Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Justice - Mercy - Grace - Fairness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    I'm still mulling this over myself. Seems to me it is not so much the sacrifice itself, but the submission to the Father's will that is the decider. Just why either Adam's sin or Christ's righteousness should have a flow-on effect isn't clear. However, Christ's sacrifice doesn't seem to deal directly with sin: insofar as I can see - Christ's death is a triumph over death-caused-by-sin. As per Hebrews 2:14-15
    OK, you're starting to lose me. Christ's death on the Cross was the very picture of the Passover. In fact, he "repurposed" the "Last Supper" (Passover) by taking the third cup of wine - the glass of redemption - and saying "this cup is the New Testament in my blood"....

Unlike the Day of Atonement in prior years (before the Last Supper), the sins of the people were, essentially, "rolled over" into the new year, requiring yet another "day of atonement", on and on and on (besides the daily offerings). Hebrews makes it clear that this Great High Priest makes the sacrifice once and for all forever.

Christ became our Sin Offering, once and for all, for us to accept or reject.

But I think we're getting away from the basic principles of Justice, Mercy and Grace -- and Impartiality.

I'm told that the Jews (sometime BCE) had this idea that a single righteous act could save as readily as a single wrongful act could condemn.
    They had a lot of nutty ideas.

The pieces are there, but the jigsaw isn't coming together to form a complete picture.
    And the picture won't be complete til we stand with Christ in His Kingdom.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

OK, you're starting to lose me. Christ's death on the Cross was the very picture of the Passover. In fact, he "repurposed" the "Last Supper" (Passover) by taking the third cup of wine - the glass of redemption - and saying "this cup is the New Testament in my blood"....
      OK - I'll pick it up on another thread. Not today though, I have to finish an essay that was due on Friday.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

r
        Originally posted by tabibito View Post

OK - I'll pick it up on another thread. Not today though, I have to finish an essay that was due on Friday.
        You're good! I enjoy your input. I just wasn't thinking this thread would get really deep - just some observations.

But, it's not like you're trying to start a fight or anything. ARE YOU?!?!?!?!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I like how you worded that "bumper sticker phrase" --- I usually see it as "God said it, I believe it, that settles it". Truth is, it doesn't matter whether you believe it or not, it's still settled!

And I don't worry a whole lot about the Law, because, if I allow the Holy Spirit to guide me, I'll be OK with regards to the Law.

That's a bigger problem, because man can come up with some pretty dumb - even anti-Christian - laws. That's a whole 'nuther can of worms.

Often, when people "march for justice", what they really want is vengeance or payback. As for the racial part - I think we can go back to MLK --- who wanted his children to be known "for the content of their character, not for the color of their skin".
          Thanks.

So if I'm following you correctly: the law is how we say we'll run our society and justice is how we apply the law to society. Justice implies that the law is applied equally and fairly.

I agree that many people who march for justice have no idea of what they are marching to achieve. As I learned at work, a goal you can't measure is no goal at all. On the other hand, the marchers usually have experienced injustice in their lives so I'm not going to say all are motivated by vengeance or payback. It's like any large group - lots of different motivations have brought the people together and stereotyping them doesn't help us reach a solution.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Thanks.

So if I'm following you correctly: the law is how we say we'll run our society and justice is how we apply the law to society. Justice implies that the law is applied equally and fairly.

I agree that many people who march for justice have no idea of what they are marching to achieve. As I learned at work, a goal you can't measure is no goal at all. On the other hand, the marchers usually have experienced injustice in their lives so I'm not going to say all are motivated by vengeance or payback. It's like any large group - lots of different motivations have brought the people together and stereotyping them doesn't help us reach a solution.
            Laws are the fence, the boundary of acceptable behavior. Human law can be good or bad. In the case of God's Law, it defines moral behavior. Justice is about enforcing morality. Rewarding those who are moral and punishing those who are immoral. And doing so fairly.

Comment

Thanks.

God's law is black and white, and does not change.
              Man's law is black and white, but is subject to change without notice.

Justice is the GOAL of administering the law, but there are way to many cases of misadministration of the law, which is NOT Justice.
              Deuteronomy and Leviticus are filled with warnings to judge without partiality.

Yes, people "demanding justice" are often demanding retaliation, punishment, revenge, etc.... And when a "just" verdict is delivered, they will often riot or revolt or refuse to accept it because it didn't satisfy their desire for revenge or punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Laws are the fence, the boundary of acceptable behavior. Human law can be good or bad. In the case of God's Law, it defines moral behavior. Justice is about enforcing morality. Rewarding those who are moral and punishing those who are immoral. And doing so fairly.
                In the same manner that football has rules ("the law"),
                and the referees are there to enforce those rules (administer justice),
                and, hopefully, to apply them equally to both teams (often does not work out that way).

Comment

In the same manner that football has rules ("the law"),
                  and the referees are there to enforce those rules (administer justice),
                  and, hopefully, to apply them equally to both teams (often does not work out that way).
                  except in the case of human laws. we can have bad ones and then justice ISN'T enforcing them. That's why I made the distinction above that Justice is about enforcing morality rather than merely rules/laws. Enforcing a bad law isn't fair or just.

Comment

except in the case of human laws. we can have bad ones and then justice ISN'T enforcing them. That's why I made the distinction above that Justice is about enforcing morality rather than merely rules/laws. Enforcing a bad law isn't fair or just.
                    Yes, the football one would clearly be an example of human laws, with humans making those laws.

God's laws are about morality, yes. But, then again, look at the Taliban, who believe they are "enforcing morality" with their severe punishments and killings.
                    Such was clearly spoken against in Deuteronomy and Leviticus (about which they obviously do not care)

Comment

Yes, the football one would clearly be an example of human laws, with humans making those laws.

God's laws are about morality, yes. But, then again, look at the Taliban, who believe they are "enforcing morality" with their severe punishments and killings.
                      Such was clearly spoken against in Deuteronomy and Leviticus (about which they obviously do not care)
                      good point. In the minds of evil people I guess "morality" isn't the same thing as we think.

Comment

Good point. In the minds of evil people I guess "morality" isn't the same thing as we think.
                        Which is why, I believe, there is so much in the OT about judging without partiality, and James 2 goes into that. It's not just "bad form" -- it's sin.

Comment

This has been an interesting and informative conversation so let's continue.

First God's Law and Justice is given to us and ultimately enforced by God. Now I don't think anybody on this thread believes we perfectly follow God's Law. So we don't appeal to God's Law to make us right before God. We appeal to God's Mercy for forgiveness for breaking His Law. He can provide mercy because the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross satisfies the requirements of the Law.

Going back to CowPoke's schoolmaster comment (post #12), the Law stands to show us how unworthy we are before God. It teaches us that we need Jesus to be able to stand rightly before God. The more I understand how much I have failed the Law's standard, the more I understand how I need God's mercy. It's a humbling experience.

Now man's law exists because we are in rebellion against God. I suggest that man's law won't need to exist if man was sinless. I'm having trouble coming up with a situation that isn't covered under God's law. The problem with man's laws is that they can get too specific. We've seen the lists of "silly" laws still on the books. A few times I've read about people being prosecuted under a really old law that hasn't been enforced in years but the prosecutor really wanted to get them. Of course we've also seen crimes and look at the punishment given out and think that's all? For example after seeing reports on Bernie Madoff, I think he should have gotten the death penalty for all the damage he did to people's lives. Getting justice under man's law seems a real roll of the dice.

This does bring us into another aspect of law/justice/mercy - punishment. How does punishment fit in with law and justice. I thinking primarily under man's law but your welcome to talk about under God's law. I'm still sorting it through so I'll let you talk about it now...
                          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

This has been an interesting and informative conversation so let's continue.

First God's Law and Justice is given to us and ultimately enforced by God. Now I don't think anybody on this thread believes we perfectly follow God's Law. So we don't appeal to God's Law to make us right before God. We appeal to God's Mercy for forgiveness for breaking His Law. He can provide mercy because the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross satisfies the requirements of the Law.

Going back to CowPoke's schoolmaster comment (post #12), the Law stands to show us how unworthy we are before God. It teaches us that we need Jesus to be able to stand rightly before God. The more I understand how much I have failed the Law's standard, the more I understand how I need God's mercy. It's a humbling experience.
                            And most scholars agree that the "schoolmaster" in Galatians 3:24 is not a "schoomaster" in the sense that we think of a principal or head teacher, but a paidagōgos, or a "pedagogue", which was typically a slave in Greek families who was reponsibile to get small children to school, and to serve as a tutor to them, helping them with morals and discipline.

Now man's law exists because we are in rebellion against God. I suggest that man's law won't need to exist if man was sinless. I'm having trouble coming up with a situation that isn't covered under God's law. The problem with man's laws is that they can get too specific.
                            Man's laws are subject to change, subject to majority rule, subject to adjust with a changing culture.
                            God's laws don't change - they are built on principals, not circumstances.

We've seen the lists of "silly" laws still on the books. A few times I've read about people being prosecuted under a really old law that hasn't been enforced in years but the prosecutor really wanted to get them. Of course we've also seen crimes and look at the punishment given out and think that's all? For example after seeing reports on Bernie Madoff, I think he should have gotten the death penalty for all the damage he did to people's lives. Getting justice under man's law seems a real roll of the dice.

This does bring us into another aspect of law/justice/mercy - punishment. How does punishment fit in with law and justice. I thinking primarily under man's law but your welcome to talk about under God's law. I'm still sorting it through so I'll let you talk about it now...
                            Good discussion, TM.

Lemme think on punishment, and respond after my coffee. It was a very late night last night.

Comment

Just tossing some ideas out to get feedback and even testimonies or personal experiences...

I've often taught (not original to me) that...

Fairness is so subjective
                              • "fair to whom?"
                              • (Let's just scrap this one)
                              Justice - getting ALL we deserve.
                              • When somebody does something to one of our children, we demand JUSTICE!!!!
                              Mercy - NOT getting all we deserve.
                              • When we do something that gets us in trouble, we want MERCY!!!!
                              Grace - Getting what I do NOT deserve
                              • Justice, because I'm a sinner, would have me spend an eternity in Hell
                              • Mercy, by Christ's substitutionary death, keeps me from Hell
                              • Grace, God's Grace, allows me to spend eternity in Heaven with Him
                              And then there will be some examples...
                              In one sense, fairness is subjective. But not in others. Some distinctions need to be made.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
                                In one sense, fairness is subjective. But not in others. Some distinctions need to be made.
                                Yes.

Comment