Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Revelation 1:7, and the "seeing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revelation 1:7, and the "seeing"

"Look, he is coming with the clouds," and "every eye will see him, even those who pierced him"; and all peoples on earth "will mourn because of him." So shall it be! Amen." Revelation 1:7

In my attempt to get my mind around preterism, this seems to be another "stumbling" verse for me.

So my questions are: can the Greek words for "eye" and "see" be understood in a non-literal sense? Are there cases where those Greek words are used in a non-literal sense?

Originally posted by Leaf View Post
    "Look, he is coming with the clouds," and "every eye will see him, even those who pierced him"; and all peoples on earth "will mourn because of him." So shall it be! Amen." Revelation 1:7

In my attempt to get my mind around preterism, this seems to be another "stumbling" verse for me.

So my questions are: can the Greek words for "eye" and "see" be understood in a non-literal sense? Are there cases where those Greek words are used in a non-literal sense?

I think that both are used non-literally in Revelation 3:18 (NASB).

I advise you to buy from Me gold refined by fire so that you may become rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness will not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see.

Comment

Greek words for "eye" and "see"

Originally posted by Leaf View Post

From BDAG:
      ὀφθαλμός (eye)
      2. mental and spiritual understanding, eye, understanding, ὀφθαλμοὺς ἔχοντες οὐ βλέπετε Mk 8:18.—Mt 13:15b; J 12:40b; Ac 28:27b (all three Is 6:10); Mt 13:16. ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς ὁ θεὸς ὀφθαλμοὺς τοῦ μὴ βλέπειν the kind of eyes with which they do not see (s. B-D-F §393, 6; 400, 2; Rob. 1061; 1076) Ro 11:8 (cp. Dt 29:3). οἱ ὀφ. τῆς καρδίας [b][color=red]the eyes of the heart (s. καρδία 1bβ and cp. Herm. Wr. 7, 1 ἀναβλέψαντες τοῖς τῆς καρδίας ὀφθαλμοῖς; 10, 4 ὁ τοῦ νοῦ ὀφθαλμός; Just., D. 134, 5 οἱ τῆς ψυχῆς ὀφθαλμοί.—Sir 17:8) Eph 1:18; 1 Cl 36:2; 59:3; MPol 2:3. Cp. also the entries καμμύω, σκοτίζω, τυφλόω.—W. a prep.: ἀπέναντι τῶν ὀφ. τινος s. ἀπέναντι 1bβ. ἐκρύβη ἀπὸ ὀφθαλμῶν σου it is hidden from the eyes of your mind Lk 19:42 (cp. Sir 17:15). ἐν ὀφθαλμοῖς (LXX; s. Thackeray 43): ἔστιν θαυμαστὴ ἐν ὀφθαλμοῖς ἡμῶν it is marvelous in our sight (=in our judgment) Mt 21:42; Mk 12:11 (both Ps 117:23), but ἐν ὀφθαλμοῖς ἡμῶν GJs 16:1 (as Lucian, Tox. 39) means ‘before our eyes’ (likew. Apollon. Rhod. 4, 1619 τέρας ἐν ὀφθαλμοῖσιν ἰδόντες=gaze with their eyes on the portent; Diod. S. 3, 18, 5 ἐν ὀφθαλμοῖς=before their eyes). κατ᾿ ὀφθαλμούς τινος before someone’s eyes, in someone’s sight (2 Km 12:11; 4 Km 25:7; Jer 35:5; Ezk 20:14, 22, 41; 21:11; 22:16; 36:23): οἷς κατ᾿ ὀφθαλμοὺς Ἰ. Χριστὸς προεγράφη before whose eyes Jesus Christ was portrayed Gal 3:1. πρὸ ὀφθαλμῶν before (someone’s) eyes (Hyperid. 6, 17; SIG 495, 120 [c. 230 BC]; BGU 362 V, 8; LXX; EpArist 284): πρὸ ὀφθαλμῶν λαμβάνειν (Polyb.; Diod. S. 26, 16b [s. FKrebs, Die Präp. bei Polyb. 1882, 38]; 2 Macc 8:17; 3 Macc 4:4) place before one’s eyes 1 Cl 5:3. πρὸ ὀφθαλμῶν ἔχειν (JosAs 7:6; Lucian, Tyrannici. 7; OGI 210, 8; PGiss 67, 10; Just., D. 20, 1 al.) keep one’s eyes on someth. MPol 2:3. πρὸ ὀφθαλμῶν τινος εἶναι (Dt 11:18) be before someone’s eyes 1 Cl 2:1; 39:3 (Job 4:16).—B. 225. DELG s.v. ὄπωπα. M-M. EDNT. TW.

ὁράω (see)
      4. to be mentally or spiritually perceptive, perceive (Polystrat. p. 5 ὁρ. τῷ λογισμῷ; Simplicius, In Epict. p. 110, 47 Düb. τὸ ἀληθές), fig. ext. of 1:
      a. sensory aspect felt: w. acc. of the ptc. (Diod. S. 2, 16, 5; 4, 40, 2; Appian, Syr. 14 §55, Bell. Civ. 2, 14 §50; PHib 44, 4 [253 BC] ὁρῶντες δέ σε καταραθυμοῦντα; 4 Macc 4:24; 9:30; Jos., Vi. 373 ὄντα με ὁρ.; Just., A I, 43, 5; Ath. 2, 3) notice, perceive, understand εἰς χολὴν πικρίας . . . ὁρῶ σε ὄντα I perceive that you have fallen into the gall of bitterness (i.e. bitter jealousy) Ac 8:23. οὔπω ὁρῶμεν αὐτῷ τὰ πάντα ὑποτεταγμένα we do not yet see everything subjected to him Hb 2:8. W. acc. and inf. foll. Dg 1. W. ὅτι foll. (M. Ant. 9, 27, 2; Philo, Migr. Abr. 46; Just., D. 23, 3 al.) Js 2:24; 1 Cl 12:8; 23:4; 44:6. W. indir. quest foll. 1 Cl 16:17; 41:4; 50:1; B 15:8; Dg 7:8. W. direct discourse foll. ὁρᾶτε 1 Cl 4:7.
      b. with focus on cognitive aspect: look at or upon ὄψονται οἷς οὐκ ἀνηγγέλη περὶ αὐτοῦ they who have never been told of (Christ) shall look upon him Ro 15:21 (Is 52:15).—Consider ὅρα τοῦ ἀγγέλου τῆς πονηρίας τὰ ἔργα Hm 6, 2, 4.—Become conscious of ὁ κακοποιῶν οὐχ ἐώρακεν τ. θεόν 3J 11. Cp. 1J 3:6.

Comment

As a supplement or addendum to my prior post above, consider the usage of ὁράω (see) in the following texts:

Mark 1:44 “See that you don’t tell this to anyone. But go, show yourself to the priest and offer the sacrifices that Moses commanded for your cleansing, as a testimony to them.”

Luke 17:22 Then he said to his disciples, “The time is coming when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it.

John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.

Romans 15:20-21 Thus I make it my ambition to proclaim the good news, not where Christ has already been named, so that I do not build on someone else’s foundation, 21 but as it is written,
        “Those who have never been told of him shall see,
        and those who have never heard of him shall understand.”

Comment

Sorry I forgot to say "thank-you" (it didn't occur to me till now, for some reason.) But I do appreciate the input. thank you both.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X