Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Seed vs Seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
    I think Genesis 17:7-8 is the exact passage he is quoting. Note that Abram becomes Abraham in Genesis 17, which would seem to disqualify the prior chapters as being the right quotation. Also, Chapter 17 is where it specifically emphasizes the word "covenant." It is where Abraham first receives the covenant of circumcision, a ritual that Paul talked about in Galatians 2.

Galatians 3
    16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Genesis 17
    7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee. 8 And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.
    Yes, Genesis 17 would fit Paul's criteria in Galatians 3:15-18. And it's a land promise.

I still think that "seed" may refer to all Israel, however, and not just Christ. Maybe Paul's point is that God was not making a treaty with Israel collectively, but rather with each individual Israelite.
    That seems to go against the specific point Paul raises in Galatians 3:15-18 about it not referring to the many, but to the one, Christ.

Genesis 17: 14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.

Hence, Jesus was included as part of the promise. He was circumcised. And to experience the same promises, the gentiles do not have to become part of the nation of Israel (a collective). They just have to unite with Christ in a spiritual manner (an individual).

Galatians 3
    27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
    That is certainly Paul's larger concern. However, I'm only asking about the specific argument he's making in verses 15-18 to support it, not that larger question.
    Last edited by RBerman; 03-08-2014, 08:24 AM.

Comment

The Gen 13 promise works. And the Gen 17 works. However in Gen 15 the 'offspring' described appeared to be more specifically addressing the physical descendants.

One filter that may apply here is that some promises seem to speak of an everlasting benefit. We don't see this everlasting benefit gained through the physical children of Abraham. Even in Gen 15, the promise was more to the offspring (saying "to your offspring I give ..." ) rather than a benefit to Abraham directly.

We somewhat see that the promise in Gen 13 speaks of the offspring as being like the dust. We might assign this merely to Israel (per Isa 10:20-22). However the everlasting benefit seems to describe benefactors through Christ ... who also can be countless.

In this description, the covenant with Israel is shown to be temporal and of a limited scope. It is not through Israel that eternal benefits are gained to people in Christ. The destiny of Israel, the Mosaic covenant, and the law of Moses was not to any longer have relevance ... especially not to the gentiles.

Now we must also look at the dual implications of 'seed' and 'seeds.' We have Paul showing that it was through Abraham's seed that the nations would be blessed. It was a promise to Christ (or the Son, or the 2nd distinct person of the trinity) such that through Christ these blessings would manifest.

Our benefit is gained via our connection with Christ (who is singularly described) yet we inherit through Christ. This inheritance is not individually but singularly through Christ. The plural implications of the promises to Abraham apply to us believers as parts of Christ's body. Or we can look at the vine analogy, Jesus is the vine and we are the many branches. As such the branches represent the offspring numbered as the dust.

Comment

The especially interesting thing (beyond knowing the blessings in Christ) is that we are getting a glimpse of the apologetics and general discussion about the relevance of Abraham's covenant (and the significance of Abraham) , as it was discussed in the first century

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman
          That seems to go against the specific point Paul raises in Galatians 3:15-18 about it not referring to the many, but to the one, Christ.
          Well it specifically says "their," in the very same sentence. Paul may simply be saying that not all of Abraham's children fit into the covenant. For example, Ishmael did not. But Christ did.

Genesis 17
          7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.
          8 And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.

Comment

Well it specifically says "their," in the very same sentence. Paul may simply be saying that not all of Abraham's children fit into the covenant. For example, Ishmael did not. But Christ did.

Genesis 17
            7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.
            8 And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.
            You are correct that in the English translation, and presumably in the Hebrew original, "their God" has the plural possessive, implying that within the context of Genesis 17, "seed" should be understood as a group noun, singular in grammar but referring to a group of Abraham's descendants. Yet Paul's point in Galatians 3:15-18 restricts the application of that text, in his day, to Christ. I don't see any reference to the line of Ishmael here, though Paul does use a metaphor involving Hagar in the second half of Galatians 4.

Comment

This may be of interest to you guys. From Genesis 26:

And Isaac went to Gerar to Abimelech king of the Philistines. And the Lord appeared to him and said, “Do not go down to Egypt; dwell in the land of which I shall tell you. Sojourn in this land, and I will be with you and will bless you, for to you and to your offspring I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath that I swore to Abraham your father. I will multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and will give to your offspring all these lands. And in your offspring all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because Abraham obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.
              The three promises of land, offspring, and blessing to all the nations are brought together when God repeated the promises to Isaac.

Comment

The Apostle Paul cites Genesis 12:7 in Galatians 3:16-17 for the 430 years from the promise to the giveing of the law.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                  This may be of interest to you guys. From Genesis 26: The three promises of land, offspring, and blessing to all the nations are brought together when God repeated the promises to Isaac.
                  This is the sort of thing that makes me think that, in Galatians 3, Paul specifically intends us to understand that the land promise is fulfilled in Christ, the heir of all things, not just in some specific ethnic group having a perpetual claim to some desert real estate the size of New Jersey. That would go against his whole point.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818
                    The Apostle Paul cites Genesis 12:7 in Galatians 3:16-17 for the 430 years from the promise to the giveing of the law.
                    Genesis 12 does not even have the words "And to thy seed," so I don't know where you're getting that from.

Comment

Genesis 12 does not even have the words "And to thy seed," so I don't know where you're getting that from.
                      " And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him." -- Genesis 12:7.

"Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. . . ." -- Galatians 3:16.

". . . the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect."

"For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever." -- Genesis 13:15.
                      Last edited by 37818; 03-13-2014, 04:10 PM.
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Comment

The promise was first recorded in Genesis 12:7, and yes an exact citation referring to that promise, "And to thy seed," would have to be from Genesis 13:15, ". . . and to thy seed . . . ." or one the other passages aforementioned.

Comment