Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

‘Theology Matters’—Why One Worship Leader Can No Longer Support Hillsong...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Theology Matters’—Why One Worship Leader Can No Longer Support Hillsong...

‘Theology Matters’—Why One Worship Leader Can No Longer Support Hillsong, Elevation, Bethel

I'm still reading up on this, but wondered if anybody else had seen others mention Hillsong and Elevation in this way.

A July 12 Facebook post about “false teachings” in some popular Christian music is striking a chord. The statement by Tennessee recording artist and worship leader Mackenzie Morgan, who says she can no longer “stay silent” about heretical lyrics, already has more than 7,000 likes.

After lots of studying, Morgan writes, she “was met with a terrible feeling of grief and sadness for what I was supporting”—specifically naming Hillsong, Elevation and Bethel Music. “Maybe it’s time we start looking at the Scriptures to see what God truly calls for in worship and get over what we want,” she adds.

Mackenzie Morgan: Why Pay for Falsehoods?

Although Morgan says the problems with some modern worship music are “too numerous” for her post, she elaborates on “churches such as Elevation and the teachings of Steve Furtick,” pointing to “his belief in modalism, which is…heresy.” She adds, “As for Bethel, that one should be pretty obvious.”

Elevation, a North Carolina megachurch, is organized around a vision that founder Furtick says he received from God. California-based Bethel Church has been controversial partly because of its focus on supernatural ministry. Hillsong, a global megachurch based out of Australia has faced controversy in recent months most famously for Hillsong East Coast’s pastor Carl Lentz‘s firing due to infidelity, but also for alleged spiritual abuse and for promoting a celebrity culture. Former Hillsong Dallas pastors Jess and Reed Bogard have been accused of mishandling church funds, and Hillsong has launched an investigation into allegations of financial abuse that have been levied at the church as a whole.

“Theology matters,” Morgan writes. “I can’t even stress that enough. It matters if a song is weak in theology and is not accurately displaying the Holiness of our God. It matters if churches are spreading a prosperity Gospel that is different from the Gospel found in Scripture. It MATTERS that each Sunday churches pay royalties to these churches in order to be able to sing their music, furthering [their] outreach and their false gospel message.”

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

[“Theology matters,” Morgan writes. “I can’t even stress that enough. It matters if a song is weak in theology and is not accurately displaying the Holiness of our God. It matters if churches are spreading a prosperity Gospel that is different from the Gospel found in Scripture. It MATTERS that each Sunday churches pay royalties to these churches in order to be able to sing their music, furthering [their] outreach and their false gospel message.”
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

We call it Hellsong. And Beth-hell.

When there is a dearth of sound teaching about the character of God, the music reflects it. People who have no grounding can't handle depth of theology in songs.

Stephen Furtick has claimed to be God Almighty in one of his recent "sermons".

And for fear of causing trouble, Justin Peters, Costi Hinn, Chris Rosebrough (Pirate Christian Radio), The Freakishly Tall Todd Friel (Wretched Radio), and, how horrible, John MacArthur, have been very outspoken about this kind of music, not to mention the false teaching.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I have lheard ess than wonderful things about Hillsong and Elevation for probably a year if not longer. For some reason, critiques have been showing up on my YouTube feed. The critiques generally agree with what Mossy posted.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          I have lheard ess than wonderful things about Hillsong and Elevation for probably a year if not longer. For some reason, critiques have been showing up on my YouTube feed. The critiques generally agree with what Mossy posted.
          The surprise for me is that some churches exist where it might be safe to mention the problem.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            Yeah, it seemed to be bubbling up as a thing before Covid, so maybe that's why I'm noticing it -- more churches are getting back into regular meeting, and it's becoming an issue again.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hopefully people are waking up to the bad theology behind the music and wanting something more in keeping with true worship. But I know there will be myriads who are led astray and will never be discerning enough to figure out the issues with it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                Hopefully people are waking up to the bad theology behind the music and wanting something more in keeping with true worship. But I know there will be myriads who are led astray and will never be discerning enough to figure out the issues with it.
                We have had 6 young families join our church in the last couple months -- they ALL make a point of the fact that they love that we do the old hymns, along with some of the stuff from the Modern Hymn Movement. (Another such young family will join this Sunday - music being an important factor)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

We have had 6 young families join our church in the last couple months -- they ALL make a point of the fact that they love that we do the old hymns, along with some of the stuff from the Modern Hymn Movement. (Another such young family will join this Sunday - music being an important factor)
                  I think that the covid lock downs were good for a few reasons, one of those being that the truly godly churches (like yours, and others I could name, even in my own province) have garnered people who have seen live streaming and recognized what may be lacking in the churches they were attending before.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I think that the covid lock downs were good for a few reasons, one of those being that the truly godly churches (like yours, and others I could name, even in my own province) have garnered people who have seen live streaming and recognized what may be lacking in the churches they were attending before.
                    The family that is joining this Sunday started coming to our Church because their own church went into lockdown. They had told me that, when their church reopens, they'll go back.

But when their church reopened - they were making everybody sign up ahead of time for one of 3 services, then you had to come into the foyer and wash your hands in front of somebody - and put on a new mask they provided, and sit 6 feet apart from anybody....

They said it was downright ridiculous, but when they talked to their pastor, he seemed to think they were handling things "just right".

We were also taking precautions, but we were never closed.

Comment

Because someone above mentioned the entire "style" of music as suspect, I want to clear one thing up: I dislike the music style of modern worship music. It attempts to mimic the style of what was popular in the 1970s... and from a pure musical perspective, does so very poorly. If you substituted the lyrics of modern worship songs for generic pop song lyrics, there would be no audience there, and the radio wouldn't play it. They're just not good.

I'm not the kind of person who thinks that it's inherently wrong to use any particular style of music, and I'm reluctant to criticize based on what is honestly just my subjective music preferences; it feels snobbish, and to import personal preferences over how other worship seems wrong. But I can't stand it myself.

So I stick to theology and there's generally quite a bit to criticize there.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The family that is joining this Sunday started coming to our Church because their own church went into lockdown. They had told me that, when their church reopens, they'll go back.

But when their church reopened - they were making everybody sign up ahead of time for one of 3 services, then you had to come into the foyer and wash your hands in front of somebody - and put on a new mask they provided, and sit 6 feet apart from anybody....

They said it was downright ridiculous, but when they talked to their pastor, he seemed to think they were handling things "just right".

We were also taking precautions, but we were never closed.
                        I commend you for not closing. And so thankful that you weren't arrested, as were some here. Whose congregations increased by large numbers while the pastors were in jail.

I remember a story that told of an occupying army somewhere entering a church and telling the people there that they were going to kill all the Christians, but anybody who wanted to leave could.

A lot of people left, and the soldiers locked the doors from the inside. Then they put down their weapons and said that they were also Christians and wanted to send the CINO's away so they wouldn't be betrayed to their leaders. I can't remember where this supposedly took place.

Persecution purifies the church.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          Because someone above mentioned the entire "style" of music as suspect, I want to clear one thing up: I dislike the music style of modern worship music. It attempts to mimic the style of what was popular in the 1970s... and from a pure musical perspective, does so very poorly. If you substituted the lyrics of modern worship songs for generic pop song lyrics, there would be no audience there, and the radio wouldn't play it. They're just not good.

I'm not the kind of person who thinks that it's inherently wrong to use any particular style of music, and I'm reluctant to criticize based on what is honestly just my subjective music preferences; it feels snobbish, and to import personal preferences over how other worship seems wrong. But I can't stand it myself.

I agree with you that the style of music doesn't really matter. It is the content of the lyrics that truly matters, and, in some respects, the way it is presented. I have nothing against a band or orchestra or an ensemble, but the raucous and, forgive me if this offends, the rock-style manner becomes more of a worldly entertainment that an opportunity to worship the character of God.

And, the emotional responses that are sought so hard are just wrong. When the words of a song speak more of how I feel about God instead of about who He is, there are massive issues.

Comment

‘Theology Matters’—Why One Worship Leader Can No Longer Support Hillsong, Elevation, Bethel

I'm still reading up on this, but wondered if anybody else had seen others mention Hillsong and Elevation in this way.

A July 12 Facebook post about “false teachings” in some popular Christian music is striking a chord. The statement by Tennessee recording artist and worship leader Mackenzie Morgan, who says she can no longer “stay silent” about heretical lyrics, already has more than 7,000 likes.

After lots of studying, Morgan writes, she “was met with a terrible feeling of grief and sadness for what I was supporting”—specifically naming Hillsong, Elevation and Bethel Music. “Maybe it’s time we start looking at the Scriptures to see what God truly calls for in worship and get over what we want,” she adds.

Mackenzie Morgan: Why Pay for Falsehoods?

Although Morgan says the problems with some modern worship music are “too numerous” for her post, she elaborates on “churches such as Elevation and the teachings of Steve Furtick,” pointing to “his belief in modalism, which is…heresy.” She adds, “As for Bethel, that one should be pretty obvious.”

Elevation, a North Carolina megachurch, is organized around a vision that founder Furtick says he received from God. California-based Bethel Church has been controversial partly because of its focus on supernatural ministry. Hillsong, a global megachurch based out of Australia has faced controversy in recent months most famously for Hillsong East Coast’s pastor Carl Lentz‘s firing due to infidelity, but also for alleged spiritual abuse and for promoting a celebrity culture. Former Hillsong Dallas pastors Jess and Reed Bogard have been accused of mishandling church funds, and Hillsong has launched an investigation into allegations of financial abuse that have been levied at the church as a whole.

“Theology matters,” Morgan writes. “I can’t even stress that enough. It matters if a song is weak in theology and is not accurately displaying the Holiness of our God. It matters if churches are spreading a prosperity Gospel that is different from the Gospel found in Scripture. It MATTERS that each Sunday churches pay royalties to these churches in order to be able to sing their music, furthering [their] outreach and their false gospel message.”

It's a shame that article didn't give -- or, AFAICT, even link to -- any specific examples of problematic lyrics.

Also, if you follow the "supernatural ministry" link, it's clear that this statement -- "California-based Bethel Church has been controversial partly because of its focus on supernatural ministry" -- is so misleading as to at least border on dishonesty.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

My preference is for Psa. 149-150 style praise and worship -- even though I have been rather accurately labeled as "phlegmatic" and "taciturn" as far as my IRL interactions are concerned.
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment