Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Gal 1:10 translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gal 1:10 translation

I have a question about the translation options of Gal 1:10.

Das (Concordia Commentary -- Galatians, 110) shows the translation of 1:10 as
    For am I now trying to persuade people or God? Or am I seeking to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a slave of Christ.

What options are reasonable for the translation of πειθώ? Is the word 'mollify' acceptable ( i.e., an option shown at http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...=greek#lexicon )?
    (NOTE: Clicking on the Autenrieth lexicon brought forth the translation to 'mollify' .)

I have in mind definition 1 at m-w.com
    to soothe in temper or disposition : appease

It seems that 'mollify' allows the idea that there is not a specific point or doctrine which requires persuasion. Neither does Paul seem to have a specific point to persuade others toward. (i.e. The question arises "What issue or point is Paul trying to convince people or God about, as has been raised in the first 10 verses? )

With a translation as 'mollify', the general mood -- of rejecting the false gospel -- provides sufficient context for verse 10. Paul would be seeking to satisfy God's attitude about Paul. Or we could say that Paul was interested in promoting God's interests.

In some contexts "please" does appear to have the connotation of "modify," at least somewhat, as in Gal 1:10.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

"Please" would be a good choice, "mollify" not so much. πειθω coupled with the accusative ανθροπους lends πειθω a meaning of "winning over/gaining favour" - as also at Matthew 28:14 (where "mollify" actually would work in the context).
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

For what it's worth, NRSV uses "seek approval", which I guess is "gaining favor."

"Am I now seeking human approval, or God’s approval? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still pleasing people, I would not be a servant of Christ."

Similarly REB, "asking for human approval."

Good News: "trying to win human approval."

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X