Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What Did Jesus Know, and When Did He Know it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Did Jesus Know, and When Did He Know it?

OK, so Jesus was God, and He was also a man - the GodMan, Christ Jesus.
    He "emptied himself" and became a man.....

So, somebody mentioned last night that when John's disciples came to Jesus, and told him John had been beheaded, that Jesus left to be by Himself (Matt 14)
    They also made the comment that they weren't telling Jesus anything He didn't know, because He knows all.
    Another person made a comment that, because Jesus "laid aside" His deity, He also laid aside his "knowing all".
    He probably did NOT know that John had been beheaded.

Yet, we see multiple instances in the Bible where somebody was asking a question, or disciples were talking among themselves, and Jesus knew what they were really up to.

So, What did Jesus know, and when did He know it?
    Do you believe Jesus, as the Son of Man on earth, did NOT know - or was not CAPABLE of knowing all?

Specifically, in Matt 14, could Jesus NOT have known that John had been beheaded?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Only God knows.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I have wrestled with this question for years and haven't come up with a good answer. It is one of the things that makes the Incarnation so incredible.

As you say, Jesus was the GodMan. As God, He is omniscient. As man, he is not. I suggest the answer is found in His being sinless. Since He was sinless, His relationship with God the Father was not impaired. So the times He appears to be omniscient, it maybe God the Father or the Holy Spirit had just given Him the answer.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

We know it wasn't everything because he did not know the date of his return, whereas God the Father did at this point in time (Matthew 24:36).
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

So, somebody mentioned last night that when John's disciples came to Jesus, and told him John had been beheaded, that Jesus left to be by Himself (Matt 14)
          They also made the comment that they weren't telling Jesus anything He didn't know, because He knows all.
          Another person made a comment that, because Jesus "laid aside" His deity, He also laid aside his "knowing all".

Yet, we see multiple instances in the Bible where somebody was asking a question, or disciples were talking among themselves, and Jesus knew what they were really up to.

Do you believe Jesus, as the Son of Man on earth, did NOT know - or was not CAPABLE of knowing all?

Specifically, in Matt 14, could Jesus NOT have known that John had been beheaded?
          Jesus may have already known about John but when news arrived about it this now meant everyone in his group also knew, and it might be he separated Himself from them because He didn't want to discuss it at the moment.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            We know it wasn't everything because he did not know the date of his return, whereas God the Father did at this point in time (Matthew 24:36).
            Yes, that much we can't dispute.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Jesus may have already known about John but when news arrived about it this now meant everyone in his group also knew, and it might be he separated Himself from them because He didn't want to discuss it at the moment.
              Yeah, because it was John's disciples who came to tell Jesus, so Jesus' disciples would also know.

And I also have to think there's a "clock is ticking" kind of element --- even though we know something is coming, when we see "road signs" or mile markers, it brings it that much more to the forefront of our thought. John the Baptist is dead - and things are moving quickly.

Comment

I wish I couple double or triple Amen this.

Say Jesus is omniscient during the Incarnation and you deny He's fully man and becomes God pretending to be a man. Say Jesus is not omniscient during the Incarnation and you deny His fully God and His redemptive work on the cross becomes ineffectual. This is one of those questions we have to struggle with even though we won't get the answer this side of Heaven.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I think William Craig hypothesized that Jesus was subconsciously omniscient. So, He may not have consciously have been aware of everything. I wonder if He subconsciously knew that the water the Pharisees were using for ceremonial cleansing was actually full of germs and the disciples didn't need to stick their hands in that? Of course, He would also know there was no need to consciously remember about germ theory to prove His point. Only Jesus would know and wonder if He would mind us asking?

Comment

Maybe he could "turn it on" when he wanted to know something but otherwise he didn't know. Sort of like the "subconscious" CBW talks about above, but able to access it when he wanted to.

Comment

OK, so I'm not far off base in observing that, at times, He seemed to be perfectly aware of things He wouldn't know by simply hearing or seeing, but at other times, maybe he didn't "know" just by knowing.

Comment

Kinda like if the internet were actually infallible.

Comment

OK, so I'm not far off base in observing that, at times, He seemed to be perfectly aware of things He wouldn't know by simply hearing or seeing, but at other times, maybe he didn't "know" just by knowing.
                          Well considering he had a fully human brain, he wouldn't be able to hold all knowledge in it all the time. I think that is what they mean by he "emptied" himself. But I think he had access to whatever knowledge he needed or wanted to access. Maybe like having a "library" at his disposal, he had to actively go and get the info he was looking for otherwise it wasn't just there all the time?

Comment

Yeah, the "emptied himself", to me, is complicated by the fact that He didn't lay aside his GODness, because He still had power over the elements, disease, and all kinds of supernatural powers.

Comment

Yeah, the "emptied himself", to me, is complicated by the fact that He didn't lay aside his GODness, because He still had power over the elements, disease, and all kinds of supernatural powers.
                              Isn't that referring to His humility? He didn't go around demanding that people worship him right this second or else. He was more patient with the Pharisees than they deserved. He even paid His life down at the cross instead of summoning legions of angels to come kick butts.

Comment