Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Justice - Mercy - Grace - Fairness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justice - Mercy - Grace - Fairness

Just tossing some ideas out to get feedback and even testimonies or personal experiences...

I've often taught (not original to me) that...

Fairness is so subjective
    • "fair to whom?"
    • (Let's just scrap this one)
    Justice - getting ALL we deserve.
    • When somebody does something to one of our children, we demand JUSTICE!!!!
    Mercy - NOT getting all we deserve.
    • When we do something that gets us in trouble, we want MERCY!!!!
    Grace - Getting what I do NOT deserve
    • Justice, because I'm a sinner, would have me spend an eternity in Hell
    • Mercy, by Christ's substitutionary death, keeps me from Hell
    • Grace, God's Grace, allows me to spend eternity in Heaven with Him
    And then there will be some examples...
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Two initial thoughts:

I long ago ceased to expect life to be fair.

Justice and the Law are not the same thing. I think this is why Jesus chastised the Pharisees for neglecting the weightier matters of the Law and Justice. (Matthew 23:23)
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      Two initial thoughts:

I long ago ceased to expect life to be fair.

Justice and the Law are not the same thing. I think this is why Jesus chastised the Pharisees for neglecting the weightier matters of the Law and Justice. (Matthew 23:23)
      Good thoughts, TM.

When I taught Junior High way back in my younger days, I would, at the very beginning of class on the first day of school, write my name in big block letters.
      Then, underneath my name, I would write, and TRIPLE UNDERLINE, "I'm Not FAIR".

Subsequently, when a student would accuse me of not being fair, I'd point to the board.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I would tell my kids when they were growing up (supposedly) that I treated them all equally unfair.
        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
          I would tell my kids when they were growing up (supposedly) that I treated them all equally unfair.

One of my best examples while teaching a class.....

Student A: Mr Cow Poke, may I please sharpen my pencil?
          Cow Poke: Absolutely.

Student B: I'm gonna sharpen mine, too!
          Cow Poke: No, sit down.
          Student B: That's not FAIR, you let HER sharpen HER pencil!

Cow Poke:
          A) (pointing to chalk board) I already told you I'm not fair!
          2) "She" actually asked politely.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Just tossing some ideas out to get feedback and even testimonies or personal experiences...

I've often taught (not original to me) that...

Fairness is so subjective
            • "fair to whom?"
            • (Let's just scrap this one)
            Justice - getting ALL we deserve.
            • When somebody does something to one of our children, we demand JUSTICE!!!!
            Mercy - NOT getting all we deserve.
            • When we do something that gets us in trouble, we want MERCY!!!!
            Grace - Getting what I do NOT deserve
            • Justice, because I'm a sinner, would have me spend an eternity in Hell
            • Mercy, by Christ's substitutionary death, keeps me from Hell
            • Grace, God's Grace, allows me to spend eternity in Heaven with Him
            And then there will be some examples...
            In your list, Justice is the hard one. Your definition for me fits better with the Law. The Law would say I deserve prison for stealing bread. Justice would more say since you stole the bread because you were hungry, go in peace. Justice seems more to be the Law applied with Mercy and Grace.

I've always struggled with Justice. Maybe I'm making it too complicated. Justice seems to consider the whole situation not just the deed. Biblically speaking, I would say Jesus practiced Justice with the woman taken in adultrey since He spared her the consequences of the Law and gave her accusers something to think about.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

In your list, Justice is the hard one. Your definition for me fits better with the Law. The Law would say I deserve prison for stealing bread. Justice would more say since you stole the bread because you were hungry, go in peace. Justice seems more to be the Law applied with Mercy and Grace.

I've always struggled with Justice. Maybe I'm making it too complicated. Justice seems to consider the whole situation not just the deed. Biblically speaking, I would say Jesus practiced Justice with the woman taken in adultrey since He spared her the consequences of the Law and gave her accusers something to think about.
              It's very much like a case where a teenager comes before a judge for stealing a car. The car was returned undamaged, but there was no doubt he stole it.
              The kid had been abaoned by his family and was living with a friend of bad reputation, with little adult supervision.

The Judge (juvenile court wavied a jury) found the boy guilty as charged. That was justice.
              Then the judge declared that, since this was the boy's first offense, and the boy seemed truly remorseful, there would be no penalty. That's mercy.
              Then the judge, knowing the boy had been abandoned by his own family, invited the boy to come home and live with him and his wife. That's grace.

Comment

It's very much like a case where a teenager comes before a judge for stealing a car. The car was returned undamaged, but there was no doubt he stole it.
                The kid had been abaoned by his family and was living with a friend of bad reputation, with little adult supervision.

The Judge (juvenile court wavied a jury) found the boy guilty as charged. That was justice.
                Then the judge declared that, since this was the boy's first offense, and the boy seemed truly remorseful, there would be no penalty. That's mercy.
                Then the judge, knowing the boy had been abandoned by his own family, invited the boy to come home and live with him and his wife. That's grace.
                What is the difference between Law and Justice, then? I don't think of Law and Justice as synonyms.

Comment

What is the difference between Law and Justice, then? I don't think of Law and Justice as synonyms.
                  A discussion worth having, but first....

God's Law?
                  Man's law?

Comment

Maybe replace "fairness" with impartiality. I think that is an important trait too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                      Maybe replace "fairness" with impartiality. I think that is an important trait too.
                      EGGcellent suggestion, as James 2 makes clear, among other references.

Comment

I would agree, because Justice would refer to how the law is carried out.

Then there's the whole "the law is the schoolmaster that brings us to Christ" thing.

Comment

A discussion worth having, but first....
                          God's Law?
                          Man's law?
                          Under God's law we all know we fall short. We don't (or shouldn't anyways) appeal to God's law for our salvation. We appeal to His mercy and the sacrifice of Jesus to make us right with God. Frankly there are days I don't understand exactly how it works that Jesus' death on the cross squares my sin with God but to use a trite phrase, "the Bible says it and that settles it for me." I have no real need to explore God's Law at this time.

So under man's law, how does justice fit in? Also for example, when people march for racial justice, what exactly would be justice for them? It seems broader than just a legal solution.

Comment

Under God's law we all know we fall short. We don't (or shouldn't anyways) appeal to God's law for our salvation. We appeal to His mercy and the sacrifice of Jesus to make us right with God. Frankly there are days I don't understand exactly how it works that Jesus' death on the cross squares my sin with God but to use a trite phrase, "the Bible says it and that settles it for me." I have no real need to explore God's Law at this time.
                            I like how you worded that "bumper sticker phrase" --- I usually see it as "God said it, I believe it, that settles it". Truth is, it doesn't matter whether you believe it or not, it's still settled!

And I don't worry a whole lot about the Law, because, if I allow the Holy Spirit to guide me, I'll be OK with regards to the Law.

So under man's law, how does justice fit in?
                            That's a bigger problem, because man can come up with some pretty dumb - even anti-Christian - laws. That's a whole 'nuther can of worms.

Also for example, when people march for racial justice, what exactly would be justice for them? It seems broader than just a legal solution.
                            Often, when people "march for justice", what they really want is vengeance or payback. As for the racial part - I think we can go back to MLK --- who wanted his children to be known "for the content of their character, not for the color of their skin".

Comment

I'm still mulling this over myself. Seems to me it is not so much the sacrifice itself, but the submission to the Father's will that is the decider. Just why either Adam's sin or Christ's righteousness should have a flow-on effect isn't clear. However, Christ's sacrifice doesn't seem to deal directly with sin: insofar as I can see - Christ's death is a triumph over death-caused-by-sin. As per Hebrews 2:14-15

I'm told that the Jews (sometime BCE) had this idea that a single righteous act could save as readily as a single wrongful act could condemn.

The pieces are there, but the jigsaw isn't coming together to form a complete picture.
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment