Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

‘Theology Matters’—Why One Worship Leader Can No Longer Support Hillsong...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I agree with you that the style of music doesn't really matter. It is the content of the lyrics that truly matters, and, in some respects, the way it is presented. I have nothing against a band or orchestra or an ensemble, but the raucous and, forgive me if this offends, the rock-style manner becomes more of a worldly entertainment that an opportunity to worship the character of God.

And, the emotional responses that are sought so hard are just wrong. When the words of a song speak more of how I feel about God instead of about who He is, there are massive issues.
    I think I'm more offended by the "Jesus is my girlfriend" tone of so much of the new stuff.

And style does matter -- we had a "sister church" that was African-American, and their style was way different from ours, but we loved each other and worked together.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think I'm more offended by the "Jesus is my girlfriend" tone of so much of the new stuff.
      Yuh. Icky-gooey yuck.

And style does matter -- we had a "sister church" that was African-American, and their style was way different from ours, but we loved each other and worked together.
      Please correct me if I am misunderstanding what you are saying here. I think you are saying that style, in this context, doesn't matter?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I agree with you that the style of music doesn't really matter. It is the content of the lyrics that truly matters, and, in some respects, the way it is presented. I have nothing against a band or orchestra or an ensemble, but the raucous and, forgive me if this offends, the rock-style manner becomes more of a worldly entertainment that an opportunity to worship the character of God.

And, the emotional responses that are sought so hard are just wrong. When the words of a song speak more of how I feel about God instead of about who He is, there are massive issues.
        I don't think this quite addresses why people have a problem with rock worship. African-American style gospel music is very upbeat, unquestionably entertaining (certainly more entertaining than modern rock worship), and presents emotional reactions. Some of its songs seem to have little to no theological content (i.e. Give Me That Old Time Religion has *no* theological content). Yet I have never heard anybody criticize or condemn the genre, though the same arguments would seem to hold.
        Last edited by KingsGambit; 07-16-2021, 10:17 PM.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

I don't think this quite addresses why people have a problem with rock worship. African-American style gospel music is very upbeat, unquestionably entertaining (certainly more entertaining than modern rock worship), and presents emotional reactions. Some of its songs seem to have little to no theological content (i.e. Give Me That Old Time Religion has *no* theological content). Yet I have never heard anybody criticize or condemn the genre, though the same arguments would seem to hold.
          I personally don’t like the genre. For all the reasons you’ve listed.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Because someone above mentioned the entire "style" of music as suspect, I want to clear one thing up: I dislike the music style of modern worship music. It attempts to mimic the style of what was popular in the 1970s... and from a pure musical perspective, does so very poorly. If you substituted the lyrics of modern worship songs for generic pop song lyrics, there would be no audience there, and the radio wouldn't play it. They're just not good.

I'm not the kind of person who thinks that it's inherently wrong to use any particular style of music, and I'm reluctant to criticize based on what is honestly just my subjective music preferences; it feels snobbish, and to import personal preferences over how other worship seems wrong. But I can't stand it myself.

So I stick to theology and there's generally quite a bit to criticize there.
            For years the biggest complaint about modern Christian music had nothing to do with the messages they conveyed, but rather (with a couple of exceptions) it was just terrible. In many cases it was obvious they had a formula and were trying to shoehorn the songs into it -- usually without much success.

Now the problem has morphed into something more serious.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'd lie to see those lyrics so we can play "spot the heresy".
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                It is a worthy thought.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I'm going to disagree partially here. The extent that emotional responses are sought is indeed an issue, but I see nothing wrong in principle with a song that deals with one's emotions towards God. Emotions are important, and neglecting them is problematic possibly as much as neglecting more objective issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                    This site lists a few.

http://pomomusings.com/2010/01/06/bad-praise-music/

Also

Crazy Beautiful by Chasen

Everybody’s been there everyone’s the same
                    but mostly we don’t care isn’t that a shame
                    We bring us down face after face
                    the inside is beautiful but the outside we want to change.
                    We want to change.
                    Whoa you’re oh so beautiful, you don’t need anyone’s approval
                    You’ve got to believe in your self you know you are
                    You’re crazy beautiful
                    Well every new year you say your gonna change
                    From the way you live to how much you weigh,
                    we don’t want to change.
                    You’re crazy beautiful
                    Take a look it’s all around you
                    See the world from different views
                    The way you shine from the inside
                    I know with out a doubt
                    It’s more than what you’ll be
                    In the world’s eyes.
                    Whoa you’re oh so beautiful, you don’t need anyone’s a approval

There are lots out there if you do a search.

Comment

This site lists a few.

Also

We want to change.
                      You’re crazy beautiful
                      we don’t want to change.
                      You’re crazy beautiful
                      I know with out a doubt
                      In the world’s eyes.
                      So - was the song written by a 1960s flower child? What does it have to do with the gospel?

But I'm afraid of finding more things like this.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I'm going to disagree partially here. The extent that emotional responses are sought is indeed an issue, but I see nothing wrong in principle with a song that deals with one's emotions towards God. Emotions are important, and neglecting them is problematic possibly as much as neglecting more objective issues.
                        Well, there's emotion, and then there's ecstatic frenzy. The latter is what I was referring to.

Comment

This site lists a few.

Also

We want to change.
                          You’re crazy beautiful
                          we don’t want to change.
                          You’re crazy beautiful
                          I know with out a doubt
                          In the world’s eyes.

My eyes glazed over a third of the way down while reading this pap.

Not to mention it sounds more like what you would hear coming from a drum circle than a church.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

So - was the song written by a 1960s flower child? What does it have to do with the gospel?
                            Exactly!

But I'm afraid of finding more things like this.

I was just giving cbw an example of the dross that’s out there. You don’t have to look if you don’t want to. I feel the same way about spiders.

Comment

I was just giving cbw an example of the dross that’s out there. You don’t have to look if you don’t want to. I feel the same way about spiders catfish.

FIFY cuz its troo

Comment

This is a pretty good article. I haven’t looked deeply into this guy’s theology but the article is on point.

https://pastorunlikely.com/worship-m...tered-worship/

1. Realize there is a difference between Christian music and Worship Music — I love a lot of the Christian music that is being played on the radio these days. It is great to listen to and there are some super talented people out there. It is not all appropriate for church though. I really enjoy the band NeedtoBreathe for example and they have some good themes to their music — but it is simply not worship music. If you have to try to struggle to see Jesus in a song, save it for outside of church. Pick music that is focused on God, not self and says good things about God.
                                2. When in doubt, sing Scripture – There are some great songs that have been written throughout church history that are taken directly from the Bible. If you are doubting the music that you have been singing, test them against the Bible and see if they hold up. If they are directly out of the Bible you can’t go wrong.
                                3. Pay attention to lyrics — Though there are some melodies that just move you and people may enjoy the uber-popular song of the time being played at church, make sure that the lyrics are focused on God and His glory. We take ownership of the music when we sing along, it is important that we know what we are singing and agree.
                                4. Ditch the angst — Our struggle is important to us and can be a part of the music, but if we are just singing about how lost we were it really does not amount to worship. Glorify God and then glorify God some more! I love songs that make me remember how lost I was, but they should never leave me there or wallow in the struggle. It is always about God’s glory.
                                5. Exalt the Lord — The attention of the song should be on God and how great He is – you may say the same thing in 10 different ways but sing about how great God is. If you want to add in the angst here about how much we stink as a point of comparison, that is fine, but don’t spend too much time there. It is about God and God alone.
                                6. Choose the style that works for you — I love Contemporary Christian music. I really dislike traditional Gospel for the most part. I like a lot of hymns. All are great ways to worship the Lord and unless we are singing in Psalms in Aramaic are not exactly what the early church did. Find what you like among the styles and enjoy it — then sing your heart out to the Lord. God never tells us that we can only worship through ancient Greek rap solos.
                                7. Don’t put too much stock in the song writers/singers — There are some Christian worship groups out there that I find questionable in their doctrine and would likely never attend their church. That doesn’t make the songs good or bad. If the lyrics are sound and the originators are not a distraction, then have at it.
                                8. If it sounds like Creed, it probably shouldn’t be in church — I know I said that different styles are ok, but again there are plenty of songs that I like that simply do not belong in worship. I have listened to Third Day for years and they have a ton of good worship songs. They also have Southern Rock songs that should stay in the pick up truck while you are doing air guitar — or is that just me?
                                9. Choose the Holy to lead, not the talented – You may have two choices to sing in worship – one who sings wonderfully and is lukewarm and the other whose singing is lukewarm and is on fire for Christ. Choose the one on fire for Christ and let God take care of the details why it will work out.
                                10. Love and support your worship leaders — It is a tough job, they need it just as much as anyone else in the Body.
                                11. Always fake an Australian accent to sound relevant — just kidding mate!

Comment