Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What do Christians need to believe in order to call themselves Christians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I'm not sure that his father being a Jew results in his coloring his view of Jesus being the only way to God. Of far more significance is his promoting Rob Bell's book. I rate your chances of bring change to him at zero. Of course, I'm a bit biased by my experiences where I'm zero for about five on my efforts to change or carve a niche within a church,

Also, it's interesting that I can't off the top of my read come up with a NT verse that says try to reach and reform a false teacher. The view seems to be they're dangerous and should be avoided.
    The Pastor said that if Jesus is the only way then what happens to his father?

I think my church has lost its way. I fear that other churches have lost their way too.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post

The Pastor said that if Jesus is the only way then what happens to his father?

I think my church has lost its way. I fear that other churches have lost their way too.
      I prefer not to get involved too deeply in salvation questions as I find they generate a lot passion and eventually name calling and other un-Christian behavior. Since his father is a Jew and I believe the promises God gave to Abraham and his descendants are still in force for the Jewish people, I say there is still a chance he could be saved. I'll leave it to God to work out the details. Salvation is a gift of God lest any man should boast.

A lot of churches have their way. It's amazing to find any are still on the way.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Andius View Post
        As others adequately put, the consensus achieved in 325 A.D. at the first Council of Nicea provides the codification of what constitutes a Christian, regardless of the plurality of churches that have taken place in the past 1700 years.

Yes and yes to the second and third question.

And Cow Poke also put it well. Once the creed is embraced, how then to act is just as important. Bearing fruit and all as testament if one is truly of Christ.
        Great to see you, Brother!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Great to see you, Brother!
          Aawwnn, thanks dearest Cow Poke! Definately glad to be here in TWeb.
          Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
          As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

What do Christians need to believe in order to call themselves Christians?

Do Christians need to believe Jesus is the only way to the Father?

Do Christians need to believe in the Trinity?
            I say yes, both of these need to be believed in order to be a Christian. and I’d also strongly add that belief in the resurrection is essential. I agree with an earlier post stating that God will not abandon the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. How that fits with Jesus being the only way, I am not certain, but I’ll leave that up to God and just continue to proclaim that Christ is the Ultimate Truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Kate22 View Post
              I say yes, both of these need to be believed in order to be a Christian. and I’d also strongly add that belief in the resurrection is essential. I agree with an earlier post stating that God will not abandon the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. How that fits with Jesus being the only way, I am not certain, but I’ll leave that up to God and just continue to proclaim that Christ is the Ultimate Truth.
              Thanks for mentioning the Resurrection as essential. Again, you won't think it would have to be said but these days it has to be said.

I would say it as "Bodily Resurrection." Unfortunately there are too many people who say "I believe in the resurrection" while thinking "Jesus is resurrected in my heart even though his body is rotting in a tomb."
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Would you say that anyone who claims that they are a Christian and still thinks Jesus is not the only way to the Father is not really a Christian?

Thanks for your answers, Guys.
                STM that if someone is acceptable to God, that person has to be acceptable to Christians as well. Regardless of that person’s beliefs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
                  STM that if someone is acceptable to God, that person has to be acceptable to Christians as well. Regardless of that person’s beliefs.
                  You're responds immediately begs the question: how does a person become acceptable to God?

Comment

I agree that behavior is an equally important question, maybe even more important, because the New Testament spends a whole lot more time talking about behaviors that will disqualify one from the kingdom. There's even specific lists that word it in that fashion. But the risk is completely brushing the question in the OP off. After all, Paul said that Hymenaeus and Alexander had overthrown the faith of others, the implication being that their false view of Jesus's second coming had resulted in those who fell for it being headed for damnation.

The fact is though that the Bible spends very little time detailing what specific things you have to believe to be within bounds, so we need to have a little humility and recognize that this is outside our scope of what we know. Jesus told us that we would know people by their fruits, not by their doctrines, so it's appropriate for that to be more of a focus.

The real problem is when people's doctrines lead people into disqualifying sins. Jesus warned of a "Jezebel" in one of the letters to the churches of Revelation that she was leading people in the church into sexual immorality, and this was a pretty big deal. The obvious example today is where churches teach that homosexuality isn't sinful.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Kate22 View Post
                      In John 8, He told a bunch of "descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob" that they had to recognize Him as "I Am" or they would die in their sins.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Would you say that anyone who claims that they are a Christian and still thinks Jesus is not the only way to the Father is not really a Christian?

Thanks for your answers, Guys.
                        I usually ask people, "By what basis are you a Christian?" It lets them explain what they believe.

All roads do lead to God at the white throne judgment.

Faith is only as good as the object it is placed in.

Chicago Tylenol murders

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Tylenol_murders

Product tampering seals were added to products after this happened. You can be sincere and be sincerely wrong. You can believe you are taking Tylenol but if it isn't, it won't help you. Where is the evidence people believe the right thing? People believe all kinds of things but it isn't based on the evidence.

I went to a doctor who was old school. My doctor never solved my issue and I had the problem over 20 years until people on Facebook gave great reviews to this new doctor that I saw. Its important to go to the doctor but not all doctors are created equal. Its important they believe the right things in healing or treating your problems.

The history of the Jewish nation was false prophets who lied and whom God didn't send. Jesus warned of false prophets. Jesus said to take heed that no man deceive you. Paul warned of savage wolves who would come in and not spare the flock. The apostles wrote for us to listen to what the apostles wrote.

If I said God told me its okay to divorce your wife, what would you say? God had the apostles and prophets write things down because man lies and you could tell me I'm lying because God didn't tell me.

These other ways are in a sense the same as idols. Their idols are just like the idols made out of blocks of wood that cannot move, see, or help people.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...20&version=NLT

Robots in the future may be able to hear and move and people can lie for their false gods or imagine a vain thing. Spirits can lie to them.

A lot of people make excuses because they want one foot in the world and one in heaven. Its basically a denial of the truth.

John 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

John 10:7 ¶ Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
                        John 10:8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

In John 8, He told a bunch of "descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob" that they had to recognize Him as "I Am" or they would die in their sins.
                          That's where they thought that was so cool that they picked up stones to throw at Him...
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment