Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Persecution in Alberta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persecution in Alberta

Persecution in Alberta.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

A little explanation, please. I'm sorry but I don't have time for a 1 and a half hour video.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      A little explanation, please. I'm sorry but I don't have time for a 1 and a half hour video.

James Coates, the pastor of Grace Life Church just outside of Edmonton, was arrested on Wednesday this week for continuing to hold services which goes against health regulations. He is being held in the maximum security prison in isolation for 2 weeks, and maybe longer until trial. He could have been released except that he refused to accept the conditions for release.

The majority of the video I posted is the sermon Coates preached last Sunday. If you listen to the intro to the sermon you will get the background to his arrest.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I urge everyone to listen to that video in it's entirety. There is a powerful message there that all believers need to hear.

Interestingly, I just learned that James Coates is a graduate of The Master's Seminary.

If that church was located closer to us, I believe my family would be attending it.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          I urge everyone to listen to that video in it's entirety. There is a powerful message there that all believers need to hear.

Interestingly, I just learned that James Coates is a graduate of The Master's Seminary.

If that church was located closer to us, I believe my family would be attending it.
          I'm ready for you to move to Texas.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I'm ready for you to move to Texas.

I don't know about that. Seems you get some pretty nasty weather.

But I'd come just to hear you preach. And sing!

Comment

James Coates, the pastor of Grace Life Church just outside of Edmonton, was arrested on Wednesday this week for continuing to hold services which goes against health regulations. He is being held in the maximum security prison in isolation for 2 weeks, and maybe longer until trial. He could have been released except that he refused to accept the conditions for release.

The majority of the video I posted is the sermon Coates preached last Sunday. If you listen to the intro to the sermon you will get the background to his arrest.
              The goal of covid-19 is purely to suppress the people and the church. This is of demonic origin -- not that the virus is anyway as bad as the demonic oppression done in the name of covid-19.

People need to wake up that there is a battle against us which is fueled by illusional fears. We are being destroyed for an illusion. We must wake up.

This scenario fills out my expectation that Revelation 20:7-10 is coming to the forefront now. This example in Alberta is representative of the nations encircling the camp of the saints with intent on destruction of what God has done. This shall fail in the end -- it is just hard to know how soon this end will come. I suspect the end of these evildoers will be within the next 10 years -- or else the evildoers will have finished destroying the environment and the church.
              Last edited by mikewhitney; 02-23-2021, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Editor’s note: A prior version of this story erroneously quoted lawyer John Carpay of the Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms as saying he didn’t think the pastor would abide by unscientific public health workers. In fact, he said he didn’t think the pastor would abide by public health orders. The story has been corrected.

A trial date has been set for a jailed Alberta pastor who is accused of holding Sunday services that violated COVID-19 rules.

James Coates with GraceLife Church in Spruce Grove, near Edmonton, did not appear in court Wednesday when a date for a three-day trial was set to start May 3. He was arrested last week and remanded in custody after refusing to agree to bail conditions.

Coates was charged this month for violating Alberta’s Public Health Act and breaking a promise to abide by rules of his bail release, which is a Criminal Code offence. The church has been holding services that officials say break public-health regulations on attendance, masking and distancing.

John Carpay, president of the Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms, the organization representing Coates, said lawyer James Kitchen plans to file an application with the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench seeking the pastor’s release until the trial begins.

Carpay said Kitchen will argue that the provincial government needs to be held accountable for COVID-19 rules that infringe on constitutional rights.

“The health orders violate our Charter Section 2 rights to assemble and associate worship, Section 6 rights to move and to travel, and Section 7 charter rights to life, liberty and security,” Carpay said.

“If the past behaviour is the best predictor of future behaviour, I don’t think it’s likely that pastor Coates is going to abide by public health orders.”

Several people gathered outside the Stony Plain courthouse in support of the pastor and urged Premier Jason Kenney to lift COVID-19 restrictions on Wednesday.

“Our governing authorities are acting criminally and all this is against our constitutional rights and freedoms,” said Jasmine Tucker, who has been going to GraceLife Church for 10 years and has continued attending church since Coates’ arrest.

“We’re devastated by what has happened. We have the right to go to church and worship God the way that God tells us to. We pray that churches will open, that churches stand up and say this is not right.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/7659565/a...rt-appearance/

Comment

Persecution in Alberta.

I took some time and listened to the video.

First discovery was the intro by Justin Peters. After listening to that for about 5 minutes, I had enough and skipped on to the sermon. Discovered that covered about 30 minutes of the video. In my opinion, introductions should be brief and be gone.

So I started listening to the actual sermon. I'll admit, it got off to a good start. I liked his three points he made early on.
                  1. The church has deficient Ecclesiology emphasizing the need to gather for worship. I thought this was a great point as I recently saw a poll saying 58% of US don't believe church attendance is necessary. Even among self-identifying Evangelicals, the number is 46% don't believe church attendance is needed. No wonder shuttered churches aren't a bigger issue. Even the Christians don't care.
                  2. The church has a deficient Theology of Persecution. I hadn't even thought about that and I agree it needs to be rediscovered and brought back to mind.
                  3. We have a deficient knowledge of Church and Secular History. Since I like history, I have a little more trouble connecting to this. In general though, I see the point and agree.
                  So good starting point and I was settling in to listen this through. Imagine my disappointment when he then says, "But I'm not going to cover these points." Instead he goes off on a sermon on what the Christian beliefs on how government should act. After listening a bit, I quit.

The government, US or Canada, won't care what the Christian standard is. In the US, we've tried to put some aspect of Christianity into government under the banner of Temperance Movement, Moral Majority, Christian Right, etc. The results are mixed at best although these groups should be commended for advocating the Christian position.

Unfortunately over the last 20 years or so, the church has neglected it's own house. One example is we put so much emphasis on evangelism that we neglected discipleship. Christians don't know what they are to believe and stand for anymore.

This is why his three points are so impactful. They speak to a church that has lost it's way. Fortunately, we not yet a Laodiceans church. Ephesus and Sardis seem to be the best fit right now. We need to strengthen ourselves and return to our first Love - not spend time talking to a government that doesn't care.

And now...
                  "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

A sad day.

Comment

A sad day.
                      wow
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

wow
                        I know. It surely is.

Comment

I know. It surely is.
                          I think I'm going to Facebook Jail for posting that cartoon about the 5-year old asking for cigarettes!

I sure hope I get out in time to livestream on Sunday.

Comment

I think I'm going to Facebook Jail for posting that cartoon about the 5-year old asking for cigarettes!

I sure hope I get out in time to livestream on Sunday.
                            I shall pray for you, my brother.

Comment

I shall pray for you, my brother.
                              Bake me a cake with a hacksaw blade in it! And I don't need no "two men" atop it!

Comment