Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Women in Authority - scripturally defensible.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women in Authority - scripturally defensible.

It is rather difficult to find a lack of support, for women in leadership roles, in scripture - but maybe not so difficult to find a prohibition on women leading a congregation of mixed sexes (so 'tis said.)

Deborah was a prophet before she became a judge (Jdgs 4:4).
    Junia was an apostle (Rmns 16:7), argument and translations saying otherwise notwithstanding: the fact was affirmed by Augustine.
    The existence of female prophets is affirmed in both Old and New Testaments. (Acts 21:9).
    God appointed in the church, first; apostles, second; prophets ...
    If any rule against women in authority ever existed, God ignored it.

For anyone claiming co-equality in the Trinity, difficulties arise with attempting to use 1Cor 11:3 for placing men in preferred position. This same verse would make God in superior position to Christ.
    Last edited by tabibito; 06-27-2021, 01:56 AM.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

You certainly established that a woman may be a prophet. Now is a prophet a church leader?

I say no, a prophet is not a church leader. In the old testament, the prophets generally spoke out against the priests, the leaders in the temple. This continued through the ministry of John the Baptist. There is no old testament record of a prophet leading a congregation. The best you get is apparently a prophet would lead a school of prophets which to me is not the same as a congregation.

In the new testament, God did appoint prophets into the church. But there is no indication to me that God gave them a leadership position. The only prophet post Resurrection that I can recall is Agabus and in neither of his appearances did he appear to exert leadership authority.
    Scripture Verse: Acts 11:28

One of them, named Agabus, stood up and through the Spirit predicted that a severe famine would spread over the entire Roman world. (This happened during the reign of Claudius.)

© Copyright Original Source

;
    Scripture Verse: Acts 21:10-11

After we had been there a number of days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. Coming over to us, he took Paul’s belt, tied his own hands and feet with it and said, “The Holy Spirit says, ‘In this way the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem will bind the owner of this belt and will hand him over to the Gentiles.’”

I don't think you can use the office of prophet to get a woman into a church leadership position unless you can demonstrate a prophet is a church leader.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      You certainly established that a woman may be a prophet. Now is a prophet a church leader?

I say no, a prophet is not a church leader. In the old testament, the prophets generally spoke out against the priests, the leaders in the temple. This continued through the ministry of John the Baptist. There is no old testament record of a prophet leading a congregation. The best you get is apparently a prophet would lead a school of prophets which to me is not the same as a congregation.
      Not necessarily an analogous situation. In the OT, there was only one "congregation" -- the whole nation of Israel. And most Protestants recognize there is now only one priesthood: The holy royal priesthood of all believers (1 Pet. 2:5, 9; Rev. 1:6; 5:9; 20:6). In the OT, Israel as a whole was God's priesthood to the world (Ex. 19:6), and the sons of Aaron were in effect a priesthood within the priesthood.

Elders / bishop-overseer-supervisors / shepherds are in some ways similar to the OT priests, but IMO different in even more ways.

In the new testament, God did appoint prophets into the church. But there is no indication to me that God gave them a leadership position. The only prophet post Resurrection that I can recall is Agabus and in neither of his appearances did he appear to exert leadership authority.
      Scripture Verse: Acts 11:28

One of them, named Agabus, stood up and through the Spirit predicted that a severe famine would spread over the entire Roman world. (This happened during the reign of Claudius.)

;
      Scripture Verse: Acts 21:10-11

After we had been there a number of days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. Coming over to us, he took Paul’s belt, tied his own hands and feet with it and said, “The Holy Spirit says, ‘In this way the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem will bind the owner of this belt and will hand him over to the Gentiles.’”

I don't think you can use the office of prophet to get a woman into a church leadership position unless you can demonstrate a prophet is a church leader.
      Acts 13:1 lists several prophets, including Saul before he became Paul later in the chapter. Acts 15:32 lists two more.

Whether prophets qualify as "church leaders" may depend in part on how one interprets the "ranking" in 1 Cor. 12 and Eph. 4.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

While I'm cogitating on Thoughtful Monk's comments
        Ephs 4:11 And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers,
        12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;
        13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith

Can it be effectively argued that fulfilment of the first phrase of verse 13 has ever been in evidence?
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I think this may have come from a discussion in which I was involved, and my "sticking point" was that a woman is not to be "the lead pastor" or the head of the congregation, just as she is not to be the "head of the home".

How bout the "husband of one wife" qualification? Are there those that think there's an interpretation of that qualification that allows, for example, "the wife of one husband"?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            Acts 13:1 lists several prophets, including Saul before he became Paul later in the chapter. Acts 15:32 lists two more.

Whether prophets qualify as "church leaders" may depend in part on how one interprets the "ranking" in 1 Cor. 12 and Eph. 4.
            That would be another worthwhile discussion -- when the word "prophet" is used in the sense of 'predicting (or warning against) future events' or simply "proclaiming the truth".
            I consider myself a prophet, but only in the sense of proclaiming what the Word of God actually says about events, both past, present and future.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I think this may have come from a discussion in which I was involved, and my "sticking point" was that a woman is not to be "the lead pastor" or the head of the congregation, just as she is not to be the "head of the home".

How bout the "husband of one wife" qualification? Are there those that think there's an interpretation of that qualification that allows, for example, "the wife of one husband"?
              Ah now. Paul does lay down rules for the elders (masculine noun), but he makes no mention of the "elderesses" in that passage. Female elders (e.g. Rmns 16:1 - Phoebe) are definitely part of the early church hierarchy, whether or not they were preachers, but why would Paul prohibit an unheard of practice? What is the likelihood of a woman having two husbands in the first century church? Further, argument may be raised against Prisca (Rmns 16:3) as an apostle, but the claim that she was a "fellow-worker" with Paul doesn't designate her as a simple congregant.

Overall, my take is that AT BEST there lacks a conclusive scriptural prohibition against women in leadership roles. Without a conclusive overall statement, it is within the province of a congregation's decision whether to have a woman as church-leader. Nothing allows for one congregation to declare another's alternative choice incorrect.
              Last edited by tabibito; 06-28-2021, 10:49 AM.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Ah now. Paul does lay down rules for the elders (masculine noun), but he makes no mention of the "elderesses" in that passage. Female elders (e.g. Rmns 16:1 - Phoebe) are definitely part of the early church hierarchy, whether or not they were preachers, but why would Paul prohibit an unheard of practice? What is the likelihood of a woman having two husbands in the first century church? Further, argument may be raised against Prisca (Rmns 16:3) as an apostle, but the claim that she was a "fellow-worker" with Paul doesn't designate her as a simple congregant.

Overall, my take is that AT BEST there lacks a conclusive scriptural prohibition against women in leadership roles. Without a conclusive overall statement, it is within the province of a congregation's decision whether to have a woman as church-leader. Nothing allows for one congregation to declare another's alternative choice incorrect.
                So, lemme emphasize again --- I'm specifically talking about THE lead role in a local church - "the pastor", or lead pastor or whatever you want to call "the man in charge".

Comment

So, lemme emphasize again --- I'm specifically talking about THE lead role in a local church - "the pastor", or lead pastor or whatever you want to call "the man in charge".
                  You mean like an apostle? Junia was one.

There are churches, SBC among them, who allowed women into the field to evangelise, and when they had built congregations up, running under their supervision, the churches concerned replaced those women with male preachers. It was all well and good for women to have full authority in fledgling churches, but not in established churches. Seems to me that such procedures point to double-think.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Yes. Payne (Man and Woman -- One in Christ) and Bartlett (Men and Women in Christ) give evidence that the Greek expression (literally, "one-woman-man") is an idiom meaning "faithful spouse," and can refer to either sex, while the related expression in 1 Tim. 5:9 (literally, "one-man-woman") refers only to faithful wives (not husbands). IMO Bartlett gives a more readable and generally better presentation, explicitly explaining 1 Tim. 3 as continuing the discussion from 1 Tim. 2. Both (Payne and Bartlett) note that, assuming the claims about one-woman-man are correct, there are no other nouns or pronouns in 1 Tim. 3 (or Tit. 1) that specify gender (contrary to the implication of virtually all English translations apart from the CEB and CEV).
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Are you sure the whole idea of "the" lead role is not an anachronism being read back onto Scripture? Can you point to Scriptures indicating a single "man in charge" as normative? I mean, I see Nympha as "the" woman in charge of a particular church, but offhand I'm not aware of Scripture teaching that there must be a single "head" person, as opposed to a group of elders.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                        In addition to what I posted above, I don't think it's necessary to demonstrate that prophethood is a leadership role in order to see leadership roles as being open to women.

The OP already documented Junia (Rom. 16:7) as being an apostle. While that term certainly had a range of meanings, most people would agree it generally involved some degree of leadership.

Phoebe (Rom. 16:1-2) was a "prostatis," or "patron." This was a position that afforded at least some degree of leadership (and the term is related to "proistemi," "leadership" in Rom. 12:8 (i.e. the same book), as well as "preside over" in 1 Thess. 5:12 and "manage" (one's household) in 1 Tim. 3.

It seems natural to me to regard Nympha (Col. 4:15) as the leader of a house church, since she was the householder, and she is the only person greeted by name.

Here Marg Mowczko makes the case that the "chosen lady" of 2 John 1:1 was the leader of a local church. She addresses the usage of the words "chosen," "lady" ("kuria," a term indicating some rank or honor), and "children," and refutes the common idea, held by even some egalitarians like Craig Keener, that "chosen lady" referred to that church as a whole. (Marg has an article addressing the overall topic of "women pastors" here.)

Many of us see Acts 2 making a strong case for women being equal to men in ministry. It's fairly clear that the passage is the fulfillment of the receiving of "power" promised in the Great Commission accounts in Luke 24 and Acts 1. And Peter's quotation from Joel 2 seems to parallel Jesus's quoting of Isa. 61 as the justification and program for the ministry to follow. So it seems significant to me that the passage twice puts males and females on equal footing in Spirit-enabled ministry.

Especially in its context contrasting Spirit and Law, many of us see Gal. 3:28 as eliminating the class distinctions (including but not limited to the fact that ministry was limited by both sex and genealogy) that were explicitly in effect under the Law.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          You mean like an apostle? Junia was one.
                          No, I mean like pastor of a church.

There are churches, SBC among them, who allowed women into the field to evangelise, and when they had built congregations up, running under their supervision, the churches concerned replaced those women with male preachers. It was all well and good for women to have full authority in fledgling churches, but not in established churches. Seems to me that such procedures point to double-think.
                          SBC is a bad example, because ALL of its churches are autonomous -- that one church (or even a bunch of churches) does/do something is not indicative of the organization's policies.

Though we claim to be a non-creedal people, we do, in fact, have a statement of faith on which we vote at annual meetings - the Baptist Faith & Message. It's pretty clear about the office of pastor being held only by men.
                          A New Testament church of the Lord Jesus Christ is an autonomous local congregation of baptized believers, associated by covenant in the faith and fellowship of the gospel; observing the two ordinances of Christ, governed by His laws, exercising the gifts, rights, and privileges invested in them by His Word, and seeking to extend the gospel to the ends of the earth. Each congregation operates under the Lordship of Christ through democratic processes. In such a congregation each member is responsible and accountable to Christ as Lord. Its scriptural officers are pastors and deacons. While both men and women are gifted for service in the church, the office of pastor is limited to men as qualified by Scripture.

The New Testament speaks also of the church as the Body of Christ which includes all of the redeemed of all the ages, believers from every tribe, and tongue, and people, and nation.

Matthew 16:15-19; 18:15-20; Acts 2:41-42,47; 5:11-14; 6:3-6; 13:1-3; 14:23,27; 15:1-30; 16:5; 20:28; Romans 1:7; 1 Corinthians 1:2; 3:16; 5:4-5; 7:17; 9:13-14; 12; Ephesians 1:22-23; 2:19-22; 3:8-11,21; 5:22-32; Philippians 1:1; Colossians 1:18; 1 Timothy 2:9-14; 3:1-15; 4:14; Hebrews 11:39-40; 1 Peter 5:1-4; Revelation 2-3; 21:2-3.

Comment

By the way - there's still much controversy about Junia....
                            Either that she was a woman
                            or that she was an apostle.

The Greek leaves it open that she was "noted among the Apostles", but not necessarily was "one of them".

Here's something from Bible.org
                            Junia Among the Apostles: The Double Identification Problem in Romans 16:7

I'm always careful when we find an apparent "exception to the rule" that's not really clear.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Are you sure the whole idea of "the" lead role is not an anachronism being read back onto Scripture? Can you point to Scriptures indicating a single "man in charge" as normative? I mean, I see Nympha as "the" woman in charge of a particular church, but offhand I'm not aware of Scripture teaching that there must be a single "head" person, as opposed to a group of elders.
                              Ultimately, every institution should have ONE "head" --- in nature, anything without a head is dead, and anything with more than one head is a monster.

(I'm assuming we're having a friendly conversation here, so I'm being a bit reserved - not in "battle mode". )

As for the "group of elders", it still comes down to the qualification of an elder including that he be "the husband of one wife". Both 1 Timothy 3:2 and Titus 1:6 state that rather clearly.
                              Again, in the Bible, we have the pattern - Christ (male) is the head of the Church, man (male) is the head of the home, and the elder is to be in charge of his own household (1 Tim 3:4-5, Titus 1:6-7)

Comment