Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians and the use of sarcasm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

The post dealt with a specific example
    As in?

But atheists want us to believe that Jesus was all about hugs and saying things like "can't we all just get along?" in order to browbeat us into submission and meekly accepting whatever drek they try to cram down our throats.
    I was referring to that one - it's a 1960s (I think) story invented to "counter" criticisms from outside the church, but it was developed by theolagicians.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      And then there's this delightful site.
      I clicked the button for "Insult me again" and got this gem.

"I was frightened and thought I was dreaming, it was such a thunderclap, such a great horrid fart did you let go here! You certainly pressed with great might to let out such a thunderous fart - it is a wonder that it did not tear your hole and belly apart!"

From Against the Roman Papacy, an Institution of the Devil, pg. 344 of Luther's Works, Vol. 41

Have to admit I have had some that sound like his description come from me.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        As in?
        Time to go on an adventure. Click the blue arrow next to my name on that post.

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        I was referring to that one - it's a 1960s (I think) story invented to "counter" criticisms from outside the church, but it was developed by theolagicians.
        Blasted theolagicians smiley fist shake.gif

It is not uncommon to also see it expressed by atheists here

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Time to go on an adventure. Click the blue arrow next to my name on that post.

Blasted theolagicians smiley fist shake.gif

It is not uncommon to also see it expressed by atheists here
          Yup - the process is very much like a feedback loop with microphones and speakers - and the sound is just as unpleasant.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Like a lot of communication techniques, I find it to be most effective if used somewhat sparingly, because it heightens the effect if somewhat unexpected. (I feel the same way about strong language, like when Paul used that word that gets translated as "dung" but is really stronger; it probably wasn't "profanity" per se, but you get my point ).
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              Like a lot of communication techniques, I find it to be most effective if used somewhat sparingly, because it heightens the effect if somewhat unexpected. (I feel the same way about strong language, like when Paul used that word that gets translated as "dung" but is really stronger; it probably wasn't "profanity" per se, but you get my point ).
              The "Sarcastaball" and "It Hits the Fan" episodes of "South Park" make those points about sarcasm and "curse words" respectively.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Yeah, I know someone who cusses pretty much every other word at times(a military guy) a lot of the time. When people who know him hear him cuss they don't bat an eye because it is "normal". On the other end of the scale you have someone like me who doesn't really cuss, and is very calm most of the time. According to some friends recently they said that me yelling at someone, regardless of words, is the equivalent of cussing for me. I think they would believe the world was ending if I cussed in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Yeah, I know someone who cusses pretty much every other word at times(a military guy) a lot of the time. When people who know him hear him cuss they don't bat an eye because it is "normal". On the other end of the scale you have someone like me who doesn't really cuss, and is very calm most of the time. According to some friends recently they said that me yelling at someone, regardless of words, is the equivalent of cussing for me. I think they would believe the world was ending if I cussed in front of them.
                  About 15 years ago I was working for a company when something fell on my foot. I let out a few expletives. My boss looked at me funny and said that in two years he never once heard me cuss -- but when I do I was very creative

Since then I worked at two jobs where if I literally didn't cuss at the workers they didn't take what you said seriously. I'm not kidding. They wouldn't do anything unless you started yelling and cussing at them to get to work.

As a result I became comfortable with swearing again and that is not a good thing. Now I have to make an effort to not swear in a normal conversation, and if I'm comfortable being around you I tend to relax and slip.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

About 15 years ago I was working for a company when something fell on my foot. I let out a few expletives. My boss looked at me funny and said that in two years he never once heard me cuss -- but when I do I was very creative

Since then I worked at two jobs where if I literally didn't cuss at the workers they didn't take what you said seriously. I'm not kidding. They wouldn't do anything unless you started yelling and cussing at them to get to work.

As a result I became comfortable with swearing again and that is not a good thing. Now I have to make an effort to not swear in a normal conversation, and if I'm comfortable being around you I tend to relax and slip.
                    You remind me of the Great Welsh Revival, where many of the coal miners got saved, and the only language their mules understood was cursing and vulgarity. They had to retrain the mules to understand their 'reformed' vocabulary.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You remind me of the Great Welsh Revival, where many of the coal miners got saved, and the only language their mules understood was cursing and vulgarity. They had to retrain the mules to understand their 'reformed' vocabulary.

The problem is that I can be more stubborn than a mule if given a reason to be.

Comment

The problem is that I can be more stubborn than a mule if given a reason to be.
                        I have always been impressed with "men of power" who manage to command with quiet simple instruction.

Admiral Chester Nimitz was such a man. There's a museum in his honor at Fredericksburg, Texas, and you can watch video of him commanding his men.

He just seemed to have a "command presence" that made people want to follow his soft-spoken orders.

My Deputy friend, PJ (for whom I performed the funeral last week) was such a man. He could walk into a jail quad where prisoners were rioting, and within just a few minutes of quiet speaking, calm would break out.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I can remember one of the few times I cussed. The people there were shocked, and completely speechless as a response. As much as I did not want to say those terms, I think it was necessary in that case. On the upside to the unfortunate event, people finally shut up long enough for me to say what needed to be said.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I can remember one of the few times I cussed. The people there were shocked, and completely speechless as a response. As much as I did not want to say those terms, I think it was necessary in that case. On the upside to the unfortunate event, people finally shut up long enough for me to say what needed to be said.
                            Probably not as shocked as the congregation who heard their pastor say from the pulpit on a Sunday Morning.....

I want to make two statements this morning of utmost importance.

Number one - Millions of people all over the world are dying and going to hell and most of you don't give a damn.

After the gasping and pearl clutching....

Number two - MOST of you are more concerned about the fact that I said "damn" than that millions of people are dying and going to hell.

Comment

Probably not as shocked as the congregation who heard their pastor say from the pulpit on a Sunday Morning.....

I want to make two statements this morning of utmost importance.

Number one - Millions of people all over the world are dying and going to hell and most of you don't give a damn.

After the gasping and pearl clutching....

Number two - MOST of you are more concerned about the fact that I said "damn" than that millions of people are dying and going to hell.
                              Filed
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I have always been impressed with "men of power" who manage to command with quiet simple instruction.

Admiral Chester Nimitz was such a man. There's a museum in his honor at Fredericksburg, Texas, and you can watch video of him commanding his men.

He just seemed to have a "command presence" that made people want to follow his soft-spoken orders.

My Deputy friend, PJ (for whom I performed the funeral last week) was such a man. He could walk into a jail quad where prisoners were rioting, and within just a few minutes of quiet speaking, calm would break out.
                                This never was an issue before. As I said, at a previous job it was over two years before I cussed, and that due to sudden pain. But the last two places... Horrible analogy, but have you ever seen a dog ignore someone who told them to get off the couch because they were asking the dog to do it. Virtually begging the dog to get down. You could hear in the tone of their voice. But when you really told them "Get down!" -- dare I say barked it out -- they immediately get down.

It was like that. Only when you were telling them to get back to %$#%@ work you %#$@%#s that they would respond. I thought it was a culture that the first business had allowed to exist as being responsible, but when I went elsewhere, and I ran into a very similar situation (but less so since the workers were a bit older), i have to wonder.

Comment