Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are you Closer to the Lord today than you were a year ago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you Closer to the Lord today than you were a year ago?

Are you Closer to the Lord today than you were a year ago?

We should be growing as Christians, but so many Christians seem to be on a "maintenance" track instead of a growth track.

Especially having gone through a year with Covid - where are you spiritually? Closer to the Lord? Slipped some? About the same?

I started to make it a private poll, but I think accountability is a good thing, so let's just be open and honest, eh?

I'm Closer to the Lord now than this time last year
    46.15%
    I'm about the same as I was this time last year
    30.77%
    I may have slipped some from this time last year
    23.08%
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I answered that I'm closer to the Lord this year than last, simply because I've had to take a whole new look at ministry.
    It has caused me to rethink how to connect to people, and required me to do more checking on people who have not been in Church in a while.
    Prior to Covid - they might just be on vacation, or cold or flu --- but with Covid, you don't get to see people for weeks or months at a time!

Covid was a "shot in the arm", so to speak, to looking at ministry in a new way.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The only "growth" I've had is I'm more conscious of His absence in my life and my inability to change this without others to be with me.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
        The only "growth" I've had is I'm more conscious of His absence in my life and my inability to change this without others to be with me.
        Wanna explore that?

Comment

I answered I was closer now because, I've found and developed new friendships within my church which includes an men's prayer and share group. It has made me MUCH more consistent in a structured prayer life. I have always talked with God throughout my day but, now I have a specified time and a definitive list to pray for my brothers in Christ. I had this years ago but it was job related. When I lost that job, my group went away. I was never able to successfully build another until now.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I answered about the same. Stuck at home, no real interaction with live Christians other than on internet.

Comment

Closer, Covid taught me that I was living at a bit of a hyper rate. I have slowed down, and have been hearing from the Lord more often. However, He talks to me not when I want, but when He wants. I could go into detail, but some is a bit personal.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Stranger View Post
                Closer, Covid taught me that I was living at a bit of a hyper rate. I have slowed down, and have been hearing from the Lord more often. However, He talks to me not when I want, but when He wants. I could go into detail, but some is a bit personal.
                I'm interested - as much or as little as you'd like to go into.

Comment

Well, I'm a year closer to dying, so...
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Wanna explore that?
                    Sure. Unfortunately its uncomfortable to sit at a computer for a long time so I'll have to be brief.

I have been foundering in my relationship with God since at least 2015 and probably longer than that. I have learned that I am not capable of being a solitary Christian - I need the fellowship. Unfortunately the churches I try around here are all hollow shells. the last one I was at: I'm not convinced the majority believe in God anymore and no matter what my wife and I did, we couldn't break into the social groups. I am trying real hard not to develop an Elijah complex but it is so hard to find the 7,000 who haven't bowed down to Baal.

I am old enough that I can see the finish line to my race in the distance. Since that has come into sight, I more appreciate the importance of a relationship with God and need less of the how to live this life teaching. Its just not available here.

In the not helping department: my wife and I are both dealing with health issues right now and a degree of lethargy has settled into our house. My issue is acute and should work out in the next couple of months. My wife's is still being diagnosed but I think there's a chance she has a chronic issue.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Sure. Unfortunately its uncomfortable to sit at a computer for a long time so I'll have to be brief.

I have been foundering in my relationship with God since at least 2015 and probably longer than that. I have learned that I am not capable of being a solitary Christian - I need the fellowship. Unfortunately the churches I try around here are all hollow shells. the last one I was at: I'm not convinced the majority believe in God anymore and no matter what my wife and I did, we couldn't break into the social groups. I am trying real hard not to develop an Elijah complex but it is so hard to find the 7,000 who haven't bowed down to Baal.

I am old enough that I can see the finish line to my race in the distance. Since that has come into sight, I more appreciate the importance of a relationship with God and need less of the how to live this life teaching. Its just not available here.

In the not helping department: my wife and I are both dealing with health issues right now and a degree of lethargy has settled into our house. My issue is acute and should work out in the next couple of months. My wife's is still being diagnosed but I think there's a chance she has a chronic issue.

And when I do that thing, I mean I actually take time to pray about this, and in your case, adding you to my daily prayer list.
                      You're a good guy - I hope you find somewhere to fellowship.

How bout a lifestream church service? Do you catch any of those?

Comment

I don't know whether this feeds in to being closer to the Lord than last year. Every day I seem to becoming more and more acutely aware of how much I need Jesus for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
                          I don't know whether this feeds in to being closer to the Lord than last year. Every day I seem to becoming more and more acutely aware of how much I need Jesus for everything.
                          OK, you prompted a song!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

OK, you prompted a song!!!

I promise to try very hard to never prompt another!

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post

I promise to try very hard to never prompt another!
                              That will be very difficult, as I am VERY easily prompted to song!!!

I wake up singing!

Comment