesus was all about hugs and saying things like "can't we all just get along?" in order to browbeat us into submission and meekly accepting whatever drek they try to cram down our throats. I think whateverman and those like him would condemn Jesus as acting in an unchristlike manner

1. Paul also called someone (Elymas the magician) "You son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, full of all deceit and villainy" as recorded in Acts 13:10. Should he have hugged him and been cautious of hurting his feelings instead?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There's that picture again.
                            And he's looking directly at you when he gave "that look"

Comment

[indent]And often the insults were much more subtle (at least to us in the 21st century) but just as telling. For instance in Matt. 12:5 when Christ asks the Pharisees "Or have you not read in the Law..." this was a very serious slap in the face. The Pharisees spent a great deal of their time reading and studying the Law so to ask them "have you not read" was akin to calling them morons and imbeciles for being incapable of understanding what they read.
                              [indent]
                              I'm neither satisfied that this is as bad as some consider it, nor that it isn't. To date there just isn't enough data to make the call.

But atheists want us to believe that Jesus was all about hugs and saying things like "can't we all just get along?" in order to browbeat us into submission and meekly accepting whatever drek they try to cram down our throats. I think whateverman and those like him would condemn Jesus as acting in an unchristlike manner.
                              Stories like this don't originate with atheists. (to employ a sweeping generalisation)
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I'm neither satisfied that this is as bad as some consider it, nor that it isn't. To date there just isn't enough data to make the call.
                                From everything I've read, this was a verbal slap in the face.

Stories like this don't originate with atheists. (to employ a sweeping generalisation)
                                The post dealt with a specific example

Comment