Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

‘Theology Matters’—Why One Worship Leader Can No Longer Support Hillsong...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Some day! I'm ready.
    But ... will we still have
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Meh... I don't really see that in "You didn’t want heaven without us, so Jesus you brought heaven down” - it's not just the statement, but the rationale.
      Well, it seems a rather informal way to put it, but I recall the idea from way back that God created us for fellowship with Him. Not sure how that gets supported exegetically, but it's something I learned as a boy.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Well, it seems a rather informal way to put it, but I recall the idea from way back that God created us for fellowship with Him. Not sure how that gets supported exegetically, but it's something I learned as a boy.
        Yeah, I don't want to get bogged down in this one particular phrase - I just thought it sounded odd, or was misapplied, or whatver.

You, sir, are a venerable fountain of information.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          When it comes to creation, I have found it interesting that while the Bible says God did it, the Bible doesn't explain God's reasons for creation.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

When it comes to creation, I have found it interesting that while the Bible says God did it, the Bible doesn't explain God's reasons for creation.
            Maybe it just seemed like a good idea at the time.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

And, actually, Jesus is God's agent of creation, so it's even more interesting.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And, actually, Jesus is God's agent of creation, so it's even more interesting.
                Can someone really be considered his own agent?

Rats! My forthcoming sleepless night is all your fault.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Can someone really be considered his own agent?

Rats! My forthcoming sleepless night is all your fault.
                  Yeah, I try not to delve too deeply into that cause it makes my head hurt.

Comment

A couple of translations of Revelation 4:11 indicate that He created "for thy pleasure" and Colossians 1:16 confirms that "All things were created by him and for him"

Then, since it is AFAICT universally believed that God does everything with a purpose in mind, from what Paul says in I Corinthians 10:31, "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" it appears that is our purpose.

Now as to what we can conclude from this...

I guess we were created to give glory to God and I guess we needed a place to live...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      A couple of translations of Revelation 4:11 indicate that He created "for thy pleasure" and Colossians 1:16 confirms that "All things were created by him and for him"

Then, since it is AFAICT universally believed that God does everything with a purpose in mind, from what Paul says in I Corinthians 10:31, "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" it appears that is our purpose.

Now as to what we can conclude from this...

I guess we were created to give glory to God and I guess we needed a place to live...
                      The best explanation I have found - Love forces the one who loves to reach out for others.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

No.

I love, brother, but no.
                        Well, I would say the presence of the kingdom of heaven implies the presence of heaven in some sense.

"O brethren, be great believers! Little faith will bring your souls to heaven, but great faith will bring heaven to your souls." (Spurgeon)

And I find some hymns to be lacking in their theology, Spurgeon's favorite hymn for instance, "There Is A Fountain Filled With Blood", but where is that in Scripture? We are sprinkled with Jesus' blood (1 Peter 1:2), but not "Washed in the Blood". And "Rock of Ages, Cleft for Me", a beautiful picture, but not, I think, to be found in Scripture. Nor "Let the water and the blood, from Thy wounded side which flowed, be of sin the double cure", the water of the Word washes us, but the water from Jesus' side is not said to have power over sin.

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

There are a number of verses referring to God as our Rock, and Jesus as the Cornerstone, the Rock of our Salvation.

Psalm 18:2

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Psalm 78:35

And they remembered that God was their rock,
                          And the Most High God their Redeemer.

And there are dozens more if you do a search.

Some hymns use figurative and poetic language. Doesn't mean they aren't based on the truths of scripture.

Sometimes it's important to look into the background of some of our hymns. Rock of Ages by Augustus Toplady was written after he was caught in a storm walking in a gorge near Cheddar in England. We have 3 books that we use that give us the history of many of our hymns, and we learned about Toplady and this song when my husband and I were travelling through the Cheddar area on a tour of England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_o...Christian_hymn)

"Rock of Ages" is a popular Christian hymn written by the Reformed Anglican minister, the Reverend Augustus Toplady, in 1763 and first published in The Gospel Magazine in 1775.

Traditionally, it is held that Toplady drew his inspiration from an incident in the gorge of Burrington Combe in the Mendip Hills in England. Toplady, a preacher in the nearby village of Blagdon, was travelling along the gorge when he was caught in a storm. Finding shelter in a gap in the gorge, he was struck by the title and scribbled down the initial lyrics.

The fissure that is believed to have sheltered Toplady (51.3254°N 2.7532°W) is now marked as the "Rock of Ages", both on the rock itself and on some maps,and is also reflected in the name of a nearby tea shop. The German translation is called "Fels des Heils".

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

There are a number of verses referring to God as our Rock, and Jesus as the Cornerstone, the Rock of our Salvation.

Psalm 18:2

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Psalm 78:35

And they remembered that God was their rock,
                            And the Most High God their Redeemer.

And there are dozens more if you do a search.

Some hymns use figurative and poetic language. Doesn't mean they aren't based on the truths of scripture.

Sometimes it's important to look into the background of some of our hymns. Rock of Ages by Augustus Toplady was written after he was caught in a storm walking in a gorge near Cheddar in England. We have 3 books that we use that give us the history of many of our hymns, and we learned about Toplady and this song when my husband and I were travelling through the Cheddar area on a tour of England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_o...Christian_hymn)

"Rock of Ages" is a popular Christian hymn written by the Reformed Anglican minister, the Reverend Augustus Toplady, in 1763 and first published in The Gospel Magazine in 1775.

Traditionally, it is held that Toplady drew his inspiration from an incident in the gorge of Burrington Combe in the Mendip Hills in England. Toplady, a preacher in the nearby village of Blagdon, was travelling along the gorge when he was caught in a storm. Finding shelter in a gap in the gorge, he was struck by the title and scribbled down the initial lyrics.

The fissure that is believed to have sheltered Toplady (51.3254°N 2.7532°W) is now marked as the "Rock of Ages", both on the rock itself and on some maps,and is also reflected in the name of a nearby tea shop. The German translation is called "Fels des Heils".
                            There is also, right after laying out the Golden Rule, noting that the way is narrow and providing a warning about false prophets, this from Jesus:

Scripture Verse: Matthew 7:24-27

24“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. 26 And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.”

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              Yes, but I was referring to the phrase "cleft for me", I don't think that analogy is found in Scripture.

Well, I think there are some hymn lyrics that are decidedly unscriptural, such as washing in a fountain of blood.

Sometimes it's important to look into the background of some of our hymns.
                              Yes, that can be helpful, I do like learning about hymns, I've done some hymn arrangements, even, notably Rock of Ages being one of them.

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              Last edited by lee_merrill; 07-23-2021, 04:05 PM.
                              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                                Yes, but I was referring to the phrase "cleft for me", I don't think that analogy is found in Scripture.

Blessings,
                                Lee
                                I think that's a reference to when Moses hit the rock to get water for the Israelities.
                                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment