Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Revelation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revelation 3:11

Text: (NA27):
    ἔρχομαι ταχύ· κράτει ὃ ἔχεις, ἵνα μηδεὶς λάβῃ τὸν στέφανόν σου.

Transliteration (Accordance):
    erchomai tachy; kratei ho echeis, hina mēdeis labȩ̄ ton stephanon sou.

Translation (TNIV):
    I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG, meanings in this context):
    ἔρχομαι ταχύ : I am coming soon.
    κράτει : imperative of κρατέω hold fast.
    λάβῃ : aorist subjunctive of λαμβάνω take.
    στέφανος : crown.

Comment

Revelation 3:12

Ὁ νικῶν ποιήσω αὐτὸν στῦλον ἐν τῷ ναῷ τοῦ θεοῦ μου καὶ ἔξω οὐ μὴ ἐξέλθῃ ἔτι καὶ γράψω ἐπ᾿ αὐτὸν τὸ ὄνομά τοῦ θεοῦ μου καὶ τὸ ὄνομα τῆς πόλεως τοῦ θεοῦ μου, τῆς καινῆς Ἰερουσαλήμ ἡ καταβαίνουσα ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ ἀπὸ τοῦ θεοῦ μου, καὶ τὸ ὄνομα μου τὸ καινόν.

Ho nikōn poiēsō auton stylon en tō̧ naō̧ tou theou mou kai exō ou mē exelthȩ̄ eti kai grapsō ep’ auton to onoma tou theou mou kai to onoma tēs poleōs tou theou mou, tēs kainēs Ierousalēm hē katabainousa ek tou ouranou apo tou theou mou, kai to onoma mou to kainon.

Translation (ESV):
      The one who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God. Never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name.

ὁ νικῶν : participle of νικάω conquer, be victorious, pendent nominative* resumed by αὐτόν
      ποιήσω : future of ποιέω make.
      στῦλος : pillar.
      ναός : temple.
      ἔξω : out.
      οὐ μή : with subjunctive emphatic negative referring to the future.
      *BG §25. The pendent nominative (nominativas pendens; also called, in Latin nom. absolutus, "absolute nominative" in English grammar; also called nom. relationis, "nominative of relation" because expressing the notion of "with regard to ..." is a form of anacoluthon frequent enough in vulgar Greek. It consists in the enunciation of the logical (not grammatical) subject at the beginning of the sentence, followed by a sentence in which that subject is taken up by a pronoun in the case required by the syntax, e.g. ... Rev 2,26: ὁ νικῶν καὶ ὁ τηρῶν ... τὰ ἔργα μου... δώσω αὐτῷ ἐξουσίαν

Comment

Revelation 3:13

Ὁ ἔχων οὖς ἀκουσάτω τί τὸ πνεῦμα λέγει ταῖς ἐκκλησίαις.

hO echōn ous akousatō ti to pneuma legei tais ekklēsiais.

Translation (ESV):
        He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

ἔχων : participle of ἔχω have.
        οὖς -ὠτός, τό : ear.
        ἀκουσάτω : aorist imperative of ἀκούω hear.
        τί : as indirect interrogative what.

Comment

Revelation 3:14

Καὶ τῷ ἀγγέλῳ τῆς ἐν Λαοδικείᾳ ἐκκλησίας γράψον· Τάδε λέγει ὁ ἀμήν, ὁ μάρτυς ὁ πιστὸς καὶ ἀληθινός, ἡ ἀρχὴ τῆς κτίσεως τοῦ θεοῦ·

Kai tō̧ aggelō̧ tēs en Laodikeia̧ ekklēsias grapson; Tade legei ho amēn, ho martys ho pistos kai alēthinos, hē archē tēs ktiseōs tou theou;

Translation (NRSV):
          And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the origin of God’s creation:

γράψον : aorist imperative of γράφω write.
          τάδε : these things, (classical referring to what follows) opposite ταῦτα (referring to what precedes).
          ὁ ἀμήν : the Amen, referring to Christ.
          πιστός : faithful.
          ἀληθινός : true.
          ἀρχή : beginning, origin, ultimate source.
          κτίσις : creation.

Comment

Revelation 3:15

οἶδά σου τὰ ἔργα ὅτι οὔτε ψυχρὸς εἶ οὔτε ζεστός. ὄφελον ψυχρὸς ἦς ἢ ζεστός.

oida sou ta erga hoti oute psychros ei oute zestos. ophelon psychros ēs ē zestos.

Translation (NRSV):
            I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot. I wish that you were either cold or hot.

οὔτε ... οὔτε : neither ... nor.
            ψυχρός : cold.
            ζεστός : (< ζέω boil) hot.
            ὄφελον : particle introducing a wish unlikely to be realized, would that! if only!
            ἦς : imperfect 2nd singular of εἰμί.

Comment

Revelation 3:16

οὕτως ὅτι χλιαρὸς εἶ καὶ οὔτε ζεστὸς οὔτε ψυχρός, μέλλω σε ἐμέσαι ἐκ τοῦ στόματός μου.

houtōs hoti chliaros ei kai oute zestos oute psychros, mellō se emesai ek tou stomatos mou.

Translation (NRSV):
              So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

χλιαρός : lukewarm.
              ἐμέσαι : aorist infinitive of ἐμέω vomit, be sick, μέλλω σε ἐμέσαι for future I will spit you out...

Comment

Revelation 3:17

ὅτι λέγεις ὅτι πλούσιός εἰμι καὶ πεπλούτηκα καὶ οὐδὲν χρείαν ἔχω, καὶ οὐκ οἶδας ὅτι σὺ εἶ ὁ ταλαίπωρος καὶ ἐλεεινὸς καὶ πτωχὸς καὶ τυφλὸς καὶ γυμνός

hoti legeis hoti plousios eimi kai peploutēka kai ouden chreian echō, kai ouk oidas hoti sy ei ho talaipōros kai eleeinos kai ptōchos kai typhlos kai gymnos

Translation (NRSV):
                For you say, ‘I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing.’ You do not realize that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.

ὅτι : (2nd time) = "...
                πλούσιος : rich.
                πεπλούτηκα : perfect of πλουτέω be rich.
                χρεία : need, οὐδὲν χρείαν ἔχω I lack nothing.
                ταλαίπωρος : perfect wretched, σὺ εἶ ὁ ταλαίπωρος it is you who are the wretched one.
                ἐλεεινός : pitiable.
                πτωχός : poor.
                τυφλός : blind.
                γυμνός : naked.

Comment

Revelation 3:18

συμβουλεύω σοι ἀγοράσαι παρ᾿ ἐμοῦ χρυσίον πεπυρωμένον ἐκ πυρὸς ἵνα πλουτήσῃς, καὶ ἱμάτια λευκὰ ἵνα περιβάλῃ καὶ μὴ φανερωθῇ ἡ αἰσχύνη τῆς γυμνότητός σου, καὶ κολλ[ο]ύριον ἐγχρῖσαι τοὺς ὀφθαλμούς σου ἵνα βλέπῃς.

symbouleuō soi agorasai par’ emou chrysion pepyrōmenon ek pyros hina ploutēsȩ̄s, kai himatia leuka hina peribalȩ̄ kai mē phanerōthȩ̄ hē aischynē tēs gymnotētos sou, kai koll[o]yrion egchrisai tous ophthalmous sou hina blepȩ̄s.

Translation (NRSV):
                  Therefore I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire so that you may be rich; and white robes to clothe you and to keep the shame of your nakedness from being seen; and salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see.

συμβουλεύω : counsel, advise.
                  ἀγοράσαι : aorist infinitive of ἀγοράζω (< ἀγορά market place) buy.
                  χρυσίον : (the metal) gold.
                  πεπυρωμένον : perfect passive participle of πυρόω refine by fire.
                  πλουτήσῃς : aorist subjunctive of πλουτέω be rich.
                  ἱμάτιον : (outer) garment.
                  λευκός : white.
                  περιβάλῃ : aorist middle subjunction of περιβάλλω put clothing on (oneself).
                  φανερωθῇ : aorist passive subjunctive of φανερόω reveal, show.
                  αἰσχύνη : shame.
                  γυμνότης , -ητος, ἡ : nakedness.
                  κολλ[ο]ύριον : eye ointment.
                  ἐγχρῖσαι : aorist infinitive of ἐγχρίω smear, apply ointment.
                  βλέπῃς : subjunctive of βλέπω see.

Comment

Revelation 3:19

ἐγὼ ὅσους ἐὰν φιλῶ ἐλέγχω καὶ παιδεύω· ζήλευε οὖν καὶ μετανόησον.

egō hosous ean philō elegchō kai paideuō; zēleue oun kai metanoēson.

Translation (NRSV):
                    I reprove and discipline those whom I love. Be earnest, therefore, and repent.

ἐάν = ἄν = "A particle peculiar to Greek denoting aspect of contingency, incapable of translation by a single English word; it denotes that the action of the verb is dependent on some circumstance or condition; the effect of ἄν upon the meaning of its clause depends on the mood and tense/aspect of the verb with which it is used" -BDAG .
                    φιλῶ : subjunctive of φιλέω love.
                    ἐλέγχω : reprove.
                    παιδεύω: discipline.
                    ζήλευε : imperative of ζηλεύω = ζηλόω envy; absolute be zealous/eager.
                    μετανόησον : aorist imperative of μετανοέω repent.

Comment

Revelation 3:20

Ιδοὺ ἕστηκα ἐπὶ τὴν θύραν καὶ κρούω· ἐάν τις ἀκούσῃ τῆς φωνῆς μου καὶ ἀνοίξῃ τὴν θύραν, [καὶ] εἰσελεύσομαι πρὸς αὐτὸν καὶ δειπνήσω μετ᾿ αὐτοῦ καὶ αὐτὸς μετ᾿ ἐμοῦ.

Idou hestēka epi tēn thyran kai krouō; ean tis akousȩ̄ tēs phōnēs mou kai anoixȩ̄ tēn thyran, [kai] eiseleusomai pros auton kai deipnēsō met’ autou kai autos met’ emou.

Translation (ESV):
                      Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

ἕστηκα : I stand, perfect intransitive with present meaning) of ἵστημι.
                      ἐπί : (with accusative) at.
                      θύρα : door = an opening to spread the gospel, 1 Cor 16:9.
                      κρούω : knock.
                      ἀκούσῃ : aorist subjunctive of ἀκούω hear.
                      ἀνοίξῃ : aorist subjunctive of ἀνοίγω open.
                      εἰσελεύσομαι : future of εἰσέρχομαι come in.
                      δειπνήσω : future of δειπνέω dine ; δεῖπνον was the main meal, usually early in the evening.

Comment

Revelation 3:21

Ὁ νικῶν δώσω αὐτῷ καθίσαι μετ᾿ ἐμοῦ ἐν τῷ θρόνῳ μου, ὡς κἀγὼ ἐνίκησα καὶ ἐκάθισα μετὰ τοῦ πατρός μου ἐν τῷ θρόνῳ αὐτοῦ.

hO nikōn dōsō autō̧ kathisai met’ emou en tō̧ thronō̧ mou, hōs kagō enikēsa kai ekathisa meta tou patros mou en tō̧ thronō̧ autou.

Translation (ESV):
                        The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne.

νικῶν : participle of νικάω overcome ; pendent nominative resumed by αὐτῷ.
                        δώσω : future of δίδωμι grant.
                        καθίσαι : aorist infinitive of καθίζω make one sit ; also intransitive.
                        ἐν : here on.
                        θρόνος : throne.
                        κἀγώ = καὶ ἐγώ.

Comment

Revelation 3:22

Ὁ ἔχων οὖς ἀκουσάτω τί τὸ πνεῦμα λέγει ταῖς ἐκκλησίαις.

hO echōn ous akousatō ti to pneuma legei tais ekklēsiais.

Translation (ESV):
                          He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

οὖς, ὠτός, τό : ear.
                          ἀκουσάτω : aorist imperative of ἀκούω hear.
                          τί : as indirect interrogative.

Last edited by John Reece; 10-05-2014, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Revelation 4:1

Μετὰ ταῦτα εἶδον, καὶ ἰδοὺ θύρα ἠνεῳγμένη ἐν τῷ οὐρανῷ, καὶ ἡ φωνὴ ἡ πρώτη ἣν ἤκουσα ὡς σάλπιγγος λαλούσης μετ᾿ ἐμοῦ λέγων· ἀνάβα ὧδε, καὶ δείξω σοι ἃ δεῖ γενέσθαι μετὰ ταῦτα.

Meta tauta eidon, kai idou thyra ēneō̧gmenē en tō̧ ouranō̧, kai hē phōnē hē prōtē hēn ēkousa hōs salpiggos lalousēs met’ emou legōn; anaba hōde, kai deixō soi ha dei genesthai meta tauta.

Translation (ESV):
                            After this I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven! And the first voice, which I had heard speaking to me like a trumpet, said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this.”

εἶδον, καὶ ἰδού : Hebraism meaning "I had a vision of..."
                            θύρα : door.
                            ἠνεῳγμένη : perfect passive participle (with triple augment) of ἀνοίγω open.
                            φωνή like θύρα dependent on ἰδού.
                            πρώτη for comparative, the voice of 1:10.
                            ἤκουσα : aorist of ἀκούω hear.
                            σάλπιγξ, -ιγγος, ἡ : trumpet
                            λαλούσης : feminine participle of λαλέω speak.
                            λέγων : treated as if Hebrew (indeclinable).
                            ἀνάβα (= ανάβηθι) : come up! imperative of ἀναβαίνω., cf. Matt 17:50 (μετάβα).
                            δείξω : future of δείκνυμι make known, show.
                            γενέσθαι : aorist infinitive of γίνομαι take place, happen.

Comment

Revelation 4:2

Εὐθέως ἐγενόμην ἐν πνεύματι, καὶ ἰδοὺ θρόνος ἔκειτο ἐν τῷ οὐρανῷ, καὶ ἐπὶ τὸν θρόνον καθήμενος

Eutheōs egenomēn en pneumati, kai idou thronos ekeito en tō̧ ouranō̧, kai epi ton thronon kathēmenos,

Translation (ESV):
                              At once I was in the Spirit, and behold, a throne stood in heaven, with one seated on the throne.

ἐν πνεύματι : 1:10.
                              θρόνος: throne.
                              ἔκειτο : imperfect of κεῖμαι (used as perfect passive of τίθημι) be placed/set, hence lie, stand.
                              καθήμενος: one seated, participle of κάθημαι.

Comment

Revelation 4:3

καὶ ὁ καθήμενος ὅμοιος ὁράσει λίθῳ ἰάσπιδι καὶ σαρδίῳ, καὶ ἶρις κυκλόθεν τοῦ θρόνου ὅμοιος ὁράσει σμαραγδίνῳ.

kai ho kathēmenos homoios horasei lithō̧ iaspidi kai sardiō̧, kai iris kyklothen tou thronou homoios horasei smaragdinō̧.

Translation (ESV):
                                And he who sat there had the appearance of jasper and carnelian, and around the throne was a rainbow that had the appearance of an emerald.

ὅμοιος : like.
                                ὅρασις : sight, dative of respect, in appearance.
                                λίθος : stone.
                                ἴασπις : jasper.
                                σάρδιον : carnelian.
                                ἶρις : rainbow ; ? colored halo
                                κυκλόθεν : adverb (from) round about ; as preposition with genitive around.
                                ὅμοιος : (2nd time) masculine in spite of ἶρις, but ὅμοια verse 6.
                                σμαράγδινος : emerald.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X