Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Questions about Proving the Bible or Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Proving the Bible or Christianity

Suppose one could prove that only the Christian God can provide the necessary preconditions of intelligible experience, logic, science, and morality. Would this prove that the Bible is the word of God?

If someone asks you, "How do you know that Christianity is true?" and you answer, "John 14:6 teaches that Jesus is the way, the truth, and life. No one comes to the Father except through Him," would this prove that Christianity is true?

I asked someone this question: "What do you think of the idea that Christ's atonement is the only atonement that satisfied God's wrath as the proof of Christianity regardless of one's experience?" The person I asked said that this would only prove that the Bible teaches a particular thing; it would not prove that Christianity is true. What do you think about this?

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
    Suppose one could prove that only the Christian God can provide the necessary preconditions of intelligible experience, logic, science, and morality. Would this prove that the Bible is the word of God?
    I think it would depend on how one constructed the argument.

If someone asks you, "How do you know that Christianity is true?" and you answer, "John 14:6 teaches that Jesus is the way, the truth, and life. No one comes to the Father except through Him," would this prove that Christianity is true?
    No. Honestly, I don't see that response as even directly relating to the question.

I asked someone this question: "What do you think of the idea that Christ's atonement is the only atonement that satisfied God's wrath as the proof of Christianity regardless of one's experience?" The person I asked said that this would only prove that the Bible teaches a particular thing; it would not prove that Christianity is true. What do you think about this?
    The person is correct.

Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Thank you for answering my questions.

If Jesus is the only way to the Father, would this imply that Christianity is true?

I can see why you said that the person would be correct in saying that it would only proves that the Bible teaches a particular thing. Someone could ask, "How do you know that the Bible is true?"

Comment

Interesting questions, here's my take on them:

This is a weird framing of a question. To say the Bible being the word of God based on premise that the God of Christendom (let's assume this as "proven" for argument's sake) is the necessary cause of intelligible experience, logic, science, and morality, would imply that you derived what you know of the Christian God from another source apart of the Bible. Although to be fair, and considering what we know of God derived from Bible writ, there's nothing stopping God from revealing Himself via other means.

On another note, and framed in another fashion, I would argue that appealing to your necessary preconditions aren't enough to point to the particularities of the God of Christendom. Such attributions could fit to the Ik Onkar of the Sikhs, the Brahman of the Hindus, the God of the Muslims, the Great Spirit of traditional Sioux and/or Algonquian beliefs, or the Prime Mover of Aristotle's discourses.

Not really. A man merely uttering "I am the way", does not follow that Christianity is true. There's a reason Christ's disciples appealed to the resurrection of Jesus as the basis for their belief in Him and his teachings, and not just merely on His teachings alone. On a plus, the insanely radical nature of Christ's teachings alone (remove miracles and resurrection out of the equation) would have most likely have sent the Christian movement to an early grave, at best persisting on a fringe scale. The truth claims of the Christianity are fundamentally contingent to the historical reality or falseness of the Resurrection.

And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 1 Corinthians 15:14

I second what NorrinRadd said: Said someone is correct.
        Last edited by Andius; 01-05-2021, 02:09 AM.
        Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
        As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Thank you for answering my questions, Andius.

Comment

Thank you for answering my questions.

If Jesus is the only way to the Father, would this imply that Christianity is true?

I can see why you said that the person would be correct in saying that it would only proves that the Bible teaches a particular thing. Someone could ask, "How do you know that the Bible is true?"
            If you can "argue" somebody into the Kingdom, somebody else could "argue" them out.

Without the power of the Holy Spirit, our efforts to convince somebody that the Bible is true, or that Jesus was (and is) real are often laughed at and dismissed.

I have learned (and I don't know who came up with this originally) "share Jesus in the Power of the Spirit, leaving the results to God".

That does a number of wonderful things - it takes the pressure off me to "get a salvation" or "win the lost", because all we're told to do is to be faithful to share our faith, and always be ready to give an answer.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Someone could ask, "How do you know that the Bible is true?"
              Fulfilled prophecy is one way:

"Present your case,” says the LORD.
              “Set forth your arguments,” says Jacob’s King.
              “Tell us, you idols,
              what is going to happen.
              Tell us what the former things were,
              so that we may consider them
              and know their final outcome.
              Or declare to us the things to come,
              tell us what the future holds,
              so we may know that you are gods." (Isa 41:21–23)

"We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts." (2 Peter 1:19)

Blessings,
              Lee
              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment