Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Weeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Weeds

Scripture Verse: Matthew 13:3, 7, 22

Matthew 13:3, 7, 22. Then He told them many things in parables, saying: "A famer went out to sow his seed...Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants...The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word making it unfruitful."

© Copyright Original Source

It is so easy to get distracted by the world. Do you ever think about how many things pull your attention away from God? The ongoing drama of the Presidential election is certainly one of them. I've spent too much time in Civics arguing over it instead of focusing on God. Even spending time on TheologyWeb can be a distraction from God. Yes, there are certainly things that we need to set our hands to and do. But do we go do things that don't draw us nearer to God even if they don't pull us away either? Right now I'm struggling with potential advancement at work and finding myself asking if it's God's will or another distraction.

This doesn't seem to be a salvation question. In the parable, the birds eating and falling on a rocky place could be argued as not being saved. This says has no fruit. I suppose having no fruit means no salvation could be argued. I think it's more you're saved but were of little use to God. I feel this verse applies here
    Scripture Verse: 1 Corinthians 3:15

If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved - even though only as one escaping through the flames.

I'm not looking for an answer of how to clear weeds. As with most Christian issues, the answer is prayer and reading the Word and then following where God leads. I guess I'm looking for does anyone have this issue?
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Scripture Verse: Matthew 13:3, 7, 22

Matthew 13:3, 7, 22. Then He told them many things in parables, saying: "A famer went out to sow his seed...Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants...The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word making it unfruitful."

It is so easy to get distracted by the world. Do you ever think about how many things pull your attention away from God? The ongoing drama of the Presidential election is certainly one of them. I've spent too much time in Civics arguing over it instead of focusing on God. Even spending time on TheologyWeb can be a distraction from God. Yes, there are certainly things that we need to set our hands to and do. But do we go do things that don't draw us nearer to God even if they don't pull us away either? Right now I'm struggling with potential advancement at work and finding myself asking if it's God's will or another distraction.

This doesn't seem to be a salvation question. In the parable, the birds eating and falling on a rocky place could be argued as not being saved. This says has no fruit. I suppose having no fruit means no salvation could be argued. I think it's more you're saved but were of little use to God. I feel this verse applies here
    Scripture Verse: 1 Corinthians 3:15

If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved - even though only as one escaping through the flames.

I'm not looking for an answer of how to clear weeds. As with most Christian issues, the answer is prayer and reading the Word and then following where God leads. I guess I'm looking for does anyone have this issue?
    From my experience there are few Christians I know who actually read the Bible for their own knowledge. They think going to church once a week is all they need to do. They are lazy or they don't see it as important.

We all have distractions that might take the place of God in our lives. Going to movies; watching television, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post

From my experience there are few Christians I know who actually read the Bible for their own knowledge. They think going to church once a week is all they need to do. They are lazy or they don't see it as important.

We all have distractions that might take the place of God in our lives. Going to movies; watching television, etc.
      I'm really uncomfortable with saying there are levels of Christianity within people. I guess I'm concerned about being too judgmental - mainly they're not Christian enough to actually be saved. For me, the only connection between salvation and discipleship is you have to be saved in order to be a disciple. How much of a disciple you are in no way reflects on or diminishes your salvation. I believe a drunk in the bar can be saved even if he never shows one sign of being a disciple. If your curious, my take on judge not lest you be judged is Jesus is telling us not to determine salvation status of another.

I get that most churches will have many people who are barely along the discipleship path. I would hope a church would have enough more mature Christians leading it and striving to motivate the others along the path.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

I'm really uncomfortable with saying there are levels of Christianity within people. I guess I'm concerned about being too judgmental - mainly they're not Christian enough to actually be saved. For me, the only connection between salvation and discipleship is you have to be saved in order to be a disciple. How much of a disciple you are in no way reflects on or diminishes your salvation. I believe a drunk in the bar can be saved even if he never shows one sign of being a disciple. If your curious, my take on judge not lest you be judged is Jesus is telling us not to determine salvation status of another.

I get that most churches will have many people who are barely along the discipleship path. I would hope a church would have enough more mature Christians leading it and striving to motivate the others along the path.
        I wonder how many Christians know what being a disciple of Jesus means. Some Christians I know think being nice to people is enough, but that doesn't work for me because a lot of people are "nice" and they aren't Christians.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post

I wonder how many Christians know what being a disciple of Jesus means. Some Christians I know think being nice to people is enough, but that doesn't work for me because a lot of people are "nice" and they aren't Christians.
          You're probably right. I think the church has really failed to disciple it's members as Christians. There is certainly more to discipleship than being nice and the occasional social outreach.

Maybe the biggest failure is the church's total emphasis on the lowest rung, the seeker, and total neglect of people above that rung.

Comment

You're probably right. I think the church has really failed to disciple it's members as Christians. There is certainly more to discipleship than being nice and the occasional social outreach.

Maybe the biggest failure is the church's total emphasis on the lowest rung, the seeker, and total neglect of people above that rung.
            My church has failed in a number of ways.

Comment

While working from home today, the following thought popped into my head. "I work harder and longer at pleasing my earthly boss than I do God."

I get that I'm suppose to support myself and my family. Not sure that justifies all the time I spend working.

Comment