Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

In Honor of John Reece: Biblical Philologist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Honor of John Reece: Biblical Philologist

Mobile:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3x2SvqhfevE

Full size video:
    Last edited by robrecht; 12-12-2014, 11:28 AM.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

WONDERFUL
    O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

Hey!!! I am not sure we even allow some of those words whatever they mean!

Comment

Last edited by John Reece; 12-12-2014, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Absolutely love it!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"And proved the Philistines were almost certainly Canadian," I think that was my favorite part. I love Gilbert and Sullivan.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              "And proved the Philistines were almost certainly Canadian," I think that was my favorite part. I love Gilbert and Sullivan.
              I had a real hard time listening that fast.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Funny, though that bearded old man with the book is not technically a Biblical philologist. That's Sir James Murray, the first chief editor of the Oxford English Dictionary.

From wikipedia:

By this time Murray was primarily interested in languages and etymology. Some idea of the depth and range of his linguistic erudition may be gained from a letter of application he wrote to Thomas Watts, Keeper of Printed Books at the British Museum, in which he claimed an ‘intimate acquaintance’ with Italian, French, Catalan, Spanish and Latin, and 'to a lesser degree' Portuguese, Vaudois, Provençal & various dialects’. In addition, he was ‘tolerably familiar’ with Dutch, German and Danish. His studies of Anglo-Saxon and Mœso-Gothic had been ‘much closer’, he knew ‘a little of the Celtic’ and was at the time ‘engaged with the Slavonic, having obtained a useful knowledge of the Russian’. He had ‘sufficient knowledge of Hebrew & Syriac to read at sight the Old Testament and Peshito’ and to a lesser degree he knew Aramaic, Arabic, Coptic and Phoenician. However, he did not get the job. [Emphasis mine]
                O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I had a real hard time listening that fast.
                  You have to squint your ears to hear it slower.

Comment

Hi Robrecht,

. . . It's interesting to imagine the motivation for someone familiar with all those terms and phrases using that knowledge in that manner. It's like Borat meets Rashi.

XR

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        yeah

Comment

Oh, and that John Reece ain't as bad as everyone in this thread is saying.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Xtian Rabinovich View Post
                            Hi Robrecht,

. . . It's interesting to imagine the motivation for someone familiar with all those terms and phrases using that knowledge in that manner. It's like Borat meets Rashi.

XR
                            I think the motivation is simply not to take oneself too seriously, to have a little fun, kick back, and relax.
                            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Hi Robrecht,

>I think the motivation is simply not to take oneself too seriously, to have a little fun, kick back, and relax. <

While I can agree with not taking oneself too seriously, I can say that I know and use many of the words in the spoof and didn't learn them having fun or kicking back or relaxing. I learned them from taking study serious and burning the midnight oil . . . . A great philosopher (Martin Heidegger) said that using words in that way demeans the sanctify of language and dumbs down the memesphere. . . . Of course I realize that by speaking against such silliness I'm swimming against the current of current affairs and the lack of seriousness that's become the serious past-time and prime-time of the current world order.

XR
                              Last edited by Xtian Rabinovich; 01-11-2015, 10:53 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X