Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are you Closer to the Lord today than you were a year ago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Esther View Post
    I don't know whether this feeds in to being closer to the Lord than last year. Every day I seem to becoming more and more acutely aware of how much I need Jesus for everything.
    I think it's a good sign that you're growing as a Christian. We can put too much emphasis on our independence that we forget that we are ultimately dependent on Jesus for everything. I can't raise myself from the dead - I'm dependent on God to do that.

You have something that more Christians need to have - a need for Jesus.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Around October 2019 we started a dinner tradition with the family, where we each say one thing that we're thankful for. It can be big or small--there's no rule really, other than try not to say the same thing two days in a row. We've done it enough now that my 4-yo daughter consistently remembers to do this, and each kid enjoys doing it. Their 7 month old baby sister outweighs anything else in number of mentions by a lot.

I think that has significantly contributed to the growth that I've seen in the last year. I attribute to it my tendency in prayer, now, to simply give thanks and often not say or ask for anything else.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And when I do that thing, I mean I actually take time to pray about this, and in your case, adding you to my daily prayer list.
        You're a good guy - I hope you find somewhere to fellowship.

How bout a livestream church service? Do you catch any of those?
        Thanks for the prayers. I need all of those I can get.

I was talking to my physical therapist. I'll probably have low level pain into July and not feel fully healed until September. At least I have an idea of when this will end. My wife got a diagnosis. Good news is its not life-threating and treatable. Bad news is it's something she'll probably have to live with for the rest of her life.

I have live streamed church services or done the posted service on their website/YouTube channel. You can always find good teaching on the web and it helps. You just can't get the fellowship.

I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with this. I recognize I need to get out of the whine and complain phase and into seeking a solution phase.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Thanks for the prayers. I need all of those I can get.

I was talking to my physical therapist. I'll probably have low level pain into July and not feel fully healed until September. At least I have an idea of when this will end. My wife got a diagnosis. Good news is its not life-threating and treatable. Bad news is it's something she'll probably have to live with for the rest of her life.

I have live streamed church services or done the posted service on their website/YouTube channel. You can always find good teaching on the web and it helps. You just can't get the fellowship.

I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with this. I recognize I need to get out of the whine and complain phase and into seeking a solution phase.
          Talking about it is a good step, brother. Recognizing a need is a BIGGIE, and talking about it is progress.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Talking about it is a good step, brother. Recognizing a need is a BIGGIE, and talking about it is progress.
            If you don't mind a slow moving conversation on this, I'll pick this up sometime next week.

Comment

If you don't mind a slow moving conversation on this, I'll pick this up sometime next week.
              Not at all -- you seem to be good people.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not at all -- you seem to be good people.
                I think this is the best post to go back to restart the conversation.

I have been foundering in my relationship with God since at least 2015 and probably longer than that. I have learned that I am not capable of being a solitary Christian - I need the fellowship. Unfortunately the churches I try around here are all hollow shells. the last one I was at: I'm not convinced the majority believe in God anymore and no matter what my wife and I did, we couldn't break into the social groups. I am trying real hard not to develop an Elijah complex but it is so hard to find the 7,000 who haven't bowed down to Baal.

I am old enough that I can see the finish line to my race in the distance. Since that has come into sight, I more appreciate the importance of a relationship with God and need less of the how to live this life teaching. Its just not available here.

In the not helping department: my wife and I are both dealing with health issues right now and a degree of lethargy has settled into our house. My issue is acute and should work out in the next couple of months. My wife's is still being diagnosed but I think there's a chance she has a chronic issue.
                The above is still essentially accurate. My big realization since I posted this (May 6, 2021), is I've lost my Christian community. In addition to the church, I had a community of believers and we would gather and encourage each other. The community dissolved and nothing has come in it's place. Now my whole Christian community is my wife, one other couple, and what you can get at Tweb. I'm not strong enough to be a strong Christian by myself. I ashamed of declaring myself to be a Christian anymore. It's probably no wonder that God seems distant.

I don't want this to become a complaint thread. I need to move towards find a solution that works for my wife and me. Yes, prayer is necessary. More church scouting would be helpful. It will probably be September until I am mobile enough to actually go to church. I wish there was a group like People of Praise around here. However I don't really know anyone who goes to church to ask about their church.

Comment

I think this is the best post to go back to restart the conversation.

The above is still essentially accurate. My big realization since I posted this (May 6, 2021), is I've lost my Christian community. In addition to the church, I had a community of believers and we would gather and encourage each other. The community dissolved and nothing has come in it's place. Now my whole Christian community is my wife, one other couple, and what you can get at Tweb. I'm not strong enough to be a strong Christian by myself. I ashamed of declaring myself to be a Christian anymore. It's probably no wonder that God seems distant.

I don't want this to become a complaint thread. I need to move towards find a solution that works for my wife and me. Yes, prayer is necessary. More church scouting would be helpful. It will probably be September until I am mobile enough to actually go to church. I wish there was a group like People of Praise around here. However I don't really know anyone who goes to church to ask about their church.
                  Dear Thoughtful Monk

I am not very active here but the few times I have read your posts and taken note of your name and avatar (which I like btw) you give the impression of a mature and deep Christian.

Am realising more and more that being strong is a stumbling block to experiencing the strength of the Lord. Confessing our utter weakness and asking the Lord to come in fully and be strong in us, so that it is all of Him and none of us. Asking Him to change us and work in us, relying on Him for everything and co-labouring by trusting and obeying.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post

Dear Thoughtful Monk

I am not very active here but the few times I have read your posts and taken note of your name and avatar (which I like btw) you give the impression of a mature and deep Christian.

Am realising more and more that being strong is a stumbling block to experiencing the strength of the Lord. Confessing our utter weakness and asking the Lord to come in fully and be strong in us, so that it is all of Him and none of us. Asking Him to change us and work in us, relying on Him for everything and co-labouring by trusting and obeying.
                    Hi Esther,

You certainly make one think about what it means to be a strong Christian. Certainly the image that first comes to my mind is an independent person who needs no one. That is certainly the worldly view of strong. You know, I'm not sure I would recognize a strong Christian if I met one. Maybe I would just call them mature?

Comment

I answered Closer now then this time last year. The reason is it has allowed me to trust more in his sovereignty, plus it has expanded my ministry to others, even though I could not physically be around people I made use of that time to find other means to do so (Ephesians 5:16; Colossians 4:5).

Comment