Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why the Church is Weak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Church is Weak

I was watching a video and really related to what the man was saying. He was talking about the reason the church in the US is so weak these days. I want to see how much posters here agree or disagree with these points.

He had 12 points. I think that was to fill an allotted time slot. I found them a little repetitive so I've consolidate them to 5:
    1. Political Activism: Christians should be involved in politics. The church should not be a political action committee.
    2. Church as Entertainment: Christian TV and Hipster or Rock-star Pastors have cheapened the Christian message.
    3. Scandals: the one constant through all the years.
    4. Weak Evangelism: instead of the members doing evangelism, now we try to do it in the church service. The service instead of being for the members is soft so the unbeliever will be attracted in. He's not a fan of the seeker sensitive movement. The result is false conversions as people don't have a conviction of sin.
    5. Low View of the Bible: Post Modernism has caused everyone to say what does the Bible mean to me as opposed to being an authority. The Prosperity Gospel, Neo Gospel has changed the message from a relationship with God to solving personal issues. I've personally been in a church the substituted the Bible with a watered down paraphrase.
    A few comments. While he's calls on pastors to be qualified, I think he misses how much the elders have failed to maintain the church. I've seen too many unqualified elders in my time. I think in general, the church needs better leadership beyond just the pastor.

I think he's also missing what I think will be the next scandal in the church. The number of pastors and leaders who don't believe in God anymore. I think too many are just going through the motions rather than admit they've become agnostic or atheist.

Here's a link. The video is about 30 minutes long. https://wretched.org/12-reasons-why-...ch-is-so-weak/
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

I really like Wretched. I absolutely agree with him and with your condensation of the main points. Spot on.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I remembered the other item I think he missed. The church has bought into society's view that men do not have a useful contribution to make and everything needs to be centered on women. Men just stop going to church when they're not ministered to and bashed from the pulpit. The classic example: Mother's Day: "women, you're doing great." Father's Day: "men, you got to do better."
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
        I remembered the other item I think he missed. The church has bought into society's view that men do not have a useful contribution to make and everything needs to be centered on women. Men just stop going to church when they're not ministered to and bashed from the pulpit. The classic example: Mother's Day: "women, you're doing great." Father's Day: "men, you got to do better."
        That's because most pastors have wives.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have to admit, I've got some pretty good men.

We have a "Pastor & Men - Tuesdays @ 10" meeting where the men of the church can come by for a cup of coffee and spend some time with the pastor.
          Since most of our deacons / elders are retired, or in positions at work where they can take Tuesday mornings off, we usually have a good group meeting.
          The purpose was for the pastor to have a "sounding board" for ideas, projects, proposals -- kind of a screening for issues that will go to business meetings.

The men who come are very faithful, some of them attending by zoom if they're out of town or have to work or home for Covid or whatever.

Fact is - particularly because of Covid - this group has functioned as a kind of deacon and elder meeting, as we have not been having business meetings.
          The Church seems totally fine with that.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I have to admit, I've got some pretty good men.

We have a "Pastor & Men - Tuesdays @ 10" meeting where the men of the church can come by for a cup of coffee and spend some time with the pastor.
            Since most of our deacons / elders are retired, or in positions at work where they can take Tuesday mornings off, we usually have a good group meeting.
            The purpose was for the pastor to have a "sounding board" for ideas, projects, proposals -- kind of a screening for issues that will go to business meetings.

The men who come are very faithful, some of them attending by zoom if they're out of town or have to work or home for Covid or whatever.

Fact is - particularly because of Covid - this group has functioned as a kind of deacon and elder meeting, as we have not been having business meetings.
            The Church seems totally fine with that.
            But you have a strong pastor in your church, who rightly divides the word of God and doesn't buy in to all the social justice/women's "rights" poop that so many churches are concerning themselves with. You know and teach that it's all about Jesus.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

But you have a strong pastor in your church, who rightly divides the word of God and doesn't buy in to all the social justice/women's "rights" poop that so many churches are concerning themselves with. You know and teach that it's all about Jesus.
              We are in the process of looking at alternatives to Facebook for livestreaming - because Facebook seems bent on silencing conservative voices. Right now, it looks like their main focus is on 'politics', but simply preaching the issues, without even mentioning politics, can be seen as "politics". :sad;

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                ... it's all about Jesus.
                Hey!!! That could be our MOTTO!!!!

Comment

We are in the process of looking at alternatives to Facebook for livestreaming - because Facebook seems bent on silencing conservative voices. Right now, it looks like their main focus is on 'politics', but simply preaching the issues, without even mentioning politics, can be seen as "politics". :sad;
                  It is indeed sad, but not unexpected. Christ was persecuted, so shall we be, and persecution always purifies the church.

Comment

Hey!!! That could be our MOTTO!!!!
                    I don't know where I got it from!

Comment

A few comments. While he's calls on pastors to be qualified, I think he misses how much the elders have failed to maintain the church. I've seen too many unqualified elders in my time. I think in general, the church needs better leadership beyond just the pastor.
                      Far too many deacons and elders appear to seek the position as a way to promote themselves whether it be at the personal level, their business, or because they plan on running for political office.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's supposed to be about "promoting"/glorifying Jesus! Not some stupid political powee grab. Foolish humans!
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Far too many deacons and elders appear to seek the position as a way to promote themselves whether it be at the personal level, their business, or because they plan on running for political office.
                          Which is why I was always taught "never look for a man looking for the position - look for the man who's already doing the job even though he doesn't hold the position".

Comment

Which is why I was always taught "never look for a man looking for the position - look for the man who's already doing the job even though he doesn't hold the position".
                            That's how I ended up getting promoted at various places I've worked. I was already doing the job because it needed doing.

Ironically, the only time I ever sought a promotion I was turned down. The person in charge picked her best friend's boyfriend -- the least qualified person who applied. Nearly half those who would now be working under him quit in protest and I understand he was later terminated for theft.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I was watching a video and really related to what the man was saying. He was talking about the reason the church in the US is so weak these days. I want to see how much posters here agree or disagree with these points.

He had 12 points. I think that was to fill an allotted time slot. I found them a little repetitive so I've consolidate them to 5:
                              1. Political Activism: Christians should be involved in politics. The church should not be a political action committee.
                              2. Church as Entertainment: Christian TV and Hipster or Rock-star Pastors have cheapened the Christian message.
                              3. Scandals: the one constant through all the years.
                              4. Weak Evangelism: instead of the members doing evangelism, now we try to do it in the church service. The service instead of being for the members is soft so the unbeliever will be attracted in. He's not a fan of the seeker sensitive movement. The result is false conversions as people don't have a conviction of sin.
                              5. Low View of the Bible: Post Modernism has caused everyone to say what does the Bible mean to me as opposed to being an authority. The Prosperity Gospel, Neo Gospel has changed the message from a relationship with God to solving personal issues. I've personally been in a church the substituted the Bible with a watered down paraphrase.

I think he's also missing what I think will be the next scandal in the church. The number of pastors and leaders who don't believe in God anymore. I think too many are just going through the motions rather than admit they've become agnostic or atheist.

Here's a link. The video is about 30 minutes long. https://wretched.org/12-reasons-why-...ch-is-so-weak/
                              Those point to the symptoms of us living in the time where men cannot endure sound doctrine, and heap up these people to push these things. Brick and mortar churches are full of crazy stuff, and wolves.

Comment