Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Acts of the Apostles - Sunday School handouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acts of the Apostles - Sunday School handouts

Here are some handouts with background research for the Acts of the Apostles. There are 312 pages total, but I would start out with a few to see if there is any interest in these.

Feel free to add thoughts or comments.

Acts 001-002.jpgActs 003-004.jpgActs 005-006.jpgActs 007-008.jpgActs 009-010.jpgActs 011-012.jpgActs 013-014.jpgActs 015-016.jpg
    When I Survey....

I hope these comments are the sort you are interested in.

Some things seem nice. The general appearance is nice. Also, it is decent having the quote of passages related to the verses in Acts. It would seem helpful to indicate that these are related passages. (But people might catch on quickly enough.)

I would expect the individual headings (like on page 3 and 4) to match with the outline (and it might help if there were page numbers). Also the topics on this page don't seem to fit under the outline topic on page 2. A shorter outline would be better. The missionary trips maybe would be better in some single line description rather than 3 lines

There was a question about misconceptions of the Holy Spirit but the answers were not in the text. I take it this is designed as a discussion topic?

There seems to be too much emphasis on the failed date predictions. Also, there is no comment about the dating and the failures. I take it that you are supporting a single concept of eschatology here but showing the problem of predicting a date. It may help to indicate that there are other eschatology theories.

On page 9, if you really mean "omission," you maybe need to use this in the text too. Maybe compare it explicitly to the Great Commission. (It may not have been a problem for the apostles to stay primarily in Jerusalem but it may help if they were traveling through Judea too.)

The booklet might be intimidating being 300 pages. If 10 pages were covered each week, it would take half a year to get through. This all depends on who this is for.

I might like it especially for the related quotes at the beginning -- but I'm not sure if this arrangement continues through the booklet. At some point, Paul's epistles can be related to Acts -- but this can be a bit controversial.

Comment

I like calling it "The Acts of the Holy Spirit (through the Apostles)"
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        I hope these comments are the sort you are interested in.

Some things seem nice. The general appearance is nice. Also, it is decent having the quote of passages related to the verses in Acts. It would seem helpful to indicate that these are related passages. (But people might catch on quickly enough.)
        The class wasn't limited to the content of these handouts. In fact, some parts were left out of the discussion. But at least it was something for the class to take home and study later.

I would expect the individual headings (like on page 3 and 4) to match with the outline (and it might help if there were page numbers). Also the topics on this page don't seem to fit under the outline topic on page 2. A shorter outline would be better. The missionary trips maybe would be better in some single line description rather than 3 lines
        Admittedly, I didn't adhere strictly to that outline.

There was a question about misconceptions of the Holy Spirit but the answers were not in the text. I take it this is designed as a discussion topic?
        Exactly. The intention was to leave it to the class to discuss.

There seems to be too much emphasis on the failed date predictions. Also, there is no comment about the dating and the failures. I take it that you are supporting a single concept of eschatology here but showing the problem of predicting a date. It may help to indicate that there are other eschatology theories.
        This class took place at about the time that Harold Camping made a fool of himself and started teaching that the church age was over. I'm not sure how much emphasis we gave it during class time.

On page 9, if you really mean "omission," you maybe need to use this in the text too. Maybe compare it explicitly to the Great Commission. (It may not have been a problem for the apostles to stay primarily in Jerusalem but it may help if they were traveling through Judea too.)
        One member in the class though I was coming down too hard on Peter. But again, it was for discussion: My contention was that the apostles neglected to expand the message to the Samaritans and the gentiles. That was why God called on the centurion to reach out to Peter, and why God used Philip the Evangelist (not the disciple) to reach out to the Samaritans, and why God allowed the persecution to spread the Christians abroad.

The booklet might be intimidating being 300 pages. If 10 pages were covered each week, it would take half a year to get through. This all depends on who this is for.
        There were other teachers and other subjects. We took turns every few months. They would teach on other subjects, then when I returned we went back to Acts.

I might like it especially for the related quotes at the beginning -- but I'm not sure if this arrangement continues through the booklet. At some point, Paul's epistles can be related to Acts -- but this can be a bit controversial.
        As we got into Paul's second and third journeys, I presented parallels with his epistles. Then when I finished Acts, I spent some time on Paul's imprisonment (was it one or two?), his prison epistles and pastoral letters.

When I Survey....

Comment

​Pages from the second handout. The person on page 30 is a blurred image of Jimmy Swaggart when he appeared with tears of repentance (?) on his weekly program after confronted with hypocrisy.​
          Acts 017-018.jpgActs 019-020.jpgActs 021-022.jpgActs 023-024.jpgActs 025-026.jpgActs 027-028.jpgActs 029-030.jpgActs 031-032.jpg
          When I Survey....

Comment