Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Homage vs worship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OK, perhaps we have a problem here. Either you're unaware that Daniel, being part of the Old Testament, was written in Hebrew, or maybe you're playing games?
    I am well aware that the Hebrew Scriptures were written in Hebrew.

I do not play games.

Perhaps you can tell us why you're interested in the difference?
    A Muslim said the different translations were evidence that the Bible is "corrupted," and I wanted to set him straight with some help from people on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
      One example I gave on this passage was from the Hebrew to English.

The rest were from the Hebrew to Greek to English.
      This statement confuses me. All the translations you identify in your first post were done directly from the Hebrew OT.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Always best to eliminate the middleman when possible. Go to the source, or as close to the source as you can get.

Have you ever played "Post Office", or "Telephone"?
        These are really poor examples of "middlemen."

A rabbinic aphorism is that "Reading the Tanakh in translation is like kissing your bride through the veil."
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

A Muslim said the different translations were evidence that the Bible is "corrupted," and I wanted to set him straight with some help from people on this board.
          You could start by asking him if different translations of the Quran is evidence that the Quran is corrupted.

Comment

If I might kindly and respectfully suggest... a lot of times it really helps to start with the "why" of what you're asking. So many threads begin with a question that sounds sincere enough, but turns out to be an attempt to get somebody to say something they can be pounced on for, or ... whatever.

You might find you get a lot better answers, and in much shorter time, when you include the "why". I apologize for suspecting this might be a "game" you were playing, but all too often, that ends up being the case.

As for your Muslim friend, it would have been good to explain that "context" is crucial in understanding which meaning of a word should be used, when multiple meanings are possible.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              This statement confuses me. All the translations you identify in your first post were done directly from the Hebrew OT.
              Take another look. One was from the Hebrew to English. The rest were from the LXX -- Hebrew to Greek to English.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
                You could start by asking him if different translations of the Quran is evidence that the Quran is corrupted.
                LOL I already did. It is hard to get anywhere with a Muslim.

Comment

If I might kindly and respectfully suggest... a lot of times it really helps to start with the "why" of what you're asking. So many threads begin with a question that sounds sincere enough, but turns out to be an attempt to get somebody to say something they can be pounced on for, or ... whatever.

You might find you get a lot better answers, and in much shorter time, when you include the "why".
                  It shouldn't make any difference.

I apologize for suspecting this might be a "game" you were playing, but all too often, that ends up being the case.
                  Apology accepted.

As John Reece knows, I have a lot of questions. Some come from trying to explain to Muslims without making a mistake.

Others are my own.

For instance I have a question about something Apostle Paul said that I do not understand, even after reading many commentaries and even after a Messianic Jew explained it to me. I still don't get it.

Comment

It shouldn't make any difference.
                    I respectfully disagree.

I have a friend in Louisiana (a whole different Country than Texas) who's an older and wiser gentleman. I truly enjoy discussions with him, and have great respect for him.

I love the way he asks questions... (you're going to have to imagine the strong Cajun accent, cause I can't type it)

He'll as a question, then, BEFORE I CAN START TO ANSWER, he'll add "lemme tell you were I'm goin widdat"... and he'll tell my WHY he's asking the question. It saves a lot of time and trouble, and keeps me focused.

On a HUMOROUS note, here's an example I use...

A little boy asked his mom, "Mom, where did I come from?". She knew it was only a matter of time before "those discussions" began, so she told him to go ask his father. "Dad, where did I come from", he asked his Dad. Dad told him to ask Mom, and he said he already did, and SHE told him to ask DAD. They decided to have "the talk" after supper that night.

So, they sat Bobby down and very nervously explained about love and commitment and procreation and... even SEX.....

When they got all done, they asked Bobby, "any questions?"

he said, "well, wow -- that was all very fascinating, but what I meant was --- Jimmy comes from Pennsylvania --- where do *I* come from?"

It matters.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X