Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

In Honor of John Reece: Biblical Philologist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xtian Rabinovich View Post
    Hi Robrecht,

>I think the motivation is simply not to take oneself too seriously, to have a little fun, kick back, and relax. <

While I can agree with not taking oneself too seriously, I can say that I know and use many of the words in the spoof and didn't learn them having fun or kicking back or relaxing. I learned them from taking study serious and burning the midnight oil . . . . A great philosopher (Martin Heidegger) said that using words in that way demeans the sanctify of language and dumbs down the memesphere. . . . Of course I realize that by speaking against such silliness I'm swimming against the current of current affairs and the lack of seriousness that's become the serious past-time and prime-time of the current world order.

XR
    Shhhh...Shhhhhh Sh-Sh-Sh-Sh-Sh

Comment

Originally posted by Xtian Rabinovich View Post
      Hi Robrecht,

>I think the motivation is simply not to take oneself too seriously, to have a little fun, kick back, and relax. <

While I can agree with not taking oneself too seriously, I can say that I know and use many of the words in the spoof and didn't learn them having fun or kicking back or relaxing. I learned them from taking study serious and burning the midnight oil . . . . A great philosopher (Martin Heidegger) said that using words in that way demeans the sanctify of language and dumbs down the memesphere. . . . Of course I realize that by speaking against such silliness I'm swimming against the current of current affairs and the lack of seriousness that's become the serious past-time and prime-time of the current world order.

XR
      Nowhere did I say that one should learn these words in any other way than your serious study. I would like to see this quote from Heidegger about dumbing down the memesphere. I suspect you are taking liberties with his words. As for demeaning the sanctity of academic discourse, I think Heidegger himself is an example of how this can be done in a very serious and real way in his enthusiastic support of Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party, which, to his credit, he eventually regretted after the war.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X