Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Best-Selling Devotional Has Prayer to "Help Me to Hate White People"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Esther View Post

When "Christians" use words such as "dammit" they should lose all credibility. And they do.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Not your area of the forum to post, Toasty
    Apologies, Bill.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    By carefully deleting the balancing text surrounding the cited passages, the excerpt appears maliciously dishonest to me. The full text of the poem and its background context and motivation is available in a blog post by the author.

Prayer of a Weary Black Woman
    [...]

In all truth, my familial and personal experiences of racism have given me thousands, maybe even millions, of reasons to hate White people. It could easily be seen as justified. And I could find biblical precedent for it.

But dammit if God hasn’t given me a different spirit, one that insists on looking for goodness and possibility, one that holds holy rage and holy hope together. Many Black women can connect to that prayer, especially those of us who labor for justice within and beyond the church. Loving people who are committed to hating us – to disenfranchising us, incarcerating us, and abusing us in myriad other ways – is hard. And still, we persist.

The prayer is below.

Prayer-weary-black-woman

Not your area of the forum to post, Toasty

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post

Eh... I get why people use the term, 'reverse racism,' because this behavior is flipping who's giving it and who's taking it, but I prefer to call it 'racism,' because- at the end of the day- that's just what it is, pure and simple.
    That was the point made back in the 80s when the term "reverse discrimination" was popular. There is no such thing as "reverse discrimination." There is just discrimination. Same with racism.

Leave a comment:

• Chaotic Void
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Yes, I agree. But reverse racism is also correct, because it is being "flipped", to the point that we are meant to feel guilty just for being white.
    ...Yeah, any time someone tries to shame be for being 'white,' I point out that I'm technically only mostly white (being Metis and all, I'm technically Non-Status Indigenous) and I tell 'em to put the Race Card back in the deck.

Admittedly, I have a bit of fun trolling certain folks when they go, "ReVeRsE rAcIsM iSn'T rEaL," (a common soundbite when the term Reverse Racism comes up) and I go, "You're right. This behavior is better described as just plain-jane, old-fashioned racism." Watching the spark fly out of their ears is comedy gold.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    Progressives are such demonically deceived fools, they don't even believe "reverse racism" is possible.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied

Eh... I get why people use the term, 'reverse racism,' because this behavior is flipping who's giving it and who's taking it, but I prefer to call it 'racism,' because- at the end of the day- that's just what it is, pure and simple.
    Yes, I agree. But reverse racism is also correct, because it is being "flipped", to the point that we are meant to feel guilty just for being white.

Leave a comment:

• Chaotic Void
    replied

And that's exactly what's been happening. It's reverse racism.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied

Received Cancer.jpg

But seriously, that's just vile. If you want to stop racism, you don't repay it with more racism and demonization of an entire group of people. That's a vicious cycle just waiting to escalate into unspeakable territory.
    And that's exactly what's been happening. It's reverse racism.

Leave a comment:

• Chaotic Void
    replied
    https://www.amazon.com/Rhythm-Prayer.../dp/0593137213

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • For the weary, the angry, the anxious, and the hopeful, this collection of moving, tender prayers offers rest, joyful resistance, and a call to act, written by Barbara Brown Taylor, Amena Brown, Nadia Bolz-Weber, and other artists and thinkers, curated by the author Glennon Doyle calls “my favorite faith writer.”

It’s no secret that we are overworked, overpressured, and edging burnout. Unsurprisingly, this fact is as old as time—and that’s why we see so many prayer circles within a multitude of church traditions. These gatherings are a trusted space where people seek help, hope, and peace, energized by God and one another.

This book, curated by acclaimed author Sarah Bessey, celebrates and honors that prayerful tradition in a literary form. A companion for all who feel the immense joys and challenges of the journey of faith, this collection of prayers says it all aloud, giving readers permission to recognize the weight of all they carry. These writings also offer a broadened imagination of hope—of what can be restored and made new. Each prayer is an original piece of writing, with new essays by Sarah Bessey throughout.

Encompassing the full breadth of the emotional landscape, these deeply tender yet subversive prayers give readers an intimate look at the diverse language and shapes of prayer.

This book is not biblically based. It includes prayers of hate, it describes God using she & her, and changes Bible verses to be more “inclusive”. Leftist propaganda. Included in this BESTSELLER is the following "prayer"

Excerpts from "Prayer of a Weary Black Woman" by Dr. Chanequa Walker-Barnes, Ph.D., Mercer University associate professor of practical theology

Dear God,

Please help me to hate white people. Or at least to want to hate them. At least, I want to stop caring about them, individually and collectively. I want to stop caring about their misguided, racist souls, to stop believing that they can be better, that they can stop being racist.

My prayer is that you would help me to hate the other white people—you know, the nice ones. The Fox News-loving, Trump-supporting voters who “don’t see color” but who make thinly veiled racist comments about “those people.” The people who are happy to have me over for dinner but alert the neighborhood watch anytime an unrecognized person of color passes their house.

[…]

Lord, if you can’t make me hate them, at least spare me from their perennial gaslighting, whitemansplaining, and white woman tears.

Lord, if it be your will, harden my heart. Stop me from striving to see the best in people. Stop me from being hopeful that white people can do and be better. Let me imagine them instead as white-hooded robes standing in front of burning crosses.
    Received Cancer.jpg

But seriously, that's just vile. If you want to stop racism, you don't repay it with more racism and demonization of an entire group of people. That's a vicious cycle just waiting to escalate into unspeakable territory.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Her excuse is that imprecatory prayer is in the Bible, which is true, and Jesus even quoted them.

Christians need to have a good theology of imprecatory prayer. Churches never discuss them. Most Christians don't even know they're there, but they are. So it's no surprise that they get caught flat footed when the topic comes up.

It's complicated, because we have to balance the fact that Jesus commands us to love our enemies with the fact that Jesus quoted the imprecatory psalms. (But it's not complicated in the case of this lady, because it's scripturally obvious that nobody should see an entire race of people as their "enemies".)
    I'm a fan of imprecatory prayers, but I make a serious effort to not pray them against "my" enemies, but only against those that are actively doing evil against the people of God in general, or against the innocent and defenseless.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied

Thus the last sentence of my post.
    Yeah. Was just enhancing what you said, brother.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    White people are not the enemy of God or His People, therefore that kind of prayer is out of place when praying for or against people you just don't like.
    Thus the last sentence of my post.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Her excuse is that imprecatory prayer is in the Bible, which is true, and Jesus even quoted them.

Christians need to have a good theology of imprecatory prayer. Churches never discuss them. Most Christians don't even know they're there, but they are. So it's no surprise that they get caught flat footed when the topic comes up.

It's complicated, because we have to balance the fact that Jesus commands us to love our enemies with the fact that Jesus quoted the imprecatory psalms. (But it's not complicated in the case of this lady, because it's scripturally obvious that nobody should see an entire race of people as their "enemies".)
    Imprecatory Psalms were usually the Prophets praying for calamity against the sworn enemy of God and His people. White people are not the enemy of God or His People, therefore that kind of prayer is out of place when praying for or against people you just don't like.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Imagine if a white woman had written that reversing the language.

There would be riots everywhere.
    It's so twisted and evil. It's worse than a Christian just denouncing their faith and walking away. Instead they're embracing this evil. The fact it's permeated the church so rapidly is as clear evidence of the existence of supernatural evil as I think we're ever going to see in our modern era.
    Last edited by seanD; 04-08-2021, 12:53 PM.

Leave a comment: